Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 10-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Flounder

Cash: 449
Default Evil Knievel

Evil Knievel Loves BLACKJACK BOATS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8100123452_67dda83e9b.jpg (85.4 KB, 180 views)
Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Why is boat buying so difficult. The key west dealer couldn't give me a price on the spot, was suppose to call me back today. The Nauticstar Dealer will not talk numbers in a rational manner. I want to start off with a base boat and see how much each option adds to the cost, he has $40k boats bloated to $60k.

Bulls bay 2200 in white with a white Merc might be in my future, not my favorite boat, but the dealer is great. I need to call Kyle again, and I am going to make the round of the boat places in New Orleans soon.

Still open to suggestions, so far we have looked at:

Ranger
Triton
Epic
Bulls Bay
Key West
NauticStar
Bluewave

That is all I can think of right now.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Resale Value--Something to think about

With all due respect sir, I think you would be crazy to pay over 30k on a new Bulls Bay boat and overlook the Frontier.

Listen to these words: One day you will sell this boat; and what you buy now will determine the price tag down the road.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
With all due respect sir, I think you would be crazy to pay over 30k on a new Bulls Bay boat and overlook the Frontier.

Listen to these words: One day you will sell this boat; and what you buy now will determine the price tag down the road.
X1000000000000000!

DO NOT BUY A BOAT WITH YOUR EMOTIONS! Talk to the dealer look at the boat and see what kind of deal they offer. If they give you this its only good today BS walk away. Its a commodity. They have a limited pool of buyers. Most want to get as much as they can from every sale regardless of how the purchase effects you. I never buy anything big without a day or two to mull the deal over. If that is a problem with the seller then I don't need it. Any time I've ever bought something under pressure I regretted it. If your not 1000% happy with the purchase you will never be able to fully enjoy the boat.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Trophy Trout

I gave this dealer three pitches, he's out.

I don't dislike the BullsBay, it is quite a value.

I will hopefully get prices on the 230 and 246 keywest bay reefs tomorrow.

We did check out the Frontier 2104, wish it was bigger, it has been the smallest boat we have considered.

I am also looking heavily at used boats, but I don't want a project. What one person see's as "great shape" I see $2500 in Gel coat repairs, all new electronics, wiring and trolling motor, a trailer overhaul and new upholstery all around.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

I bought a boat last year after looking hard and doing a hell of a lot of research on them. I had pretty much made up my mind to go with a new one, I was leaning towards a Key West 23 Bay Reef, until I came across a lightly used Cape Bay that was fully loaded. The boat did not have a mark on it and had 60 hrs on the motor. I paid 35k less than the original owner did a year earlier. Would I have been happy with the Key West? Probably but it is no where near the boat that my Cape Horn is. A slightly used boat with a better fit and finish will get you more for your dollar. I had to drive to Florida to get mine but it was worth it. There are some amazing deals out there. A lot of people who buy boats have more money the sense, especially in Florida. If you are still in the market for a Key West try Gulf Coast Boats in Lafayette. They quoted me the best price on the Key West.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
I bought a boat last year after looking hard and doing a hell of a lot of research on them. I had pretty much made up my mind to go with a new one, I was leaning towards a Key West 23 Bay Reef, until I came across a lightly used Cape Bay that was fully loaded. The boat did not have a mark on it and had 60 hrs on the motor. I paid 35k less than the original owner did a year earlier. Would I have been happy with the Key West? Probably but it is no where near the boat that my Cape Horn is. A slightly used boat with a better fit and finish will get you more for your dollar. I had to drive to Florida to get mine but it was worth it. There are some amazing deals out there. A lot of people who buy boats have more money the sense, especially in Florida. If you are still in the market for a Key West try Gulf Coast Boats in Lafayette. They quoted me the best price on the Key West.
I haven't scoured Florida yet, but I do hear of great deals coming out of Florida. Fishing boats around here don't last long, or they are not priced right. I could care less about new, but when I do the math on a boat, and a guy is asking above book, and I need to spend book on the boat to bring it up to "good" condition, it doesn't make since to buy used. I am not in a rush, maybe I will look some in Florida...
Old 10-27-2015, 02:58 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Try looking at the classifieds on thehulltruth.com. A lot of guys on that site buy a boat every couple of years. You can get an idea of who you are dealing with by going back and looking at their previous post. That site is a treasure trove of information on any type of boat out there.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I would also throw in the Action Craft 2110. Would be hard to find but seem to have a cult following in Fl.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Flounder

Default Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
I gave this dealer three pitches, he's out.

I don't dislike the BullsBay, it is quite a value.

I will hopefully get prices on the 230 and 246 keywest bay reefs tomorrow.

We did check out the Frontier 2104, wish it was bigger, it has been the smallest boat we have considered.

I am also looking heavily at used boats, but I don't want a project. What one person see's as "great shape" I see $2500 in Gel coat repairs, all new electronics, wiring and trolling motor, a trailer overhaul and new upholstery all around.

KCINNICK,

Here are the 2 best names of sales reps you can talk to. I promise you the best service from either guy.

Mike Oncal w/ Cajun outboards - Skeeter Dealer

Rob Pond w/ Ocean Springs Marine in Biloxi. - Rob is a straight shooter and customer service is bar none. He will call you every time he says he will call.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

You are using your head in the purchase. Remember a lot of the boats for sale in Florida don't come with a trailer from what I've seen. That good deal might not be so good once you factor in the cost of a trailer as well.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
You are using your head in the purchase. Remember a lot of the boats for sale in Florida don't come with a trailer from what I've seen. That good deal might not be so good once you factor in the cost of a trailer as well.
Just passed on a deal on a champion, guy has pictures of his boat on a trailer, even mentions the boat "sat" on a tandem axle trailer... Trailer not included, he is keeping it... what else is he not telling me.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Flounder

Default Champion fools

Quote:
Just passed on a deal on a champion, guy has pictures of his boat on a trailer, even mentions the boat "sat" on a tandem axle trailer... Trailer not included, he is keeping it... what else is he not telling me.
I will tell you what he is not telling you.

