SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 818
Bounce Fossil/ Tooth Collecting

Hey guys, its been a while. I recently have become interested as to investing in fossils and collecting shark teeth. Do any of you currently collect or know anyone who collects these and are they a good investment? I recently purchased my first tooth, a Great White and I am excited to display it in my office. The next tooth I am looking at is a Large 6" Megalodon. Once again if anyone knows if I am wasting my time or if it would be a wise investment, please feel free to bash me! Thanks.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Seems like a very fluctuating market. No doubt you have rare items but seems kinda like a luxury decorative piece. If the market bottoms out and things are in a depression, I don't think the thing to sell out is fossils because they aren't useful except for decoration and to collectors. But once again prolly not gonna get premium value for that when the Economy is in the tank. But I'm sure it'd always be worth something and it is rare so in many decades I'm sure the value would go up some
Old 05-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Redfish

Yea the way i see it, they aren't making any more of them, and its hard enough to find fossilized specimens in the first place.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

One of my buddies parents have a camp on the beach between holly beach and Sabine pass and they find teeth all the time... The have jars full of em.. Pulled this pic off her FB page!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (105.0 KB, 182 views)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

If you have a bottle full of them do yourself a favor and google fossil teeth for sale.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Redfish

^^^Agree^^^ lol
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Redfish

That Large Megalodon looks to be 5-6 inches. That would prob fetch at the least $800..with the coloring it has, prob over 1K easy.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

When I was in HS they had a whale beach itslef and die around the Dulac area. Some of my fiends went at night with some channel locks and pulled some teeth out. They were some Indian fellas and supposedly it brings them luck or something to that nature.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHenry1 View Post
Hey guys, its been a while. I recently have become interested as to investing in fossils and collecting shark teeth. Do any of you currently collect or know anyone who collects these and are they a good investment? I recently purchased my first tooth, a Great White and I am excited to display it in my office. The next tooth I am looking at is a Large 6" Megalodon. Once again if anyone knows if I am wasting my time or if it would be a wise investment, please feel free to bash me! Thanks.
I have about 20 shark teeth and some ancient whale fossils from Caldwell Parish Never thought about selling them though. One is probably a megaladon, but its chipped on one side
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Redfish

I have been looking around. Depending on condition and how old they are, they can be worth some serious money. Fossil great whites go for 125-250 a tooth. (it is illegal to own non fossilized great white teeth though because they are endangered, or so I have heard because poachers in south africa are offing the whites because of the teeth to sale.) Large megalodons 6" and above i have seen go from 800-3000 depending on shape and condition along with the type of rock it was fossilized in that gives them a black, brown or in the picture above white.