SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 750
Default Big Lake Boat launch questions

So I finally got my first boat about a month ago, and have been having a blast in it every weekend either fishing or hanging out at rabbit island w/ the wife and kids.

Living in sulphur, I've been launching either at Ellender's or Choupique Bayou every time. Used Choupique mainly to avoid the crowds while I learned how to load and unload, and the convenience of it, being that I'm pretty much doing everything myself. Now that we're more comfortable with it and my wife is able to park the truck after we launch, I was curious as to what boat launches you guys use or recommend for:

1) Fishing the South end of the lake (west cove/jetties)?

2) going to rabbit island/prien?

3) I assume Ellender's is as good as any for mid-lake?

Boat is a 23 ft ranger bay, not sure if that will narrow down my launch options.

(Also wanted to apologize in advance if and when I do anything stupid!!!!!)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

dang you launch that boat at choupique!! i used to drag bottom in my flat bottom in there lol.. once you get out of the launch it is deep though. honestly ellenders and west cove will work perfect for everywhere except prien and you can launch at the park for that. it tends to get really crowded in the summer over there with the party people but its big enough to never get backed up. calcasieu point is also a good place like ellenders but being from sulphur you wont need to go farther than prien unless your just wanna. calc point is just a short ride from ellenders, just north east of four corners in the channel.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
dang you launch that boat at choupique!! i used to drag bottom in my flat bottom in there lol.. once you get out of the launch it is deep though. honestly ellenders and west cove will work perfect for everywhere except prien and you can launch at the park for that. it tends to get really crowded in the summer over there with the party people but its big enough to never get backed up. calcasieu point is also a good place like ellenders but being from sulphur you wont need to go farther than prien unless your just wanna. calc point is just a short ride from ellenders, just north east of four corners in the channel.
Lol!! Actually, we haven't had any issues at the launch at all. The only issues we've had is where Choupique runs into the intercoastal. That area's SHALLOW!!

And thanks for the advice. I've never used the West Cove launch, where exactly is it? Near the Creole Nature Trail?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

yea head south on 27 for about 17 miles past ellenders and itll be on your left
Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

If fishing the Prien Lake, Lake Charles or Salt Water barrier area....... you could launch in West Lake. There is a small park and boat launch about 1.5 miles north of the I-10 bridge.

Do not use the launch on the east side of the river next to the I-10 bridge. There is [or was 10 years ago] a big drop off at the end of the launch where you could damage your trailer.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
If fishing the Prien Lake, Lake Charles or Salt Water barrier area....... you could launch in West Lake. There is a small park and boat launch about 1.5 miles north of the I-10 bridge.

Do not use the launch on the east side of the river next to the I-10 bridge. There is [or was 10 years ago] a big drop off at the end of the launch where you could damage your trailer.
Thanks for the heads up. Any other launches NOT to use?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Fishing prien I launch at prien lake park or at the base of the 210 bridge. Fishing big lake I launch at spicers on west side or launch at Hebert on the east side. I wouldn't launch a bay boat at the saltwater barrier. Pretty sure it wouldn't have much clearance under the railroad tressel next to I-10.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

You can launch at Spicer's in Hackberry if you need live bait. They usually have it there. Otherwise, Ellender's is good a spot as any. Spicers can save you a little travel time.