SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
We always do pretty good the past 3-4 years have been really good for us hopefully it keeps going that way.
Where about is your property?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Redfish

Cash: 933

I've felt this way for years, seeing more & more around Jennings. Hwy 1126 near Andrus Cove has a lot of cane that used to be rice & soybeans. Not as many places for ducks to sit unmolested unless they are in the marsh. It seems, if a field has water, it has a blind.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:00 PM
King Mackeral

The only thing we have that we can depend on now is the geese.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Where about is your property?

You know where Herbert's landing is? Go west towards the Boston Canal an we have the property on the north side of the Landry canal (at the cornor of the Boston and the Landry canal)
Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
You know where Herbert's landing is? Go west towards the Boston Canal an we have the property on the north side of the Landry canal (at the cornor of the Boston and the Landry canal)
Y'all lease from Trent and Clyde?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Tripletail

Yea that's who we lease from we have been there forever
Old 09-20-2013, 02:31 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Yea that's who we lease from we have been there forever
Yea y'all do kill some ducks there. I know Trent well. We used to hunt across the intracoastal . I'm originally from Henry.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Yea y'all do kill some ducks there. I know Trent well. We used to hunt across the intracoastal . I'm originally from Henry.

Yea most years are good we hunt right across the canal from Trent's blinds and camp.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,631

Three more reasons I hate sugarcane. It is tax subsidized. According to the Washington Post, sugar subsidies cost us taxpayers 3.7 billion a year. Second, I have asthma. Last year, I had to go to the E.R. due to burning of cane field by my house. The sugar lobby shoves over $500,000 in congressman's pockets every two years. Many of those politicians are the first to beat their chest over other air pollution/climate change garbage, but look the other way regarding open burning after getting paid off by the sugar mafia. Third, the little asphalt road I live off of is riddled with potholes after harvest. None of which the farmers are asked to repair. The parish just throws cold mix in the potholes which last about 2 months. Local police jury here in Vermilion Parish will not do anything because, you got it, dominated by cane farmers. Yeah, I got the reddazzzz over sugarcane.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 461

last year in cow island they sprayed chemicals on the sugar caine next to my blind. it killed all the rice and didnt see many birds
Old 09-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Flounder

Cash: 668

We hunt the Bell City area and not only has the sugar cane farming increased, but there is a lot of acreage that used to be farmed rice and beans and now sits fallow and has had for years. Seems like there is a decrease in grain farming every year. We still get birds in the area, but the amount of birds that show up in recent years compared to a decade ago has markedly decreased. I miss the days of old when every other rice field had a body of ducks and geese in it...
Old 09-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 461
Default limit

i wish i could have gotten in on the good ole days when they had birds like that . i am a first year duck hunter really . i have heard talk about them days.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunkid View Post
Three more reasons I hate sugarcane. It is tax subsidized. According to the Washington Post, sugar subsidies cost us taxpayers 3.7 billion a year. Second, I have asthma. Last year, I had to go to the E.R. due to burning of cane field by my house. The sugar lobby shoves over $500,000 in congressman's pockets every two years. Many of those politicians are the first to beat their chest over other air pollution/climate change garbage, but look the other way regarding open burning after getting paid off by the sugar mafia. Third, the little asphalt road I live off of is riddled with potholes after harvest. None of which the farmers are asked to repair. The parish just throws cold mix in the potholes which last about 2 months. Local police jury here in Vermilion Parish will not do anything because, you got it, dominated by cane farmers. Yeah, I got the reddazzzz over sugarcane.
Wouldn't the road be riddled with potholes even if there was rice or beans there? 25,000 lbs of sugarcane weighs the same as 25,000 lbs of rice or beans

Not touching the subsidies comment, not going there, not going there, but there are some mistruths in that statement and if you look at other crops you will see many are subsidized as well
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

All the same, they are permitted to carry 100k lbs on state highways...

Sent
Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by herohunts View Post
i wish i could have gotten in on the good ole days when they had birds like that . i am a first year duck hunter really . i have heard talk about them days.
To some, the good ol days are right now. You can look at the population counts of 'the good ol days' and what was killed in Louisiana then and what is killed in Louisiana now and you may find that we kill more now than we did then (depending on what years you are comparing). My 'good ol days' the limit was 3 and killing 3 ducks per person for 30 days. May have seemed like the good ol days, but 60 days and 6 ducks to me is much more 'gooder' than 3 and 30. 360 ducks per year limit is 'gooder' than 90 per year, 4 times 'gooder'

And remember that peoples' memories often forget the bad days, they tend to remember the good days but forget the bad ones and many times the stories you hear don't reflect the overall experience, just the good ones.

if that made any sense
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
All the same, they are permitted to carry 100k lbs on state highways...

Sent
Yep whether it beans, sugarcane, or rice - its all gonna rut up some roads

Vermilion Parish is based on farming, its what supports the economy there. Gotta be careful what you wish for
Old 09-24-2013, 10:55 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Yep whether it beans, sugarcane, or rice - its all gonna rut up some roads

Vermilion Parish is based on farming, its what supports the economy there. Gotta be careful what you wish for
I agree with sugarcane being good for economy. But sugarcane requires a lot more equipment up and down the roads than rice does. Typically with rice you only have two or 3 tractors, a combine and a truck to haul to the bins. Sugarcane has a multitude if tractors, a combine, and trucks to haul it. Not to mention all the vehicles the farmers use to get back and forth. Rice is only a two or 3 man operation.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Ling

Quote:
I agree with sugarcane being good for economy. But sugarcane requires a lot more equipment up and down the roads than rice does. Typically with rice you only have two or 3 tractors, a combine and a truck to haul to the bins. Sugarcane has a multitude if tractors, a combine, and trucks to haul it. Not to mention all the vehicles the farmers use to get back and forth. Rice is only a two or 3 man operation.

gotcha
Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM
King Mackeral

Just seen two specks land in a cut cane field. There's hope yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

All cane trailers have triple axles, this allows them to carry 100,000 lbs. The scales at the mills top at 100,000 lbs so it's not very wise for a can farmer to load the truck with more than 100,000lbs. Most trucks come to the scales between 92-98,000 lbs