SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Choke Tubes (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14061)

rosska 10-03-2010 09:40 PM

Choke Tubes

I bought a Super Black Eagle II yesterday and was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with the aftermarket choke tubes.

FF_T_Warren 10-03-2010 09:42 PM

I bought a patternmaster for my extrema2 and I thought it was a waste of money. I didnt see any improvements. others swear by em but I was not impressed at all.

tcglsu 10-03-2010 09:58 PM

I got a foiles strait heat I like it a lots

rosska 10-03-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 197400)
I bought a patternmaster for my extrema2 and I thought it was a waste of money. I didnt see any improvements. others swear by em but I was not impressed at all.

Warren did you pattern the gun at different ranges with the stock tubes and the patternmaster? I have never done this but after reading it makes pretty good sense. They also say shooting different brands of shells through the same gun will give different patterns. Kind of like rifles can like a certain brand of ammo better than another. Which patternmaster did you purchase?

FF_T_Warren 10-04-2010 06:44 AM

no I didnt, I think I got the midrange. I ended up shooting blackclouds with my IC stock choke and am very satisfied with that combo.

Asterisk-Rich 10-04-2010 07:10 AM

Mid range pattern master...maybe im just used to shooting it

Dink 10-04-2010 08:14 AM

What length barrel did you go with? You got this for ducks or clays? How far is your target usually?

meaux fishing 10-04-2010 08:14 AM

I have a kicks vortex for a sbe 2 I will sell for $40 plus shipping... I paid $60 for it and it works well I just decided I didn't want to pay for black clouds. I only used it for a couple of hunts

specktator 10-04-2010 08:57 AM

I have a patternmaster for my sbeII. I don't like it but others do. If u want it I'll sell it to u for $60. Paid over $100 for it. Personally, I use the stock modified choke.

Raymond 10-04-2010 09:53 AM

Ross, I have been shooting a PM extended choke since 05 and love it in my SBE I. You either hitem or missem there is no in between but they don't swim off either. I believe the thread pattern is different between the I and II, if it is not I'll take the PM Speck.

No matter what anyone says, the SBE is the best on the market for lack problems,ease of operation, and balance. I have not been able to tear mine up, even after 15 years of use.

Asterisk-Rich 10-04-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 197479)
Ross, I have been shooting a PM extended choke since 05 and love it in my SBE I. You either hitem or missem there is no in between but they don't swim off either. I believe the thread pattern is different between the I and II, if it is not I'll take the PM Speck.

No matter what anyone says, the SBE is the best on the market for lack problems,ease of operation, and balance. I have not been able to tear mine up, even after 15 years of use.

You are correct about the different thread pattern

cajunforeman 10-04-2010 10:53 AM

I use the midrange choke tube by charleston that was designed for black clouds.

specktator 10-04-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 197479)

Yeh they are different. I also have a patternmaster and duck commander choke that will fit an SBE 1 though. I also have the M1 and my dad has an SBE 1. I'll find them and shoot u a PM.

specktator 10-04-2010 11:22 AM

And my M1 has a stock modified choke stuck in it. I cannot get it out. Brought it to Custom Gun and they told me they would have to cut my barrel to get it out. So I just left it.

Bluechip 10-04-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 197494)
And my M1 has a stock modified choke stuck in it. I cannot get it out. Brought it to Custom Gun and they told me they would have to cut my barrel to get it out. So I just left it.

Did you try soaking it in Kroil Oil...

specktator 10-04-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 197541)
Did you try soaking it in Kroil Oil...

Yup

Bluechip 10-04-2010 04:51 PM

Did you try putting any heat on it.....Not much, just a little..

I'm a Machinist, I love messing with things like that....

specktator 10-04-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 197559)
Did you try putting any heat on it.....Not much, just a little..

I'm a Machinist, I love messing with things like that....

I wanted to try that but it's camo and I didn't wanna melt the paint. It's my backup gun and all I use it for is duck hunting. If it was a full choke stuck in there I would be more worried about it.

Bluechip 10-04-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specktator (Post 197562)
I wanted to try that but it's camo and I didn't wanna melt the paint. It's my backup gun and all I use it for is duck hunting. If it was a full choke stuck in there I would be more worried about it.

I understand....I was thinking more along the lines of an industrial heat gun and not an open flame...

If you ever decide to mess with it, let me know...

wtretrievers 10-04-2010 05:20 PM

That camo will take alot of heat, maybe not a direct open flame, I've had have it hot enough where you spit on it & it would sizzle!

Like mentioned spray a little Kroil oil let sit then heat, even may try the kroil let sit & put in boiling water.