SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

And yes i will admit it 30 years ago i was a drug addict. So if you have never walked the walk your book learning doesn't mean squat. and i put that nicely. Would i smoke MJ if it was legal? yes because i know that MJ was not what hooked me on hard drugs.
Hanging around w/ people that used cocaine and heroin and speed was what got me hooked,
smoking a bowl after work to relax or relieve pain is a whole lot better on your body than the 8-10 ounces of whiskey or the addictive pain killers that doctors will prescribe like candy that it takes to get in the same place.

Last edited by eman; 03-08-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The law has the effect of training the conscience of young people. If drugs are legalized, young people will believe they are OK, and abuse among teens and availability will be much more widespread.

Yes, teens can get marijuana now if they want it bad enough. But making it more available and cheaper will increase abuse among teens.

Stating theory as though it's fact.

This poll brought to you by Big League Chew bubble gum
Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
And yes i will admit it 30 years ago i was a drug addict. So if you have never walked the walk your book learning doesn't mean squat. and i put that nicely. Would i smoke MJ if it was legal? yes because i know that MJ was not what hooked me on hard drugs.
Hanging around w/ people that used cocaine and heroin and speed was what got me hooked,
smoking a bowl after work to relax or relieve pain is a whole lot better on your body than the 8-10 ounces of whiskey or the addictive pain killers that doctors will prescribe like candy that it takes to get in the same place.

Good stuff. Weed isn't the gateway. The fact that you have to hang around with people who break the law is the gateway.

D.A. R. E. Introducing kids to drugs since 1995

I was never curious or knew anything about drugs until 5 th grade when officer Ballard came in and told us pot was as bad as heroin. Then once I smoked pot I was no longer scared of the other ones because I knew he was lying about weed.
Which was a mistake.

Remember when Ronald Regan said one toke from a joint is equal to being at ground zero of nuclear blast.

Ha ha ha.

Spiral Out
Old 03-09-2014, 03:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

You don't need to participate criminal acts yourself to be an eyewitness to the destruction the criminal acts can cause. I grew up in the streets of New Orleans and I had both immediate and extended family members who were drug dealers and abusers. Just because I did not smoke weed personally does not mean I do not have first hand, eyewitness experience of the destruction it causes. Seeing the destruction with one's own eyes does not make it hearsay.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Ling

Ok
so the purely anecdotal stories of the losers you hung around is why we should criminalize a big chunk of the populous ??

Here is a anecdotal piece.

I hang around Drs , lawyers & teachers who smoke weed and they are extremely professional and successful .

So legalize.

I really don't know how many more ways you can lose this argument.

Spiral Out
Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Go pop those perc's for your body pain!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Reading the article carefully reveals that this was the first woman in the UK to be documented as dying from cannabis overdose. The first man in the UK to be documented as dying from a cannabis overdose was a decade ago. Apparently, men either tend to abuse the drug more or they are more susceptible to fatal overdoses.

The challenge of safe dosing is one issue that makes cannabis dangerous in ways that alcohol is not. This woman was killed by half a joint. Even states where weed is legal have not figured out the labeling, dosage, and potency issues for weed as is well known for alcohol. 1/2 a joint can lead to risky sexual behavior, impaired driving, and (as shown here) death in ways that are simply unknown for 1/2 a beer or 1/2 a glass of wine. How many buddies ever said the next morning, "Wow, I was trashed after 1/2 a beer and banged the ugly fat chick"?

The safe dosing problem is well known with many other street drugs as well, and legalization has not solved the problem.

Got to be the funniest thing ive ever read. This dude can't be for real
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Ling

^^ like I said before.
Cannabis is so strong now a days it ruins the brains of people who don't use it.

Spiral Out
Old 03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Swordfish

I have friends and a family member that are / were professional bowlers. So growing up and seeing what they did and did not do makes me capable of picking up a 4 7-6 10 split ? Don't think so.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Swordfish

watched a guy get shot in the head w/ a 45LC so now i know what that feels like?
No i don't But ive seen it? Did it hurt ? Don't know, he may not have felt a thing??
But i saw it. . Glad you don't do drugs ,Glad you raised kids that don't do drugs. But don't come on here and tell me just because you have seen something and read some books that you know what is best for everyone, Mr macky syndrome at its best.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Saw a study somewhere that like 90% of cocaine and Hard drug users started out on Weed

My brother started out on weed and that lead him to all the hard drugs and he will testify to anyone that weed got him started on drugs
Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Anti-drug advocates who have admonished for years that marijuana is a "gateway drug" may be on to something, according to a study by Yale University School of Medicine researchers. But the executive director of the state chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws dismissed the findings as "just another propaganda study."

