SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391
Default Puppy

Some of you guys that were on the "other site" might remember me posting in mid-February that I had to put my Jack Russell down due to an incurable disease. I swore I'd never get another pet but I've changed my mind. Question: Is it important for the puppy to be "AKC Registered" if I'm gonna have it "fixed" just as soon as it becomes of age? The wire-haired Terriors that I've looked at on the 'net that I really liked run anywhere from $600 to just shy of $1000. That's for "AKC Registered". Can't I just get a full-blood Terrior?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

I would think it would be like horses, if you ain't breeding em it does not really matter. That is, unless you are wanting something with a good verifiable bloodline. Being registered allows you to research the animal and get a better feel for it's genetics.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831

I just want give you a name suggestion. The name is "TIGER"
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Fixed, a dog is little more than a mutt. My mutt is fixed...He is bonafied mutt though. He is my best friend as well. If you aren't showing or studding the animal, who cares where they come from. BTW, my MUTT is half Jack Russell and half Min. Pin.! He's a nut!!...and his name just so happens to be Jack. LOL He's a cool lil guy that has traveled the country and my life with me. He's been there and put up with that from me and hasn't the first registration for it. He doesn't care and neither do I. Find your new runnin buddy and cherish him, regardless of breed or paper.

Just read my signature and you'll understand.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Fixed, a dog is little more than a mutt. My mutt is fixed...He is bonafied mutt though. He is my best friend as well. If you aren't showing or studding the animal, who cares where they come from. BTW, my MUTT is half Jack Russell and half Min. Pin.! He's a nut!!...and his name just so happens to be Jack. LOL He's a cool lil guy that has traveled the country and my life with me. He's been there and put up with that from me and hasn't the first registration for it. He doesn't care and neither do I. Find your new runnin buddy and cherish him, regardless of breed or paper.

Just read my signature and you'll understand.

ThrOUgh it all...............
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
I just want give you a name suggestion. The name is "TIGER"

Since it'll be a female...............that is a fittin' name.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Salty, you sure you don't want a little Shih Tzu. I have a male that is 12 weeks old looking for a good home. We asking 375, he is CKC registered. BTW, if you not going to breed it it does not matter if it it is registered.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

salty there are somany dogs at the pound that need good homes puppies and grown dogs that will most likley be put down if they dont have a home my wife is out of town but im sure they have some a her clinic holler at me if you want me to check. by the way both of my dogs are pound dogs and they are the best dogs i have ever owned almost like they know you gave em a second chance.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Salty, you sure you don't want a little Shih Tzu. I have a male that is 12 weeks old looking for a good home. We asking 375, he is CKC registered. BTW, if you not going to breed it it does not matter if it it is registered.

I'd much rather a Jack Russell but thanks.

Pox, check if they have any Jacks and get back with me.

I've found 3 that I really like. One in CA, one in IA and the other in FL. Would love to find one locally. I looked online at the classifieds in The Times Picayune but most had no pics.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Redfish

Cash: 652

Staffordshire Bull terriors.. thats what i got Elvis..
Old 07-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

salty get you a choc.lab. it will be your best friend

dont get a mini. schnatzeur...my mom has some "rare" colored one and i HATE that thing...all it does is YIP_YAP_YIP_YIP
Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
salty get you a choc.lab. it will be your best friend

dont get a mini. schnatzeur...my mom has some "rare" colored one and i HATE that thing...all it does is YIP_YAP_YIP_YIP

Just like you............
Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Just like you............
what are friends for.....
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
what are friends for.....

please salty...dont get a chiwaua (the lil mexican thing)
Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post

please salty...dont get a chiwaua (the lil mexican thing)

Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 604

Salt, it does not matter if it is AKC or CKC or whatever, unless you are breeding it to make money off the pups or your are enerting it in field trials. If you are looking to get one just for a pet then it does not matter. Just cause it dont have papers does not mean that it is not full blooded, just means that the parents or one of the parents are not registered. All that AKC or CKC does not mean anything unless you plan to do one of them two things. If ur getting it fixed then that eliminates one of them, and doubt it your gonna run it in any trials. Dont get me wrong a good bloodline is great, but because a dog is not AKC doesnt mean it doesnt have a good background. What it all balls down to is what you make of the dog and the time and effort you put into it, not if its AKC or CKC or HRC, AFC, or NAFC, or whatever.

Last edited by Capt. Matt Caire; 07-23-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

[QUOTE=Capt. Matt Caire;25613]Salt, it does not matter if it is AKC or CKC or whatever, unless you are breeding it to make money off the pups or your are enerting it in field trials. /QUOTE]

I would have to slightly disagree. I know for a fact that in the sporting dog breeds, there are many inherited traits and disorders that can be identified by certain bloodlines. People who want to minimize the chance of purchasing a dog with those traits or disorders (hyspasia, cnm, eic,.......) research bloodlines and choose litters correctly. The only way to make an intelligent decision is by researching bloodlines. No registration=no research.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Salty check for "CKC" registered Terriers, Price is normally lower. Lot of people register CKC because the requirements arent as demanding. I trained Labs for 20 years & all of them were AKC for the simple fact of Money. AKC, CKC or none at all made the dog any better. A hunter is hunter no matter what title he had.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,525

The registery on a dog is meaningless at most(to me), unless like everyone else said your are breeding and stuff. I will say that my brother does some of the most research on dogs backgrounds and only wants AKC and even analyzes their owners. With that said he paid over $500 for a big time AKC dog and it died shortly after a year. Never could find out what went wrong. My current dog was a gift from the mother-in-law...the only good thing she has given me other than my wife, and she is supposed to be a full beagle but she seems to have some Jack Russel in her. Her name is lady and she is very much unregistered and she is the best dog I have owned. I will keep my eyes open for what you are looking for.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

wait for mj estate sale can pick up a good one