SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

People's trash really irks me. I always pick up my trash and strings and kick my bycatch back into the water. I usually pick up others trash around me also.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I don't agree with closing it,but you are right.
Abuse it, you lose it. The good suffer for the bad.

How many times did you & your brother ever get in trouble because of something your brother did?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Perhaps they could do like what was done back home...

One of your choices for community service was picking up trash around the local lake. Yeah, I spent a little time out there doing it but, it beat the hell out of working at the library and really, we cleaned up a bunch of stuff!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Flounder

Cash: 645
Default trash

closing is a little harsh, my tax dollars should be funded towards cleaning stuff like this. it would also give people jobs to clean up that mess and jobs are scarce these days.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

There is no excuse in the world why a grown a$$ man or woman can't pick up after themselves. When we go crabbing we have some PVC pipe with our string and bait tied to it and we pick them up every time and all our trash. I'll be damned if I'm gonna pick up after another adult because they are too lazy and ignorant to do it themselves!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Right after our last discussion about the closing of Hog Island. I saw two or three cast nets left by the gully on the south side of Cameron LNG. Everytime I pass by there it chaps my butt. I can't just stop my rig on da side of the road or I would pick them up.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
closing is a little harsh, my tax dollars should be funded towards cleaning stuff like this. it would also give people jobs to clean up that mess and jobs are scarce these days.

well how long do you have to threaten and how many signs to you have to place and how many Tax dollars do you have to waist picking up trash and babysitting until you can close it??
Old 07-13-2011, 04:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
well how long do you have to threaten and how many signs to you have to place and how many Tax dollars do you have to waist picking up trash and babysitting until you can close it??
Good point .
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Did they rope off the closed area? Or chain it? If not WLF will have to go there to keep folks out. Could have been the same before. Ride out, write a ticket or two and roll out. It wouldn't take long foe them to get it.

On another note. I learned a long time ago that when your in the outdoors treat it well and ALWAYS leave it nicer and cleaner than when you got there.......thank you Boy Scouts.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

This is really referring to the by-catch of cast netters ie Pogies, being left on the beach to rot instead of release back into the water. The closure is to prevent us from contracting a disease from the rotting fish that has stacked up.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,009
Default Mudhole

Everyone should have Operation Game Thief and Rockerfeller LDWF in their cell phones and report these weir scumbags to the appropriate authorities. Having a warden posted at the weirs would only make the scumbags act like angels while LDWF is there but when the warden's depart guess what. It's just sad
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

i always taught my kids take you trash out and if their is alittle someone else left pick it up to because if you do this and i do this we might keep a few of the places left to fish open.for example we use to fish a pond from the river we would get out and tear up the fish word got around and next hitch me and him go and end up picking up beer bottles and cans.i told him throw them in the boat.about 5min latter a old man on 4wheeler cam buy and says where is those bottles and cans that was on my leave.my son said we picked them up and put them in our boat.the old man said were they yours my son says no but me and dad leave it cleaner than we found it.the old man said here is my name and number when yall get home call me i hace two more ponds on my property that you drive to i dont let no one fish but call and ill make yall a key to the gate.so that day my son learned a lesson that will last a lifetime.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Cash: 376

my take on this = no crabbing or fishing from the bank, just crab and fish from ur boat only ! that way no TRASH will be left behind !
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

i always taught my kids take you trash out and if their is alittle someone else left pick it up to because if you do this and i do this we might keep a few of the places left to fish open.for example we use to fish a pond from the river we would get out and tear up the fish word got around and next hitch me and him go and end up picking up beer bottles and cans.i told him throw them in the boat.about 5min latter a old man on 4wheeler cam buy and says where is those bottles and cans that was on my leave.my son said we picked them up and put them in our boat.the old man said were they yours my son says no but me and dad leave it cleaner than we found it.the old man said here is my name and number when yall get home call me i hace two more ponds on my property that you drive to i dont let no one fish but call and ill make yall a key to the gate.so that day my son learned a lesson that will last a lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Stuff like that is what I'm talking about! That's great!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail28 View Post
I was out there a couple of weeks ago.And DAM people
what the hell. If WLF would have been there that day
they could have made a fortune. Dead fish about 6 inch deep
and all the fly"s and smell to go with it.

I was there 2 weekends ago and the smell was terrible. By catch all over the shore and dead fish in the water.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default Here's the problem:

Has anyone heard of the "broken windows theory", i.e. one broken window leads to many more broken windows? That is what this is. Once someone leaves trash, bycatch, etc., the next idiot who doesn't give a S$$t, will think, "oh well, someone else left their crap so I will too". Yes, I am one of those who always picks up my stuff and whatever I bring, I leave with, but I suspect, I'm in the minority. I have been many times to the "mudhole" (and the "cement dam" and "LSU" and "crab city") and several other weirs at Rockefeller. Every one of them is full of left over strings, bycatch, torn cast nets, beer cans, empty water bottles, etc. In fact, the only time I have ever ever seen them fairly clean was just after Hurricane Rita, but it didn't take long for the debris to pile up again. I was wondering how long it would take the LDWF to finally get enough and close them down.

Second problem, for a agent/warden to write a ticket, he has to witness the offending party leaving bycatch, trash, etc. before he would write a ticket. Do you really think that if the people at the weir see a uniformed agent/warden there, they are going to litter, etc. while he is present?

I think it's symptomatic of our culture and I'm ashamed of our behavior.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

[QUOTE=cajun bill;285946]
Second problem, for a agent/warden to write a ticket, he has to witness the offending party leaving bycatch, trash, etc. before he would write a ticket. Do you really think that if the people at the weir see a uniformed agent/warden there, they are going to litter, etc. while he is present?
[QUOTE]

An agent doesn't always have to wear a uniform. I have heard, dont know if its true, but supposedly there are wardens that go out in plain clothes to watch people and then they report back to a warden at the launch or on the water who will find that boat and people and check them. A small hidden camera can go a long ways.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,083

where is the mudhole? sounds like most of the problem is rotting fish left behind from the cast net shrimpers not throwing them back in to the water when picking out the shrimp?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

If you know where the "cement" wier is located....

Go east to almost the end [2+ miles] and then turn into a smaller canal to the north and go up the canal about 1/2 mile and the wier is on the west side.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

I always pick up after myself. Sometimes I will pick up after someone else if its in the are I want to fish. For two reasons. One, simply because I cant stand it. Two, beacuse I dont want to end up with a ticket for trash that isnt mine. I understand everyones views, but the way I see it. If people know that someone else will just come behind them and pick up their mess for them, they will just continue to leave it for the next guy. More tickets along with community service to be performed in that area would go along way. One less agent on the water and watching for people littering instead could do the trick. Im my book busting someone leaving his trash on the ground is a little for serious than busting a guy who has one fish over his limit. Dont get me wrong, its all important, but thats just my $.02.