SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 10-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 794
Default Thief in South Lake Charles

My neighbor called while I was on vacation this week. Someone stole my 4 wheeler. Believe or not, a sheriff deputy called Tuesday night and said they had found the thief riding it in the middle of the night, behind Pecan Acres apartments. When I got home, I had to pay $258 to get it out of the tow yard
Old 10-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 708

Why on Gods Green Earth would YOU have to pay to get it from a tow yard??? Wouldnt the THIEF be responsible for that???

What is going on in our world???
Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 365

I suggest you call the DA's office and seek restitution from the no good thief as part of his sentence, also any damages to 4 wheeler, garage, shop, etc. that he caused
Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

That ain't right... Someone steals your stuff and you have to pay to get it back..?

Call the DA and tell him you're seeking restitution.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Hey DeeCee you are welcome 😁
Old 10-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

And by the way consider yourself lucky with $258 and no damage. The rest of us weren't so lucky.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: 365

Sounds like good work by your neighbor & CPSO for your recovery
Old 10-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 848

Who is the tow yard turd charging you the $258?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

glad you got it back. I hate thieves
Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy1 View Post
why? they are just a local independent company trying to make a living is all they are doing. its not their fault that the sheriffs office didn't bring it to their own impound lot like SOP should dictate. why would you call and independent tow company to tow a stolen vehicle which is evidence in a criminal investigation in the first place is the REAL question needing to be asked here. if the sheriff doesn't have their own impound lot then the sheriffs office should be the one obligated to pay for towing and storage fees associated with reclaiming the stolen property to be turned over to the registered owner and those costs added to the crooks restitution in order to get out of jail.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 794

The tow yard I picked it up at was nothing more than a junk yard. There was a $200 charge to tow it and $19 dollars a day
Old 10-04-2015, 07:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
why? they are just a local independent company trying to make a living is all they are doing. its not their fault that the sheriffs office didn't bring it to their own impound lot like SOP should dictate. why would you call and independent tow company to tow a stolen vehicle which is evidence in a criminal investigation
Probably because the tow truck company and the sherriff's department have some sort of "deal" so that anytime the sherriff's office can give the tow truck company an opportunity to rip someone's eyeballs out they jump on it!

Tow truck companies are ruthless and not just a "private owned company trying to make a living." There are plenty of other ways to make a living that allows you to keep your morals intact and not thrive off of spending your whole day looking to ruin someone's day by towing their truck, most of the time when it isnt even necessary!

I routinely see employees from these companies riding around and looking for someone to tow even though they are parked in an empty parking lot and no one has complained.

Every time I have had the pleasure of dealing with a tow truck company I have been treated with a total lack of respect, felt like I was being robbed, and needed to take a shower when I left! MOST of these guys are lower than meter readers in my book walking around gIvins paring tickets.

I say "Most" because there is obviously room for legitimate tow truck companies for dialed vehicles or when law enforcement arrests someone and needs to tow their vehicle. I guess there could be some tow companies that is ethical and does their work in a LESS SLIMELY manner than most. I surely have not dealt with them yet, though.

P.S.: If anyone on this site works for or owns a tow truck company I am sure you are the exception to the rule and are a stand-up individual.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

$19 is the standard statewide daily storage rate. But $200 to tow a 4 wheeler ? Thats a rip off unless they had to have multiple trucks to get it out of the swamp somewhere.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

pay the fees, get your property before the impound people steal the parts off of it, and seek restitution. it may take a long time, but you will get it back.
if the perp was a minor just getting his/her name might be difficult. then u will probly have to sue the parents, if they even know who they are.

best of luck!!!

years ago when a crackhead juvinille stole my truck and totaled it, they wouldn't tell me his name. insurance cut me a check and that was that. i sure hope that person is out the gene pool by now.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:06 AM
Flounder

Cash: 434

Three different people have had stuff stole from their garage in university place (south lake Charles) within a week on same street. People lock your stuff up and keep on the look out....
Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

My ATV was stolen from my house a couple years ago.
I picked it up from the LCPD station on Enterprise... no charges.
Both of my racks, my speaker box, and my gun holder was gone.
Cost me about $700 to replace everything that was removed.

