SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Gratitude for a warm welcome in Calcasieu and Cameron Memorial Day Weekend

One always wonders if the Memorial Day weekend crowds might somehow rob the joy from the weekend. Perhaps I began to sense something special this weekend when I worked with the most polite and efficient young lady registering my car at the LA OMV office in BR on Friday morning. We rolled into LC Friday afternoon and hit the Walmart to pick up some essential fishing items and stock up on food for the weekend. Often, the late afternoon before a long weekend can be pretty crazy at Walmart, but in spite of the crowd, everyone was extremely friendly and we managed both some great conversations in the fishing isle as well as an efficient harvest of groceries and checkout. Then we hit JTs to get some crabs for bait. Both the parking lot and the counter were busy, but service was fabulous, the other customers were friendly, and a very friendly gentlemen admired my rig in the parking lot and we struck up a great conversation. In spite of a busy Friday on the holiday weekend, everyone was very polite as I turned the boat around in the parking lot (JTs can be tricky pulling a boat).

The children were a bit tense when we hit Hebert's yesterday morning for the creel survey, with some of the usual teenage snapping and such. But the friendliness of the anglers and crowd immediately put everyone at ease and in spite of having weekend plans beyond fishing, almost everyone we asked let us weigh and measure their fish, some even complimenting my children on their politeness and interacting very positively. We measured fish until 1:30 or 2:00 pm and then my younger son (the lead on the project) decided to head for the jetties.

We stopped for icees and snacks at a gas station where 384 and 385 intersect, and both the proprietor and the deputy in the store were extremely gracious and kind interacting with my children. And then the folks pulling out at the jetties boat ramp were also fabulous and gracious. Everyone was tired and hungry after fishing, so we stopped at T-Boys (on Route 27 where the W Creole Hwy turns back to the North). Not only was the food fabulous, but even though we walked in right before closing time, the staff was friendly in the extreme both to me (long haired, scruffy, and smelling of fish and crab) and also to my three teenage children.

It is great to be back in SW Louisiana. I hope everyone appreciates the tremendous blessings we have here, and I'd like to thank everyone for a warm welcome to my children and I. I hope everyone continues to have a great weekend.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Welcome back!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Welcome back!!
It is great to be back!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

I might of been at Jt's at the same time as you. Do you have a boat with two different size motors on it? If it was you I wish I would've known and stopped to talk to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
I might of been at Jt's at the same time as you. Do you have a boat with two different size motors on it? If it was you I wish I would've known and stopped to talk to you.

Yes, that's my rig with the fraternal twin motors and the ostentatious rod holders. I bought the 9.8 hp to fish some lakes with a hp limit and then added the 20 hp to go faster. I need to get new props to max my speed running them both in LA.

You may have missed the name on the side "MathGeek Trout Machine." It was named after freshwater trout, which we became very good at catching on the troll and even landed a contract to test baits for a major supplier. We've discussed various new names for our preferences in LA. The children are leaning toward "Little Drummer Boy," which I like too. We've also discussed "General Lee" but the boat is really too slow for that and there are possible negative connotations.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Yes, that's my rig with the fraternal twin motors and the ostentatious rod holders. I bought the 9.8 hp to fish some lakes with a hp limit and then added the 20 hp to go faster. I need to get new props to max my speed running them both in LA.

You may have missed the name on the side "MathGeek Trout Machine." It was named after freshwater trout, which we became very good at catching on the troll and even landed a contract to test baits for a major supplier. We've discussed various new names for our preferences in LA. The children are leaning toward "Little Drummer Boy," which I like too. We've also discussed "General Lee" but the boat is really too slow for that and there are possible negative connotations.
Lol. I didn't see that on the side. Even if I did I probably would've put two and two together. That must of been you checking out when we walked in. You asked if you should call ahead of time if you had an order of that size.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
Lol. I didn't see that on the side. Even if I did I probably would've put two and two together. That must of been you checking out when we walked in. You asked if you should call ahead of time if you had an order of that size.

The boat has been getting a lot of comments and attention from locals, who have all been very friendly. Starting to think about moving up to a 20' Lund Alaskan with dual 40's or maybe a 40 and an 80 hp. I like the mismatched outboards a lot. I can burn almost no gas trolling with the small one and also running in no wake zones. I guess the benefits of the concept depend on how much trolling and no wake I end up doing in LA. Two tillers also give much greater control in the wind than a single tiller, even if only one is running. If I can figure out trolling for specs at the Causeway or Rigolets tressels, I may end up trolling a lot in LA.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
The boat has been getting a lot of comments and attention from locals, who have all been very friendly. Starting to think about moving up to a 20' Lund Alaskan with dual 40's or maybe a 40 and an 80 hp. I like the mismatched outboards a lot. I can burn almost no gas trolling with the small one and also running in no wake zones. I guess the benefits of the concept depend on how much trolling and no wake I end up doing in LA. Two tillers also give much greater control in the wind than a single tiller, even if only one is running. If I can figure out trolling for specs at the Causeway or Rigolets tressels, I may end up trolling a lot in LA.
You don't have trouble controlling the boat with the motor off centered.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
King Mackeral

No control issues at all, but top speed is only 22 mph when running. A 15 mph cross wind or a 3 mph cross tide are bigger control issues than the off centered mounted motor, and neither of those is a big deal, just more noticeable.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
No control issues at all, but top speed is only 22 mph when running. A 15 mph cross wind or a 3 mph cross tide are bigger control issues than the off centered mounted motor, and neither of those is a big deal, just more noticeable.
Oh ok. I was wondering with the off center how it would handle.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Mathgeek,

Glad you had a good weekend. Where is JT's, I want to take my kids to catch some bull reds next weekend.

Dan
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Mathgeek,

Glad you had a good weekend. Where is JT's, I want to take my kids to catch some bull reds next weekend.

Dan
It's on Lake St north of I-210. Look for the ugly green building on the left before the light.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Mathgeek,

Dan
JTs is a lime green seafood shop on Lake St. in Lake Charles. You should call first to make sure they have crabs: 337-478-1964