The Yale study, which appears online in the Journal of Adolescent Health, showed that alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana were associated with an increased likelihood of prescription drug abuse in men 18 to 25. In women of that age, only marijuana use was linked with a higher likelihood of prescription drug abuse.

For years, researchers have looked at a connection between marijuana and hard drugs, such as cocaine and heroin, said Lynn Fiellin, the study's lead author and an associate professor of medicine at the Yale University School of Medicine. But given the large number of people who abuse prescription drugs -- particularly opioids (or painkillers) such as OxyContin and Percocet -- Fiellin said it seemed worthwhile to examine whether there was a link between marijuana and use of these drugs.

"I don't think the general population has a good idea of how serious the problem is with prescription opioids," Fiellin said. "When they're abused or misused, these are hard drugs."

According to the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, which is done by the national Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, about 5 million people were current users of prescription painkillers.

In their research, Fiellin and her team looked at data from the 2006, 2007 and 2008 versions of the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, as those were the most recent surveys available at the time of their study. The Yale researchers focused on a sample of 55,215 18- to 25-year-olds. Of those, 6,496, about 12 percent, reported that they were abusing prescription opioids. Of the group abusing these drugs, about 57 percent had used alcohol, 56 percent had smoked cigarettes and 34 percent had used marijuana.

The study found that, among both men and women, those who had used marijuana were 2.5 times more likely than those their age who abstained to later dabble in prescription drugs. Also, young men who drank alcohol or smoked cigarettes were 25 percent more likely to abuse prescription opioids. However, the study didn't show an association between alcohol or cigarette use in young women and later use of prescription drugs.

Erik Williams, executive director of the Connecticut chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said the study fails to make a strong link between marijuana and the use of harder drugs. NORML is a nonprofit, public-interest lobby that supports the removal of criminal penalties for possession and use of marijuana by adults.

"This is just another propaganda study that tries to turn a casual relationship into a causal relationship," Williams said. "There's no real conclusive evidence here."

Fiellin conceded that more research is needed to prove a concrete connection between opioid abuse and marijuana, alcohol and cigarettes. However, Fiellin said, this study is a start.

"It's a red flag," she said. "It sort of highlights that there's a potential association that's important here."

At least one area mental health professional said the Yale findings don't come as a surprise. Susannah Tung, a staff psychiatrist at St. Vincent's Behavioral Health in Westport, said she works with people battling addiction and frequently sees how early use of alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana can open the door to harder substances.

"If you start using something, it easily and quickly worsens," Tung said.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Swordfish

You are right just like 90% of fishermen started w/ bream fishing.
like i said i smoked weed before i did hard drugs . But was it the weed that caused it? no it was me hanging around w/ folks who did hard drugs .
I have MANY friends who have smoked weed since the 70s and still smoke daily.
They have never done any hard drugs and never plan to.
A few like me got into the wrong crowd. and went down a long road. A few didn't make it. I also know folks that never smoked a bit but were addicted to various other hard drugs. The weed did not lead him to hard drugs It didn't put a rope around his neck, Being w/ the crowd that did other drugs gave him the opportunity and he took the walk.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Ling

I saw a study that 100% of hells angles started on Tricycles

Spiral Out
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Ling

"Also, young men who drank alcohol or smoked cigarettes were 25 percent more likely to abuse prescription opioids. "

So cigs and beer are they gateway to pills?

All that study shows that the people that have a potential to do risky behavior do drugs. That is it.
A addict is a addict.
True most addicts start with weed
But those same people would have done coke or whatever else was offered first.

Spiral Out
Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Ling

Marijuana a "Gateway" Drug? Scientists Call Theory Half-Baked

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marijuan...ry-half-baked/

Spiral Out
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Crawling is a gateway to walking
Old 03-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Swordfish

Blame the drug, not the person

It's ok to blame the item when it comes to drugs, let's blame guns for killing people.

The highest people on here have never touched pot...

Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Swordfish

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394503333.759284.jpg

Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I have friends and a family member that are / were professional bowlers. So growing up and seeing what they did and did not do makes me capable of picking up a 4 7-6 10 split ? Don't think so.
I thought that split was a cakewalk for everyone. Killed ma first one when I was just three.lm ao.