The dumb arze thief didn't even remove the registration from the back storage box... I had no problem proving it was mine... hahaha
Old 10-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy1 View Post
Buy into one and, you'll understand their charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
why? they are just a local independent company trying to make a living is all they are doing. its not their fault that the sheriffs office didn't bring it to their own impound lot like SOP should dictate. why would you call and independent tow company to tow a stolen vehicle which is evidence in a criminal investigation in the first place is the REAL question needing to be asked here. if the sheriff doesn't have their own impound lot then the sheriffs office should be the one obligated to pay for towing and storage fees associated with reclaiming the stolen property to be turned over to the registered owner and those costs added to the crooks restitution in order to get out of jail.
You get it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
The tow yard I picked it up at was nothing more than a junk yard. There was a $200 charge to tow it and $19 dollars a day
That "junk" you saw laying around there was likely crap that people abandoned and, he's forced to pick up as a matter of public safety. In turn, he'll get to do 60 days worth of paperwork on a $50 car that literally isn't worth the fuel it would take to haul it to the scrap yard, once he actually got a title for the heap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Probably because the tow truck company and the sherriff's department have some sort of "deal" so that anytime the sherriff's office can give the tow truck company an opportunity to rip someone's eyeballs out they jump on it!

Tow truck companies are ruthless and not just a "private owned company trying to make a living." There are plenty of other ways to make a living that allows you to keep your morals intact and not thrive off of spending your whole day looking to ruin someone's day by towing their truck, most of the time when it isnt even necessary!

I routinely see employees from these companies riding around and looking for someone to tow even though they are parked in an empty parking lot and no one has complained.

Every time I have had the pleasure of dealing with a tow truck company I have been treated with a total lack of respect, felt like I was being robbed, and needed to take a shower when I left! MOST of these guys are lower than meter readers in my book walking around gIvins paring tickets.

I say "Most" because there is obviously room for legitimate tow truck companies for dialed vehicles or when law enforcement arrests someone and needs to tow their vehicle. I guess there could be some tow companies that is ethical and does their work in a LESS SLIMELY manner than most. I surely have not dealt with them yet, though.

P.S.: If anyone on this site works for or owns a tow truck company I am sure you are the exception to the rule and are a stand-up individual.
I looked into getting into the towing business. It didn't take me long to get away from the idea though. New truck, $83k. Insurance on truck, $7k/yr. Property for storage, cost depends on location. Prep to get one acre of land approved by LSP(who controls towing), almost $40k. Insurance for lot, $11k/yr. One pissed off tow calling LSP on you, days of auditing. Sitting on less than salvage vehicles that block good vehicles from being in your lot for more than 90 days, a major pain!

Now, factor in that you are married to this rolling expense 24 hours per day, 7 days a week and, it LOVES to break. DOT loves to fine the piss out of you for a cab light being out and, it's all for $150 tow, $19/day storage and, $25 of admin fees. It's like a ponzie scheme that I can't believe more people haven't jumped on!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Yeah but if there wasnt plenty of money to be made in the business then we wouldnt have one on every street!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
Yeah but if there wasnt plenty of money to be made in the business then we wouldnt have one on every street!
Inundation does not mean prosperity. Your theory causes inundation. Someone sees someone with something and, they think that they can do it too. Now someone else sees two people doing it and, think "why not me too?". And, then the next guy and the next. There's a lot of em here too, just like there's a lot of collision centers. There have been a of collision centers pop up after mine and, it doesn't mean that there's a lot of money in it! I sure wish your theory was correct though!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Same thing happens with ppl who cut grass for a living.... ppl see other ppl doing it and so they try it... THen they start making good money.... get more clients.... quit their jobs... make 3x the money their normal jobs used to pay them.