SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
At the time 'they' didn't know what they were doing was bad. All they knew is that they were keeping people out of danger (by building levees). Just like the oil/gas companies didn't know that their canals were going to create future problems. There are actual lawsuits out there right now to try and get money from oil companies for causing erosion when they dug canals way back when

Now we KNOW what saltwater does, and that erosion will follow, but 'fixing' it is the issue because all this is new, its never been done before. There are some tough decisions to be made. You can leave it alone and watch it all go away (but in the meanwhile enjoy the fishing/hunting while it lasts and future generations will look back and ask why nothing was done), or try and do something to mitigate the problem (let your kids and grandkids get to be able to enjoy it too). We have to have the ship channel and we are probably not going to see the MS River levee taken down in our lifetime. Sorry I am getting off topic
I agree with that, but what makes us now that much smarter??? They where doing the best thing for there kids and grandkids !!!

???????
Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
my point is saltwater has been in Lake Charles way before you and I were even born!! its part of life when you live on the gulf coast!

If God did not want saltwater to intrude lakes and bays he would of make the gulf freshwater

you can not have a marsh that is less than 5 miles from the gulf of Mexico and expect it to stay fresh..

CMON man
You are correct, saltwater would have come in naturally at times, but it was likely not the norm and that is exactly why the marshes are classified as brackish because the plants there evolved to take salinity spikes and dips and evolved to have floods come over them and hurricanes every so often and were adapted to frequent fire, but when you keep highly saline water on top of them for long periods of time, they can't tolerate that. There are different classifications of marsh. You can't magically make brackish marsh a salt marsh. Emergent plants can not move on their own, it can not control its environment where it is. Wherever it sprouts, it has to deal with whatever comes its way, and saltwater is not something that it would have had to deal with as much as it does now had the Ship Channel not been dug and give a direct route for saltwater.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Red Snapper

One last question?? If you blame it all on the channel. Why does the marsh west side closer to the channel. coming back after the storms?? Better? Doing
Old 09-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I agree with that, but what makes us now that much smarter??? They where doing the best thing for there kids and grandkids !!!

???????

Damn thats a tough one, you have a point there

BUT, I think the distinction is that they didn't know what they were doing would have long-term consequences like they do. They were successful in what they wanted to accomplish (no mo big floods) but the indirect consequences of their actions were not foreseen. In other words, looking back now knowing what we know now do you think we would build those levees along the MS River? People would surely have been flooded out again, but we would have a much healthier landscape. Good question

I think we are definitely smarter now than we were (maybe not in a common sense fashion) but technologically speaking we are.

Its funny how we shoot ourselves in the foot and never learn. The farmland in floodplains are much much more fertile than other places and its from the flooding that makes the soil fertile yet we lose one crop from flooding and we want to dam the river so that we won't lose another crop . The river was the 'fertilizer' for years, and now we dam up the river and spray fertilizer its almost comical anyways...

but the gist is that (I think) the wiers are doing much more good than harm. There isn't ever going to be a shortage of trout in Louisiana but marshland is going away a football per hour, pretty easy call in my book
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
One last question?? If you blame it all on the channel. Why does the marsh west side closer to the channel. coming back after the storms?? Better? Doing
Doesn't appear that way from an aerial photo looks like its gone also. You may be seeing some coming back in places but its still a net loss each year overall. It can be (and probably is being done or has been done) look at an aerial and run stats on it from marsh loss/gain each year. Just make sure the aerials are taken during similar months. ERDAS software, may be available for a free download don't know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sabine%20Land%20Loss%201932%20to%202006.jpg (65.5 KB, 139 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
In fact is a strong phrase....what are the facts?

A fact is not you catching saltwater species of fish, or that you taste saltwater when you swim at your dock.
Facts? What facts do I need to present to you about a river system that you know little about?
In fact (oh there's that word again) I'm looking at a marsh right now that has turned into nothing but a **** hole due to saltwater north of the Barrier
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Red Snapper

Maybe they are?? Maybe they hurting??? We will not know for 20-50 year's. Save what little bit we got left, or let it rebuild?? I see both sides of it. But don't thank we any smarter then 30-40 year's ago. Cause seems like we still making the worse. And not letting it do it's own thing.

Are we being selfish for trying to keep it for our kids maybe grandkids, or should we save it for their kids and grandkids???
Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Red Snapper

And again that map and maps y'all show are not, what the marsh is doing !!! It took year's and year's to build them and it took2 storm's to f them up!!! Just saying give them a chance.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Duck Butter

Blame Ship channel = cop out for weirs
Old 09-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Red Snapper

What makes us so much smarter then our dad's and grandparents and there parents , that made there and fed their kids from the marsh and lake!!!

When they did what they did it was the best minds around!! (Don't forget they put a man on the moon with less CPU.power then in your watch!!) .... and they had no ideal what was going to happen to the marsh. Why are we that much smarter????? To thank we can know what's going to happen??

We done got so smart we can't even put a dog in space!!

But we can control mother nature!!!!
???????????? Maybe but I don't believe that!!!!!

I am done, going to eat.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 697
Default CyberEGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you that gave feedback from the original post that was useful and helpful, I thank you for that. This Forum I am sure started out to be just that, a place to communicate with others of the same interest and share experiences, information to help each other.

Problem is alot of you have a CyberEgo that is rediculous.
Check your EGO at the keyboard fella's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP View Post
For those of you that gave feedback from the original post that was useful and helpful, I thank you for that. This Forum I am sure started out to be just that, a place to communicate with others of the same interest and share experiences, information to help each other.

Problem is alot of you have a CyberEgo that is rediculous.
Any time

Sent
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNP View Post

Problem is ONE of you have a CyberEgo that is rediculous.

fixed it...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
fixed it...
Lets here your thoughts Mr. USL
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:

If God did not want saltwater to intrude lakes and bays he would of make the gulf freshwater
W= uses so many worthless responses he has to involve the the man upstairs for support. Keep on keeping on smalls!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
W= uses so many worthless responses he has to involve the the man upstairs for support. Keep on keeping on smalls!
Lmao Post 1o2 about me

I have your club "w" start up kit in the mail!!

You will where your shirt proud!!

Keep on following
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Quote:
Lets here your thoughts Mr. USL
Are you assuming you were the ONE?

my thoughts on this are as follows:

you don't know enough to know that you know enough to know what enough is errrr or something like that...

Your going to argue this point until your blue in face regardless...Until you quit your job. Pony up for a 4 year degree in whatever field would qualify you as an expert in land erosion I suggest you take a little of the knowledge being offered here and apply it your real word experience.

But hey I'm just a dumb UL grad so carry on...I'm just here to watch the world go by...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Red Snapper

I try and stay out the political side of it. I Will catch fish either way.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,010

Just some info for everybody to take as u want my family settled in big lake in the middle 1800s the lake was a large marsh lake withe average depth of 2 to 3 foot it was filled with lily pads and many bass there were cypress trees in the northern end if u go into the far reaches of turners where it is shallow and look hard and pole around u can still feel some of the old stumps.my great grandfather had told me it was filled with many tropical and colorful birds. Which is the reason they came here they made a living shooting these birds and sending the colored feathers back to new York to make women's hats and clothes the calc river was shallow and always flowed out. Then the ship channell changed everything
Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Red Snapper

And I have a 4 year degree, Ag, and wildlife!!! From mcneese!! So been studying the west marsh for 10 year's since I got out of school. but what do I know??