SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 01-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default IPilot ulterra

I have the Ipilot now and absolutely love it, but not enamored with the deployment and stow. Anyone have the new Ulterra which self deploys and stows? If so, any issues so far. Might want to upgrade since my Ipilot is only about one year old.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
I have the Ipilot now and absolutely love it, but not enamored with the deployment and stow. Anyone have the new Ulterra which self deploys and stows? If so, any issues so far. Might want to upgrade since my Ipilot is only about one year old.
I installed my Ulterra last spring and used it this summer. When it works it is great - just press a button and down or up it goes. So much easier than the Ipilot. The operative phrase unfortunately is "when it works". I've worked on mine more than I've fished with it.

The first time I used it the plastic belt which deploys it came loose. I had to tear it apart and reinstall the belt correctly.

Next problem was it just quit working while I was fishing. Thankfully it broke while it was stowed. There is an emergency stow ability but it looks like a it would not be an easy process, even if you carried the tools to do it with on your boat. I found a reset procedure on the web and that fixed the problem.

The last time I fished with it the autopilot function quit working, and when I went to stow it everything jammed up and now it does nothing. I took it to the service center is Lake Charles and it's been there for two months now. The service center claims there are no parts in the system yet for the Ulterra.

So my opinion is that the idea is great but the implementation of that idea is not reliable. If I had to do it over I would stay with the Ipilot until the next generation of Ulterras are available.

Also FYI there is not a saltwater version available and there are no plans to produce one according to my phone call to MinnKota. Saltwater use voids the warranty.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Tripletail

There is a salt water version now available, that is why I'm contemplating replacing my current Ipilot. I find the deploy and stow very awkward in that you have to push in then immediately down to unlock it to either stow or go. I'm getting too old to be bouncing around on the front of my boat trying to "dance" to use my TM.

According to the guy at Superior, "all the bugs were worked out on the freshwater version". I think the jury is still out based on the few reviews I've seen. Just looking for some more firsthand info regarding this cuz it's easy to see that with so many moving parts, a lot could go wrong.

Thanks for the info though.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 625

That's interesting. I had called Minn Kota before I bought this one and asked about a saltwater version. I was told there were no plans for one. That would be great news if they fixed some of the problems the first ones have because I really like the convenience. I'm interested to hear the outcome of your research. Maybe I'll get rid of this one and buy the saltwater motor if they have increased the reliability. That's assuming it ever comes back from the shop.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

I just bought the saltwater version (riptide ulterra 36v). There were lots of issues at first, they even stopped producing the freshwater unit until the issues were solved. I would be glad to give you some info once I install and use the TM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Tripletail

Just a bump to refresh this thread and say that I received my Bass Pro spring catalog and while the Riptide version of the Ulterra wasn't pictured, there was a paragraph announcing that it is now available.

Just another side note, Superior TM also told me that the Riptide version does not come with the built in transducer. He said there was some type of corrosion problem with the saltwater version so MK wasn't offering that feature on the Riptide Ulterra.

Juicy, anything to report about yours yet?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Tripletail

Default Update on Ulterra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
I just bought the saltwater version (riptide ulterra 36v). There were lots of issues at first, they even stopped producing the freshwater unit until the issues were solved. I would be glad to give you some info once I install and use the TM.
still contemplating. Anyone have an update to this thread?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,176

I installed one (36v 62" riptide Ulterra) recently and made one trip thus far. It definently makes moving from spot to spot effortless. The foot control is a must. Unfortunently, I can't give you a longevity report.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,080

I have the 80lbs 54" saltwater Riptide has not missed a beat. You can control the boat from helm when ready to blast off press stow and go!!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
still contemplating. Anyone have an update to this thread?

My Ulterra has not missed a beat since April. The only way I can explain it is awesome.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
My Ulterra has not missed a beat since April. The only way I can explain it is awesome.
Great to hear the positive responses. Thanks for posting.