SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Redfish

Cash: 810

I too am a vet that supports the idea that our official language should be English (The official language not saying others can't be spoken). As long as the wording and meaning isn't changed and that the pledge is being spoken in Spanish as a learning tool I have no problem with it. If it is being taught other than a learning tool or paying culture homage I am against it. In the case of French (Creole French if you will) think of the men and women that have fought and died for this country that only spoke that language. Case in point is how Louisiana got to be Fighting Tigers (legend is it comes from the civil war). I don't find speaking our oaths in another language simply to understand it and learn is disrespectful or harms our heritage. I do think doing it for other reasons very well could. Ok I've run my mouth too much and its just my 2 cents. Basically there is no absolute right or wrong answer.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
The reason no official language is to keep the country as free as possible. 200+ years ago we had English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish (who at one time owned our little area known as Louisiana today) and many other settlements across the country.

I think the problem here is we associate this with our illegal immigration problems in this country. Language or an official language isn't the issue and personally I wouldn't support an official language. The last thing we need are more laws. We just need to enforce the ones on the books now and build a wall in the southern part of the country.

But our polititicians have no kahunas and are scared to be called cruel or bigets.

If your son is doing it for what he believes to be an attempt in the school to make a political statement then I say let him do it but I would check his grade in the class first. If he has bad grade then you might want to deal with it a different way.
He has an A in spanish. He likes the class but isnt willing to sell his priciples for a grade. This is why I suppport him. He's not a slacker.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
He has an A in spanish. He likes the class but isnt willing to sell his priciples for a grade. This is why I suppport him. He's not a slacker.
You should praise him for that. While I have no problem for learning purposes. You and he are in a better position to judge what is right in your situation better than anyone else.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

Then 100% support.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,112

Could another explanation of the situation be that the teacher thinks that the entire class could more easily learn the word associations in Spanish by using something that everyone knows by heart already rather than the teacher pushing a liberal anti white English agenda? I applaud your son for taking a stand bc he felt that it was wrong, but I can recall learning the pledge in French and it didn't degrade my patriotism or love for this country and I didn't think the teachers were trying to make the class into French beret wearing citizens.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

We used to say it and prayers in French in French class. I don't see anything wrong in saying it in Spanish. Many of our ancestors were persecuted for speaking French, even though they were good blooded Americans. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

agree with what he did
Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
We used to say it and prayers in French in French class. I don't see anything wrong in saying it in Spanish. Many of our ancestors were persecuted for speaking French, even though they were good blooded Americans. Just some food for thought.
This is very true but I have no control over what happened in the past.
I have no problem with him learning spanish. He will likely need it so he can understand what the local landscapers are talking and laughing about when he's in a store. That pisses me off more than anything. I hate being in a store and theres a group of mexicans talking that garbage and laughing amungst themselves. I would love to know w t f is so funny to them.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:55 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303

I also agree with what he did.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

agree 100percent
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Few things I learned about Nate since we became friends.

Loves kayaks

Above average fisherman

Hates him some Spanish !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Ling

haha!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

huh clampy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392997975480.jpg (52.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Ling

I just dont like Illegals! not too picky
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
This is very true but I have no control over what happened in the past.
I have no problem with him learning spanish. He will likely need it so he can understand what the local landscapers are talking and laughing about when he's in a store. That pisses me off more than anything. I hate being in a store and theres a group of mexicans talking that garbage and laughing amungst themselves. I would love to know w t f is so funny to them.

you lost me right there duck, your son should stand up for what he believes in, but someones language shouldn't be what "pieces" you off, language barrier is the problem not the language, i agree they should learn to speak english also, but how do you know they don't know how to speak english if they are talking amongst each other, it bothers me that there are people that think we should cater to them and we need to learn how to speak their language to make their lives easier, i know if i were to travel to another country i would want to learn their ways and their language simply to make my life easier
Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
you lost me right there duck, your son should stand up for what he believes in, but someones language shouldn't be what "pieces" you off, language barrier is the problem not the language, i agree they should learn to speak english also, but how do you know they don't know how to speak english if they are talking amongst each other, it bothers me that there are people that think we should cater to them and we need to learn how to speak their language to make their lives easier, i know if i were to travel to another country i would want to learn their ways and their language simply to make my life easier
This is exactly how i feel!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
I take issue with even the legal ones. Most of them anyway. In Alexandria there is a growing population of mexican immigrants. They do not come here and try to be part of American society. They come here and try to evolve their own little mexican society. They set up little stores to cater to themselves. You go in them stores and your azz better be able to speak and read spanish. Aint no bi-lingual stuff in there. They come here and expect us to bend to their ways.
I know this isnt all of them just a large number of them.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Redfish

Cash: 724

The most important issue - you chose to support your teenagers decision to stand up for his belief. Good parenting is what you've done. As a father trying to raise a child with American values I applaud you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
The most important issue - you chose to support your teenagers decision to stand up for his belief. Good parenting is what you've done. As a father trying to raise a child with American values I applaud you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Thanks dave. It would be different if he was a slacker and I thought he was just trying to dodge the assignment. He does really well in that class (school overall) so I know he is doing this purely on principle. For that he has my full support.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post

Just messing with ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk