SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607
Question Firewood

Last winter I finished off my supply of firewood that I had stored from a fallen Live Oak tree in my grandmaw's yard. The wife and I really enjoy burning the fireplace so I guess I will be buying firewood for this winter.

I know that I will go broke if I buy the small bundles they Sale at Albertsons so I am looking to buy a larger quantity. This will be the first time I buy firewood in bulk so I am hoping to get advice from my Salty Cajun friends.

Does anyone have any advice on where to purchase firewood in bulk around the Lafayette area? I dont mind traveling an hour or so for a good deal from a trustworthy source.

How much wood do you think I will burn in one winter in a fairly small fireplace? We typically burn 1-2 times per week. I am thinking 1 cord will suffice.

What type of wood should I look to buy or stay away from? As I said I have been using wood from a live oak tree but I know that there are many different options. I am looking for firewood that burns well but does not "break the bank." I do have a 9 month old daughter so the smoke produced would definitely be a factor.

What should I expect to pay for a cord of firewood that is chopped and ready to burn?

How long should the wood have been drying out to burn good this winter?

I appreciate any advice you all can provide!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Flounder

Cash: 524

White oak delivered in Alex in $100 per rick, 90 days seasoned
Old 11-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

What does seasoned mean??
Old 11-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

There's and old man on Pinhook that sells wood. He's next to Landry's cafe on the left before you get to Southpark. No clue on price or drying time, etc.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Flounder

Cash: 524

Cut, split, dried 90 days ago,
Easier and hotter burn
Old 11-12-2014, 09:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 View Post
What does seasoned mean??

Dried out so it burns better. As opposed to green/wet wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

There is a guy at possums tree service that sells a rick for $125 delivered and stacked and cheaper if you pick up.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Pguide View Post
White oak delivered in Alex in $100 per rick, 90 days seasoned

Do you have his contact info? I'll pick up next time I'm in Alex

Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Try your local jail. I know the Calcasieu Parish jail sells wood. Inmates split it and load it. $80 a half cord.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Dried out so it burns better. As opposed to green/wet wood.

Oooo
I thought it would have a scent when u said seasoned
Lol

Yea; gotta keep ya wood covered and dry.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 View Post
Oooo

I thought it would have a scent when u said seasoned

Lol

Yea; gotta keep ya wood covered and dry.

Haha. Gotta get that Slap Ya Mama on there and give it time to soak in

Old 11-13-2014, 02:19 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

IMO..... 3 months drying is really not enough unless it is very loosely stacked and covered, to allow better drying.

First picture is showing some would stacked for drying.

Next 2 pictures are the before and after splitting. In front of the logs, I was "cutting" up leaves to put in the garden.

4 pic. is after stacking the wood.

This supply was a little over half burned up after 3 years..... so went out and filled up the back of my pickup with some cut up limbs a week ago.

I never have bought firewood....... I have always found where I can cut "free" wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire Wood 9-28-08.jpg (84.8 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg Fire wood logs.jpg (88.8 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0255.jpg (92.1 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.jpg (105.7 KB, 448 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 02:36 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

1996 was the year of the Ice storm in SW Louisiana.

We were without electric power for 4 days and we had just moved to Moss Bluff a few months earlier. I only had enough firewood for a few fires.

But we were in a new subdivision and there were several big stacks of trees left from clearing lots. We lived on the couch for 3 days in front of the fire place. Several times we went out and cut more wood. Often I had to throw the wood on the road to break off some of the ice.

With the fireplace and Coleman stove...... we made of just fine. You can really burn some wood when you keep a fire going all day for 4 days.

The day of the Ice storm, I was out Deer hunting and had no idea how bad it was back home. When I got up on I-10 to head home about 3 PM, I started seeing some vehicles with Ice on them. I thought the temp. was about 40 F and not 10 degrees colder.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 587

Here is a listing of heat values for different woods. I've found that white oak pops just a little but not bad. To me red oak is the best especially for cooking. Seasoned all summer is better than 3 months.
http://forestry.usu.edu/htm/forest-p...s/wood-heating
Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

There is a place that builds pallets on 190 close to BR that has hills of scrap blocks about 8"X8". For 20 bucks you can fill the bed of your truck or a trailer.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

In Pensacola, I pay $75 for a pick-up truck load. Add $10 for delivery, Add $10 if I want it stacked. This is seasoned (Cut and split last year) oak wood.

I usually get a truck load, and it lasts the winter. It is not my primary heat source. I burn a fire every night when it is cold.

Last year during the ice storm, we lost power. I hooked my Hurricane Generator up, and built a big fire.

We were able to run around the house butt naked, and hot hot hot.
It is just my wife and I in the house of course.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

We do not have a fire place in da house but we build fires in the yard a good bit. Pallets are a great source of wood and can be gotten for free mostly. I have a feed and seed place around the block that all I gotta do is tell them and I can get 3 or more pallets when I want them. Take em home wack em up with the skill saw and they make great fire pit wood. This year I scored a truck load of scaffold boards that had gotten old and been replaced. I have bought wood but seldom need to.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Pallets are a great source of wood and can be gotten for free mostly. I have a feed and seed place around the block that all I gotta do is tell them and I can get 3 or more pallets when I want them. Take em home wack em up with the skill saw and they make great fire pit wood. This year I scored a truck load of scaffold boards that had gotten old and been replaced. I have bought wood but seldom need to.
Yes, for outside wood, anything works. Pine trees are abundant here, but you can not use them in a fire place.

And as far as pallets, there are hundreds for free around here. Many do use them in the fire place. The ones that are oak. But they do need to be busted apart. The nails will be scooped up when the fireplace is cleaned and collected with a magnet
Old 11-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
We do not have a fire place in da house but we build fires in the yard a good bit. Pallets are a great source of wood and can be gotten for free mostly. I have a feed and seed place around the block that all I gotta do is tell them and I can get 3 or more pallets when I want them. Take em home wack em up with the skill saw and they make great fire pit wood. This year I scored a truck load of scaffold boards that had gotten old and been replaced. I have bought wood but seldom need to.

True stamped scaffold boards dont burn very well, they are treated with a flame retardant.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 494

I have been cutting, splitting, and burning wood my entire life, and I aint no spring chicken. How much is a "rick"? I hear it used all the time but as far as I have been abke to determine, a rick is however much Ricky wants it to be. The measure for firewood is "cord" " half cord", and "face cord". A cord of wood is stacked by volume 4 ft x8ft x 4ft. A face cord is stacked 4ft high x 8ft. A full size pickup truck stackec above the rAil to account for wheel wells is approximately a half cord. Well seasoned wood should have gone through one summer after being cut and split. I personally prefer a combination of oak and hickory, bt burn other woid as long as I dont have to pay for it. And I will not put pine, cedar, or hedge in my fire. Yall stay warm down there.