Champion is out of business COMPLETELY. Ranger bought them and supported the Champion made boats until 2012. Now there is no support for Champion boats, including parts, warranty, or anything else. Ranger has washed their hands of Champion completely after dissolving them.

What does that mean??? Champion boats are only worth the Motor hanging on the back.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Flounder

Quote:
I haven't scoured Florida yet, but I do hear of great deals coming out of Florida. Fishing boats around here don't last long, or they are not priced right. I could care less about new, but when I do the math on a boat, and a guy is asking above book, and I need to spend book on the boat to bring it up to "good" condition, it doesn't make since to buy used. I am not in a rush, maybe I will look some in Florida...

Kinnick<<

Let me quote my late great Grandfather &^$%*^ LEBLUE of Lake Charles.

"t'neg, don't never get youself a new boat, go done get dem use boats and let the couyon who bought it new eat all dem problems."

I followed that advice until last year. I bought a new N I N J A Turtle green EPIC and paid the price for it.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

check out the hydrasport bay bolt too. Its a 23fter
Old 10-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Flounder

Default Big ole fig in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
check out the hydrasport bay bolt too. Its a 23fter

Hydra Sport Bay Bolt is a bad knock off of the CAPE HORN bay boat.

Cape Horn absolute dream and smooth ride.

Hydra Sport great ride, turns into a lead weight in a turn. goes from 45mp to 3mph. Very very heavy boat. Will crush a wave, and strong boat, I will give it that. BUT A FIG I tell ya, ITS A FIG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HydraSports_Boat__23Bay_7_.jpg (94.2 KB, 110 views)
File Type: png Cape horn.png (163.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 10-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Trash in Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetfeathers00 View Post
LET ME TELL YOU A LITTLE STORY.

I bought the first EPIC boat Cajun Outboards sold.

Cajun is a great company and Mike Oncal is a very good manager, but EPIC BOATS is a joke.

The company DOES NOT and I MEAN does not stand behind their product like they say they do.

WITH ONLY 7 Hrs on my boat, and having had trouble from the second trip in my boat to the last trip, it was discovered that someone from EPIC was using my gas tank as a trash can.

When Cajun put a scope down my tank they discovered the following:

Cigarette butts
leaves
sticks
fiberglass
paper towels
needle nose pliers
Mcdonalds hamburger wrapper

Once we notified EPIC, we were told they would have to rip the boat apart to replace the tank. I said I don't think so, that boat only has 7 hours on it and Im not going to own a repaired boat from Manufacturing problems with only 7 hours. I told them splitting the boat open goes against the whole engineering sales pitch that their boat is Resin Infused and the that once the top and bottom are married together they become One Piece Hull.

They repaired it Anyway and guess what??? First test drive with repaired hull, the gunwales split down both sides the entire length of the boat.

Well EPIC flat out refused to replace the boat even with CAJUN OUTBOARDS fighting them with me. This went on for over 7 months.

Finally, I had to get an Attorney to handle business and EPIC agreed to buy the BOAT back.

I also discovered in March of this year, they were in MIAMI looking for money or investors because they are in a bind.

EPIC is a pretty boat, it was a nice boat, but the COMPANY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS

How do you know the items found in your fuel tank were placed there by a Epic employee? Possibly a disgruntled neighbor, estranged lover, or just a random jackass?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

I know a few things about all these boats , they all float in water and they don't catch fish. and you can hang a motor on the back😆😆uploadfromtaptalk1445975952719.jpg lmao
Old 10-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Flounder

Default B-Stealth,

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
How do you know the items found in your fuel tank were placed there by a Epic employee? Possibly a disgruntled neighbor, estranged lover, or just a random jackass?

Well B-Stealth,

First I would never make that claim unless it was guaranteed. But I will give you an pretty good proven scenario.

The gas tank is sealed in the boat, no access unless through the Gas cap and hose. Which the hose makes several S CURVES from the cap to the tank. WHICH would make it almost impossible to maneuver through the hose into the tank which actually makes a bend upward then downward.

This being said, the following items were found in the boat tank

FIBERGLASS ---- OOHH now how would fiberglass (something the boat is made of ) make it into the tank.

Cigarettes. --- OOOHH now how would cigarettes make in the tank (especially if it had gas))

Needle Nose Pliers ---- Sorry gonna just say, aint no way in sam hell pliers made it through the gas cap

Sticks & Leaves ---- Same answer as above

MCDONALDS Wrapper ---- UMMM bet its safe to say the guys SMOKING on lunch break threw both their lunch trash and cigarette butts in the tank

Pair of Rubber Gloves --- Yeh pretty much synonymous using fiberglass and resin.

AND NOW THE PUNCH LINE>

The tank has a serial number, EPIC admitted that the serial number on the tank was from the VIP BAY STEALTH inventory which they did not use in their new boats. EPIC claimed someone grabbed the wrong tank and placed in the boat.

EPIC uses a different polymer type tank and manufacturer for their tanks and a different serial numbering system for the EPCI boats.

BUT that's all just a guess.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ??? LOL
Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
I know a few things about all these boats , they all float in water and they don't catch fish. and you can hang a motor on the back😆😆Attachment 97003 lmao

And when all the expensive boats get back to the dock with empty ice chest and live wells, all the Canadians are fishing off the bank with 5 Gallon buckets full of fish