SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 608
Default Marsh Works Field Test

Today, Dut and I from Team Red Stick went down to Joshua's in Empire to try out some SWEET MarshWorks baits.

Dut will come around later to give a full synopsis of the morning, but in my own opinion, these baits should come with a warning label: Be Prepared to Catch BIG Fish. I don't know what it is about them, but they produce solid bites from solid fish. Not only do they bring in the fish, but they're sturdy and you never second guess if they'll hold the fish.

All of our fish were caught with the Bayou Thumper Spinnerbait, Dut mainly used Avocado and I, Voodoo Brew.

As I said earlier, Dut will come around with a better overview of what we did, but my early take is that these baits are the way to go! String your reel with some 15-20lb test, set your drag to let these babies run, and strap yourself in for the ride.

Marsh Works produce!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Thanks for the Field report
Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

we need pics of these bad baits
Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Red Snapper

Dut took the pictures and will post them.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Hit the water around 7 this morning with “BottomOfTheBoot". The fog was as thick as it gets and didn’t clear out until about 11AM. We couldn’t see more than 30ft in front of us so we dug deep into the marsh just south of Joshua’s in Empire, La. As predicted the redfish where there waiting on us chasing bait everywhere. The water was extremely clear close to the launch and the fish were very skittish. After slinging one of the new Marsh Works buzz baits for about 30 minutes I realized no matter how many times I threw a top-water the fish weren’t going to hit it with this kind of water clarity.

So back in to the bag of goodies….Up next was a 1/4oz Marsh Works spinner w/ a Crockaine colored Bayou Thumper. Second cast I had a flounder at the boat, but do to my poor flounder landing skills, he was able to live another day. 5-7 casts later….Uh-oh here comes a man of a redfish like a torpedo to skunk the spinner. I never had a chance at this beast. With 12lb test and my drag to tight he made a fool out of me in about 20 seconds.

I had to go to the bag again. This time I’m tying on an avocado spinner w/ a red tail. First cast Big Bessie’s cousin shoots across the pond and misses the lure, but it didn’t take long to find her companion. The fish were everywhere but the water was extremely clear in some of the ponds which made it very hard to get the redfish to inhale the bait. They slapped it, ran up on it and dove away at the last minute, and even leisurely followed it to the boat in some cases.

At the end of the morning I was convinced that these were by far the best spinners and jig-heads I have ever used. The hooks were extremely sharp. Every fish I hooked grabbed the bait on the retrieve from behind and continued to swim towards the boat w/ the lure in its mouth. This was not the ideal situation to get a hook set, but after about the 3rd fish I realized a stiff hook set was not needed with these razor sharp hooks, and in many cases I believe the fish was already hooked before I could even lift my rod.

As for the spinners themselves….They are heavy duty and built to withstand some torment. The arms are stiff and allow the thumper to swim at a true 90 degree angle from the spinner arm with little to no flex. You can throw the 1/8th oz spinner a country mile, but beware the hooks are sharp and if you hit the reeds, you’ll be going get it 9 times out of 10. No more twitching your rod tip and bouncing it back out. Between the blade and the tail of the thumper, there is a huge amount of vibration sent through the water on the retrieve. It reminds me of a waker if reeled near the surface.

The only bad thing about these lures are….I do not have anymore!!!!!!! I started the day with 3, but came home with 0. The 3 biggest fish I hooked (all 27+) had a ball with my medium action trout rod and 12 lb test, but I’ll still ring this one up as a great trip.We brought a few home for the grill and also voluntarily/involuntarily released a few.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Nice picture.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Cash: 376

nice catch fellas . hey boot if only u could have used them for the tourney in chauvin.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster911 View Post
nice catch fellas . hey boot if only u could have used them for the tourney in chauvin.
funny thing is that I did!! I picked Yak'Em's bait bag and he put one in there for me.

The 26 inch red I tried to pull into the yak without a net is still swimming in Chauvin with a Purple Thing Bayou Thumper Spinner in the side of his mouth....
Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

nice report sounds like yall had fun
Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Cash: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomOfTheBoot View Post
funny thing is that I did!! I picked Yak'Em's bait bag and he put one in there for me.

The 26 inch red I tried to pull into the yak without a net is still swimming in Chauvin with a Purple Thing Bayou Thumper Spinner in the side of his mouth....
that would have got u a check for sure, just think how many u could have bought with that ..........!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster911 View Post
that would have got u a check for sure, just think how many u could have bought with that ..........!
believe me...i've pondered about it once or twice.

The worst part was the fact that after he broke off at the boat, he swam around in about 1 foot of water for 30 minutes. Every time the sun would hit the spinner it would catch my eye.

I chased that bas-tard around, but he never wanted to bite again.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomOfTheBoot View Post
believe me...i've pondered about it once or twice.

The worst part was the fact that after he broke off at the boat, he swam around in about 1 foot of water for 30 minutes. Every time the sun would hit the spinner it would catch my eye.

I chased that bas-tard around, but he never wanted to bite again.

the makings of a fish story ladies and gentlemen lol

jk i can vouch for him
Old 12-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 784

fellas, just plain solid. let's get ready to poke some toads this year.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

im telling you the big fish love these baits, its really amazing

dont use them if you want to catch anything under 18 lol