SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
A 10 page thread about bird counts, maybe a 10 page thread about duck dogs. Now if we can just get a 10 page thread about shotguns, this salty duck season will be complete!
I think it was already done back in the summer!
I may be wrong, but B Gizz was the main ingredient!
Sumptin bout Benelli vs beretta?
http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...enelli+beretta
Sorry it only went 7 pages!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
I think it was already done back in the summer!
I may be wrong, but B Gizz was the main ingredient!
Sumptin bout Benelli vs beretta?
http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...enelli+beretta
Sorry it only went 7 pages!
There seems to be a pattern with Gizzle and long threads. Somebody needs to bump that thread and ask "What's the best shotgun for duck huntin?"
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckdaddy View Post
Ill tell ya: you talkin like u know it ALL about dogs and basically sayin that unless a dog is trained by you it aint worth squat. So by starting another thread on a competition , you can thereby put up against these rock dogs or just be quiet n leave well enough alone.
There's nothing wrong with a rock dog if that's what your willing to settle for. Mine needs a rock or two sometimes. I'm not willing to settle for that though. I don't need my dog to run a perfect straight line that will win a trial. But I do want to be able to line her up in my side and her to head where I tell her to. Not make a 30-40 yard zig zag and hunt on her own then find the bird 5 minutes later. Meanwhile we missed out on a flock that flared because she was in the middle of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724

I bet there's more companionship and love between a rock dog and owner vs robot dog and owner.
It all depends on what one wants to get out of the relationship. I like to have a best friend thats not perfect. It adds character.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

i will take mr raymonds side only reason is when you teach a dog to hunt on its on he will go so far on a pattern unless u go further with him in marsh while a audiable dog will work on voice and sight not having you to walk 100yards in the marsh to keep getting your dog to go further on his grid.no bashing just trying to explain and i seen some rock dogs go far i had half chessie and choclate and he did not know when to give up and keep going.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
I bet there's more companionship and love between a rock dog and owner vs robot dog and owner.
It all depends on what one wants to get out of the relationship. I like to have a best friend thats not perfect. It adds character.
Not always the case. Here's "Grady" a National Amateur Field Champion or "robot dog" and the most prolific sire of recent time with his owner Chad Baker. He sleeps in Chad's bed and couch and is a big part of their family.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

We should have a thread about shooting cripples that fall 100yds away.....ive never shot a bird that went that far nor would I shoot at a bird that I may cripple and lose at 100yds...not saying I havent lost birds but I dont take those kind of shots anyways
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Never let fact get in the way of opinions, trained (robot) dogs aren't friendly,smart,athletic or talented. First one to bristle looses and there's a bunch of brushes up in here. Some enjoy hunting, I enjoy watching a dog pick up a punch bird at 400+ yds with factors. Trainablity=Robot = my kind of dog
Old 12-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
There seems to be a pattern with Gizzle and long threads. Somebody needs to bump that thread and ask "What's the best shotgun for duck huntin?"
You know what the answer is drag!!!

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 12-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

Well my "robot" dog stays in the house and is a huge part of our family. Matter of fact he's passed out by the fire place right now with my 9 month old laying all over him. Those kind of comments are so far from the truth it aint even funny. Now ill get off my soap box and wish the owner te best of luck to find Eli.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
We should have a thread about shooting cripples that fall 100yds away.....ive never shot a bird that went that far nor would I shoot at a bird that I may cripple and lose at 100yds...not saying I havent lost birds but I dont take those kind of shots anyways
I call bs! I've shot birds that were well within range that ended up 100yds out. A strong wind can do it, or just a bad shot. That's the beauty of having a good dog. You will find those birds much more often, thus making a you a better hunter. Just bc a duck falls out past 100 yds doesn't mean that a bad shot was taken. And far you to say that you've never done that is ridiculous.
Let's remember this thread was started for a guy who lost an amazing dog due to a freak set of circumstances. I lost an amazing dog due to a freak set of circumstances once and it flat sucked. I won't get into the details here bc they are irrelevant. Looking back, there wasn't much I coulda done different. Stuff happens, and it sucks. Hopefully Brett's dog turns up!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzon30s View Post
I call bs! I've shot birds that were well within range that ended up 100yds out. A strong wind can do it, or just a bad shot. That's the beauty of having a good dog. You will find those birds much more often, thus making a you a better hunter. Just bc a duck falls out past 100 yds doesn't mean that a bad shot was taken. And far you to say that you've never done that is ridiculous.
Let's remember this thread was started for a guy who lost an amazing dog due to a freak set of circumstances. I lost an amazing dog due to a freak set of circumstances once and it flat sucked. I won't get into the details here bc they are irrelevant. Looking back, there wasn't much I coulda done different. Stuff happens, and it sucks. Hopefully Brett's dog turns up!
X2! Hope this happens soon cuz it be cold!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917
Churn

Quote:
I guess you know the area I hunt and have seen all my shots? I've never had a duck go 100yds, furthest retrieve my dog has HAD to make was around 60yds. I don't hunt ricefield I hunt marsh. I don't shoot at everything that flys by either I prefer to get the birds committed to the decoys.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
X2! Hope this happens soon cuz it be cold!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
You are so right!!! By the way, the dog is still missing.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

[QUOTE=Spunt Drag;649431]Not always the case. Here's "Grady" a National Amateur Field Champion or "robot dog" and the most prolific sire of recent time with his owner Chad Baker. He sleeps in Chad's bed and couch and is a big part of their family.

[/QUOTE

Thats just weird.lol. To me anyway. To each his own though.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724

i meant a dog that is sent off as a puppy and is away for a few months while getting trained will not have the same companionship with its owner as a dog who has been with its owner since it was only a few weeks old
Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How would another thread about loosing money pertain to loosing a dog?
Lol lets start another thread and discuss the difference tween lose and loose and why it's such a difficult task to master for Internet forum users
Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Not always the case. Here's "Grady" a National Amateur Field Champion or "robot dog" and the most prolific sire of recent time with his owner Chad Baker. He sleeps in Chad's bed and couch and is a big part of their family.

Was the dog in his wedding or something?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Was the dog in his wedding or something?

Not sure. I know the dog is pretty much like his child.