SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

with all the new regs on fuel tanks and fuel tank vents for EPA emissions. you'd think the feds would come up with some standard for kill switches. the cost of new boats is going up because of the fuel tank thing, hate to think about the cost of some type of kill switch monitor.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I'd prefer to see the waters made safer by increased common sense and care, rather than more government regulation.

Life jackets and kill switches have been mentioned repeatedly. But moderation with respect to speed is also very important. We often see people going way too fast for the conditions/debris/traffic/etc. The probability of death and serious injury in boating accidents accident approximately doubles for every 10 mph increase in speed above 20 mph. An accident at 40 mph is 4 times more likely to result in death or permanent injury than an accident at 20 mph. Just because the boat can take the chop at 40 mph doesn't mean the chop won't prevent you from seeing debris in the water.

Stopping and turning distances are not linear with speed, they are quadratic. This means that the distance you need to avoid an incident is 9 times longer at 60 mph than at 20 mph. Even at 20 mph I ask the people closer to the front of the boat to keep an eye out for debris and alert me to any issues. I also often tool around at 5-8 mph in unfamiliar areas that may have stumps, shallow oyster beds, or pilings and in areas I know are prone to have lots of debris.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

there is no need for more regulations just because some people cant pay attention and do right. shoulda wore the kill switch that is provided and nothing wouldve happened. got wet, went home. ive seen a buddy of mine get thrown and swim back to his boat.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

but yes, sad to hear.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Fact #1- Nothing will ever be completely Idiot-proof.

Fact #2- If someone claims to make something Idiot-proof, someone will always build a better Idiot!!!

No disrespect meant for the injured boater, just my take on the attempts to make a boat completely safe....just the nature of the beast, it can never be accomplished but a bunch a money can be wasted in the attempt.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Fact #1- Nothing will ever be completely Idiot-proof.

Fact #2- If someone claims to make something Idiot-proof, someone will always build a better Idiot!!!

No disrespect meant for the injured boater, just my take on the attempts to make a boat completely safe....just the nature of the beast, it can never be accomplished but a bunch a money can be wasted in the attempt.
Doesn't take much money not to boat alone.

Doesn't take much money to drive at moderate speeds under given conditions.

Doesn't take much money to NEVER drink and drive a boat, even just a little.

Doesn't take much money to always wear a life jacket.

My wife and I do some consulting as expert witnesses in vehicle accidents and other examples where people win stupid prizes for playing stupid games.

On the road, almost all serious injury and deaths are due to some combination of alcohol, failure to wear a seat belt, and excessive speed for the conditions. (Texting and driving is the biggest exception.)

On the water, almost all serious injury and deaths are due to some combination of alcohol, failure to wear a life jacket, and excessive speed for the conditions.

Respect your own life and the lives of those on board and sharing the water with you.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

its not the size of the boat but the ignorance of the driver not to slow down when needed as seen here with joe jack arse at the helm:

Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 617

Still have no idea what that guy in the video is doing with the throttle. Why is he slamming it back and forth?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 551

the 37 year old man was highly intoxicated, no telling how he fell out but as the boat was doing circles he apparently thought he could grab the side of the boat to try and climb in, that's how it ran him over. Dr's did first of many surgeries today looks like they saved his hand so far.

Last edited by Bluechip; 06-16-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Flounder

Cash: 617

I'd edit that Capt b/c of hippa just to be safe
Old 06-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 502

Anyone have any updates on the gentlemans condition?