SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893
Default cast net

looking for opinions on a quality cast net. what brands are good. also, what size do u recommend. i've never thrown one before but i have a buddy who is good and going to teach me. he just buys the cheap ones from wal mart but i would like a better quality. maybe someone makes them locally?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

also what size do you recommend for kids. i have a 14 and 12 year old who would like to learn as well.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

You can't go wrong with the light blue dauphin cast nets if u can find them. IMO if you can't find them old salt makes a really good cast net. For you just starting out I'd get a cheap one just to learn on. You should do well with a 6' and you should start your boys on a 4' so it is easier for them to handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

what ever kind you get make sure it has real lead weights... I like a 6 ft
Old 06-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 696

I'm no expert, but I've tried a few due to losing them over the years for reasons unrelated to the nets. Namely by throwing them into unmarked net eating hazards. I like the Bett's "Blue" nets for their good quality, but I like their Bett's "Old Salt" w/ 3/8 mesh, 6ft dia. and 1 lb/ft lead better than their blue nets because I find them easier to throw for a long time. The Betts Blues are heavier to throw and make you cry a few more tears when you rip or lose one. I'm 5'6" and tried a 7 foot in the past and have trouble opening it, so I go w/ 6. I figure if I get a 6 ft 90% open, it's better than a 7@50% open. The Blue has 1.2 lb/ft, so should sink faster, but will wear you out faster if you're thinking of getting a limit of shrimp. But if you are just looking for bait, then maybe get the Blue. Now there are other brands, Calusa is good from what I read, has 1.4 lbs/ft of lead but starts about $139 I think. I'm sure others on this board have better experience than I and throw bigger nets, but this should get you started. I also keep a smaller 4 ft emergency backup in the anchor locker for when you lose your primary live bait net, which can ruin a trip counting on live bait. The kids will find it easier to throw a smaller (5'?) net to start so I might suggest a dual package like I have, one for them that also doubles as backup for you until they can advance to a larger size. Oh, and ditto on the LEAD weights. Don't EVER buy a cast net with the plastic coated steel BS. You can get Bett's on the internet, Amazon is how I got my last replacement.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

don't know about brands, i use whatever academy sells, but i've got 6 grandkids and untill they get bigger and good with a net, i give them the 3.5 ft. even a 3 ft for the little ones, but they're hard to find. with the little net, they can concentrate on just throwing the net without all the folding and gathering. being kids, they graduate to bigger nets all on their own.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:32 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

I've tried different brands, but I come back to Tyzac. I find they throw well, and open(spread) better than other moderately priced nets. I mean this thing really lays down well. I only throw a 6 footer.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Flounder

Cash: 582

I have two Calusa nets, they are okay for the money. Any 6 panel net will out perform one that is not of "panel' construction. Weight per foot is very important if your casting for live finfish, or large eating shrimp! The faster it sinks, the better. The tighter it holds to the bottom, the better. I have recently upgraded to a Morgan Custom net, and will likely not go back to a lesser net except to maybe have a "trash" net to leave in the boat for days when I need a few live finger mullet and am not trying to fill the freezer with Shrimp. Morgan nets are all chain bottomed like a true Mullet net, and nothing gets out of them... they are by far the finest youll find.