SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 466
Default Live bait dying in livewell-Supercharge them

[SIZE=3]Most live bait fishermen have major livewell/bait problems in August - check this article out: “Supercharge Your Live Baits” George Poveromo’s World of Saltwater Fishing http://www.georgepoveromo.com/content.php?pid=64 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’m really impressed with this and it's so simple. Just found out there are some guys down at Venice using this stuff and they will talk about it if you ask them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

"The Oxygen Edge system is easy to install and fits any size live well. Oxygen-tank refills cost around 75 cents a pop.""

Where the hell is he getting that at????

We charge 95$ to refill your O2 tank
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087

I have a O2 system on my boat and it's amazing they are very popular in Galveston. Cost 9 bucks average to refill. Keeps everything alive I seen shrimp last two days in this heat with 02. Been thinking about bringing some systems back to sell here
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

This would be particularly great for keeping bait overnight and skipping the 4:30 AM bait line.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Redfish

Cash: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
This would be particularly great for keeping bait overnight and skipping the 4:30 AM bait line.
I just use a floating bait tank. Take the shrimp out of the livewell and throw them in the tank. Tie the tank off to the dock. Next day, the shrimp are good as new. I use one that's a little larger and it's hard sided, but this is the idea:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tour...testElementId=
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Tripletail

I kept 11 nice size trout in my live well last weekend all day and they were all alive at end of day.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripley View Post
I have a O2 system on my boat and it's amazing they are very popular in Galveston. Cost 9 bucks average to refill. Keeps everything alive I seen shrimp last two days in this heat with 02. Been thinking about bringing some systems back to sell here
What system do you have? Where did you get it?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallimits View Post
I just use a floating bait tank. Take the shrimp out of the livewell and throw them in the tank. Tie the tank off to the dock. Next day, the shrimp are good as new. I use one that's a little larger and it's hard sided, but this is the idea:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/tour...testElementId=
The guys in Venice can't do that due to the freshwater. That's what I was getting at. Lake Ponchartrain as well anywhere but the Rigolets these days..
Old 08-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Flounder

Cash: 469

Boyd's Oxygen Response system. easy to install yourself, and keeps everything alive. absolutely love it
Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
"The Oxygen Edge system is easy to install and fits any size live well. Oxygen-tank refills cost around 75 cents a pop.""

Where the hell is he getting that at????

We charge 95$ to refill your O2 tank
I deal with medical O2 and its about $4 per E cylinder.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

If any guys would like to purchase a tank and regulator hit me up with a PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Sand Trout

Default questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrod View Post
If any guys would like to purchase a tank and regulator hit me up with a PM.
1st - regulator - is your regulator a commercial regulator or a medical regulators? No medical regulators because they're junk - what brand of regulator you selling?

2nd - what size O2 tank and type of tank valve

3rd - how much $ drive out
Old 08-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
What system do you have? Where did you get it?
I have the oxygen response system boyds one stop on dike in Texas city makes em FCJ BOATS put it in boat for me
Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Sand Trout

I talked with a guy at boyd today and will pass on your offer, thanks anyway. Wasn't impressed at all, hope you can sell it. I really want a better quality rig.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Flounder

Cash: 310

dude, unless Im misunderstanding your question all you need are "shrimp buddies" and add fresh ice to the live well.....bait esp. live shrimp will live for along time in your bait well and maybe add water here and there but add enough ice to keep water cool.....if your pump is pumping in 90 plus degree water into your well your shrimp "will" die without adding ice to cool it down
Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Never use live shrimp but for shiners in the summer we always change the water out occasionally and place some frozen water bottles in the buckets. Don't try and put too much bait in one bucket/livewell or they will die Warm water can hold much less oxygen than cold water so keep your water cool and your bait will be happy. This is why you see shad on top of water in middle of summer because the water is low on oxygen and they are gulping air. Was on the river last year and two people were in a boat and complaining about their shiners all being dead. Said they got some bad shiners. Had about 100 in a one gallon bucket sitting in the sun in July. Told hen hey need to keep changing the water out and they said they didn't bring any extra water

Be careful using ice also as it can kill your bait with the chlorine it has in it you can put ice in a ziplock bag and that will cool your water

one other tip is if you get minnows or shiners the day before. Place them in a bag with oxygen and put them in your refrigerator overnight They will all be alive the next morning

Or you can stick a yeti sticker on your bait well and it will keep it cold forever but check it occasionally for freezing
Old 08-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

One thing not mentioned is people using sun screen. Getting that in the water will kill the bait quickly. Be sure your hands are clear of sun screen before putting your hands in the water.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Tripletail

I promise the O2 system is a game changer after seeing it in action. I am amazed at what it can do.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Years back I had a BIL that worked in sales for a Welding supply firm out of LC. He had bought a large fine pore aquarium air stone and had a little pony tank of O2 and a low pressure/low flow regulator. We had picked up about 2 quarts of live shrimp at Hackberry and put them in a small styrofoam 'disposable type convenience store cooler' less than 1/2 full of water. He put the stone in the bottom set on a very low flow rate. We then launched by the C ferry and fished the Johnson Bayou rigs until about noon, worked grass beds for t-tail, and then the buoy chain for ling. I don't think we lost more than a half dozen shrimp all day. I was amazed. My current rig built in to the boat will keep 3-4 inch poagie and shrimp alive with less than 15% or so loss over a half day in the middle of summer and better in cooler months. Although the O2 rig works amazingly well my stock live wells work good enough to not have to use supplemental oxygen. If one has a live well has a higher bait mortality rate It would definitely solve the issue.

BTW...my BIL also stated that he could keep shrimp alive for a couple of days in a little cooler like that with that O2 rig; he was not one to stretch the truth so I believe him.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

Had a large recreational property on a lake many years ago. Had three very large minnow tanks made from cinder blocks which were 3ft deep and 10 feet long and they literally had thousands of minnows in them. I kept the whole room between 50-60 degrees for the minnows but on the other side I kept sodas, crate milk and various cooler backup supplies. I have also been an aquarium hobbyist for many years. Cool trumps oxygen saturation. That said, as one fella already stated, one begets another. Hot water does not hold O2 well. I cool the water with frozen water bottles and currently have the "baitkeeper" brand of air pump/diffuser. I have a floating version and a submersible unit and like the submersible one better but both do a good job. I'm sure that O2 injection systems would help when really hot but I would not spend $$$ on fancy stuff. It seems a small, regulated tank with a quality air-stone would suffice during the hottest time of the year. I almost never change the water during the course of a single days fishing. Ammonia killing bait is the last thing you need to worry about. And my OLD friend HOOP WAS CORRECT! Chems from sunscreen and bug spray will kill your bait. Use those cheap dip nets at Academy .99 to $1.99.