SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271
Default water softeners

Guys, I just purchased a home and it needs a water softener ASAP. I'm doing all the research I can, but I figured why not ask my trustworthy friends here! So if you have one, let me know what kind and what you think of it. I'm working with well water at the new place, so it needs to be able to handle that. Looks like Morton softeners are supposed to be awesome, but I can't find where you can buy them in a store, so if you know that, let me know as well.

Thanks fellas!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default Culligan

Talk to Jason at Culligan. He's been servicing my RO system for 10 years and is a fisherman/hunter from Arnaudville. 337-233-1645
Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

I have some similar issues, did some research and found nothing as well. Used to have a well and had the water softener and RO system with Ultra Violet light. Was already installed do not remember the brand.

I have received a quote from Judice in Broussard, and to me it seemed a bit steep for the price, so we held off for now but I may still look for one good thing is it was a turn key price. I can check with my neighbor, we were talking about a softener this summer and the prices he mention were much more in my price range, but would require me to install and I am no plumber.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834
Default water softeners

I have bought two for my old house(well water) and current house(city water). I bought both from an online retailer. Apluswaterllc.com was the one I used. Get your water tested and size softener accordingly. Also get a carbon filter tank and install it before the softener. I installed each softener myself and saved almost $1500 each. I will never own a house without one. The only difficult issue is installing one on city water because you have to install a loop. If you don't know what's loop is then research on the web. Doing it all yourself and buying online will save you tons of $$$. The only key it to figure out a drain for the brine solution to go when it is used in the regeneration process. It's 50-70 gallons. And you will need a 110v outlet to power the control head. I have a Fleck 5600 Demand softener. Regenerates every 2500 gallons or 7 days, whichever comes first. I just changed my carbon media in my tank after one year and my wife could not believe how nasty it was. It was an oily black residue. And I'm on city water. And FYI, city water has the same amount of chlorine as I keep in my pool. And no one in their right mind would drink pool water other than my labs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Paulox86; 10-01-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
I have some similar issues, did some research and found nothing as well. Used to have a well and had the water softener and RO system with Ultra Violet light. Was already installed do not remember the brand.

I have received a quote from Judice in Broussard, and to me it seemed a bit steep for the price, so we held off for now but I may still look for one good thing is it was a turn key price. I can check with my neighbor, we were talking about a softener this summer and the prices he mention were much more in my price range, but would require me to install and I am no plumber.

The softener was quite easy to install man. Little PVC glue and some couplings. We are still determining how much we like it as we still have an iron smell coming from the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

A carbon filter should be able to knock out the iron.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

We have a problem with limescale. Would a water softener solve that, or a more simple form of carbon filtering do the trick?
Also, what are the visible advantages of having a water softener?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Carbon will not help with limescale.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Need a softener for lime scale. Advantages of a softener are better suds when you wash, better for appliances, just overall cleaner water.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
A carbon filter should be able to knock out the iron.

I will look into this! Probably a cheaper and easy fix than a home filtration, right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk