SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I had a few times last season where I'd get some hot and then panic not wanting to squeal a note or say the wrong thing with them close, and they'd lose interest and keep on keeping on. Talk about frustrating.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986

That is exactly what made me seek out a more realistic calling approach then lu lu,la la la,lu lu

I did burst method for 20 years before I got into what I do now---why? 10 years ago in my area lu lu la la quit being effective

It would trigger initial response,but birds would go stale real quick and it is one hell of a bad feeling to know you have nothing left to throw at them sound wise as they continue to avoid finishing,slide off to the side,or not even break.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg one View Post
That is exactly what made me seek out a more realistic calling approach then lu lu,la la la,lu lu

I did burst method for 20 years before I got into what I do now---why? 10 years ago in my area lu lu la la quit being effective

It would trigger initial response,but birds would go stale real quick and it is one hell of a bad feeling to know you have nothing left to throw at them sound wise as they continue to avoid finishing,slide off to the side,or not even break.
THIS^^ made me hate them even more each time it happened. In my situation, there were more factors than just lack of tricks that would get them to loose interest. Mainly the 100+ live specks a few cuts over that set up shop all second split. But, even then I think a lot of those geese were killable for someone that could finish them. I brought Hunter out there thinking he could talk some in to it. Ended up being a terrible day conditions wise, and they were not having it.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatte8 View Post
let the birds be the judge.......

with that said,
I've got plenty of pictures of piles of dead specks that were killed with an Xciter Bartender in hand...to say it isn't sufficient in making realistic notes is false.

It does not have the top end that a Redbone has, but there are very very few callers that can hit those notes anyway.
Got a bartender in route btw.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
THIS^^ made me hate them even more each time it happened. In my situation, there were more factors than just lack of tricks that would get them to loose interest. Mainly the 100+ live specks a few cuts over that set up shop all second split. But, even then I think a lot of those geese were killable for someone that could finish them. I brought Hunter out there thinking he could talk some in to it. Ended up being a terrible day conditions wise, and they were not having it.
Depending on how far away the body is you can usually break a few, but in that situation, I find my calling gets more aggressive if they leave they leave but I won't stop on birds like that. Just because your already competing with 100+ live birds. That is just what I do. And being able to regulate your air in take while calling will help out a lot. Anyone can learn how to run a call but learning when the best time to take a little breath so that you don't get out of breath plays a big factor.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
Depending on how far away the body is you can usually break a few, but in that situation, I find my calling gets more aggressive if they leave they leave but I won't stop on birds like that. Just because your already competing with 100+ live birds. That is just what I do. And being able to regulate your air in take while calling will help out a lot. Anyone can learn how to run a call but learning when the best time to take a little breath so that you don't get out of breath plays a big factor.
Good to know. Thanks.

Any pro tips on finishing them after you've got them hooked up? Or at least what not to do?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

Any pro tips on finishing them after you've got them hooked up? Or at least what not to do?

There are two things I will do 1) mimic the bird, every note it hits I hit. 2) this is my go to more times then not, clucking, double clucks single clucks low low when they are coming in slow and making sure I don't throw in something that isn't right. Avoid the simple mistakes when those birds really start looking and your success rate will go up ( at least for me it did). Don't rush the birds, blowing louder and faster won't do anything to help you out.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Trophy Trout

Now with a body of birds right on my a$$ That calling strategy will very.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Now with a body of birds right on my a$$ That calling strategy will very.

The Lord cant compete with live birds
Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
The Lord cant compete with live birds
If they are far enough away you don't think? Some of my best hunts have been when they are a few fields over and they fly to leave or come in and I get a hold of there attention.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Flounder

fields over yes but one cut over no
Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
fields over yes but one cut over no
no no I apologize, I was referring to as them being a couple fields over with that right on my a$$ statement.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

if they are coming in, keep it simple. let them come. if they are sliding off, just do enough to steer them back to you..
Old 09-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
if they are coming in, keep it simple. let them come. if they are sliding off, just do enough to steer them back to you..
That's what I've been told for the most part. This year will be another learning experience for sure. If I only kill 20 specks but learn half as much as I did last season I'll be content. I'll figure this stuff out sooner or later. I love to learn, kill things, and blow my call. So I think this speck stuff fits me well. I need to get off my a$$ and put together all my speck footage from last year to post here. I think you goose guys would enjoy it.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Flounder

I have been through the whole scenario. Learning to really run a call. THEN THINKING I COULD CALL ANY SPECK IN THE SKY IN. Being completely humiliated by the birds not reacting to all the fancy stuff like I thought. THEN,THEN I started to really learn once I realized working specks consistently is a brain thing NOT a run the wheels off the call thing. Putting realism WITH when to call and when to be silent AND realizing that response to yodel versus cluck changes during the season at certain points and weather conditions. THEN things start clicking.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
I have been through the whole scenario. Learning to really run a call. THEN THINKING I COULD CALL ANY SPECK IN THE SKY IN. Being completely humiliated by the birds not reacting to all the fancy stuff like I thought. THEN,THEN I started to really learn once I realized working specks consistently is a brain thing NOT a run the wheels off the call thing. Putting realism WITH when to call and when to be silent AND realizing that response to yodel versus cluck changes during the season at certain points and weather conditions. THEN things start clicking.
Very well put John.
Also, If any of you guys are on facebook and are part of Specklebelly goose callers I highly recommence Mr.Johns speck calling tips, has taught me a lot!
Old 09-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Very well put John.
Also, If any of you guys are on facebook and are part of Specklebelly goose callers I highly recommence Mr.Johns speck calling tips, has taught me a lot!
Ditto! He explains things very well.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Once u get em broke it doesnt take much. Its easier to push birds away with too much calling than not enough. If there's no wind let em drift wayyyy out before turning them. Its hard for some ppl to do but what you dont want is to keep them tight over the blind and any little movement and theyre gone. Typically once a group of specks are excited theyll start talking to each other. Let em talk.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Once u get em broke it doesnt take much. Its easier to push birds away with too much calling than not enough. If there's no wind let em drift wayyyy out before turning them. Its hard for some ppl to do but what you dont want is to keep them tight over the blind and any little movement and theyre gone. Typically once a group of specks are excited theyll start talking to each other. Let em talk.

Very good point about letting birds get out there a ways before turning them back
Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I am learning so much from this thread. Wish I could get in a blind with you guys and see it first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk