SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tackle thread (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144)

huntin fool 05-06-2009 05:08 PM

Tackle thread

This is where you can talk about the hottest reels,rods,baits,boxes,etc!
i was waiting for someone to start something like this but i guess i will!
this can be freshwater/or saltwater.

Two question for the saltwater fishermen-

I have some big 1/2 3/8 spinner bait heads,i obviously dont catch bass on the calcasieu big enough to use those. Instead of putting them to waist i was going to use them for saltwater. Would those work?

Also, do freshwater baits like the rage tail shad, do any of yall ever use that for saltwater? Just basically wondering if anyone uses freshwater baits sometimes for Saltwater:help:

huntin fool 05-06-2009 05:15 PM

One more question..

what size (lbs) line do yall use?

i switched to berk.big game 12 lb, and love it! It doesnt kink up like other lines

bigdog 05-06-2009 05:20 PM

yea HF, I never used a rage tail shad, but i uses spinner baits all the time.

My favorites bait is made by Mann's is the Tidewater Mid 1-Minus.

http://www.mannsbait.com/images/prod...Mid1-minus.jpg

LaAngler 05-06-2009 05:23 PM

i was looking at the new citica's the other day, didn't like how the worm gear is open from the front of the reel looking back, the saltwater soaks it faster and breaks down the lube quicker IMO.

huntin fool 05-06-2009 05:23 PM

cranking

You use crank baits in saltwater? That just opened up a whole new door..lol

huntin fool 05-06-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 1726)
i was looking at the new citica's the other day, didn't like how the worm gear is open from the front of the reel looking back, the saltwater soaks it faster and breaks down the lube quicker IMO.

really? may have changed my mine on using it in saltwater...

huntin fool 05-06-2009 06:42 PM

Laangler- did yall ever use frog baits like horny toads, scum frogs,etc. on the river?

LaAngler 05-06-2009 06:45 PM

i never did, used lizards from time to time, most of the time i either used a finesse worm, a white spinnerbait or buzzbait, or a chartreuse or crawfish rattletrap or shallow diving crankbait.

i don't think saltwater will hurt the citica at all i'm just nit pickin

i heard falcon's coming out with a new super light rod for 100 bucks BTW

huntin fool 05-06-2009 07:29 PM

hmm..then falcon may be getting 100 dollas from me..

huntin fool 05-06-2009 07:33 PM

Do any of yall make yalls own baits? Just curious..I tried it once but don't know what kind of wood to use..

Dink 05-06-2009 07:37 PM

My new favorite line is the samurai braid.............15lb test is diam of 4lb mono.....also, smooth like no other, doesn't frey, or eat up eyes, sinks well in deeper water, great with topwaters.............List goes on and on............Tim

Salty 05-06-2009 09:21 PM

12 comments in this thread and 7 of 'em belong to Fool. He must be talkin' to himself again. :)

coachlaw 05-06-2009 10:22 PM

Shad rig under a cork. Same rig I used when I was a kid. I've tried all sorts of baits. From spoons to top waters, etc. I always go back to old faithful. Nothing catches fish like a shad rig under a cork. With bait for reds, without bait for specks. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who are better fishermen than I am, but my freezer don't lie.

LaAngler 05-06-2009 10:49 PM

shoot yeah, don't get me wrong i'll throw a corky all day long, but i fish my share of H & H sparkle beetles under a cork when the going gets tough, and we've made a lot of believers in them too....

bigdog 05-06-2009 11:00 PM

Yea, nothing better than two red or two trout on a Double Shad Rig

http://shop.oysterbaytackle.com/images/spec18.jpg

Gerald 05-06-2009 11:48 PM

HF.........You can catch Red fish on just about any bait that you use in freshwater.

Trout will hit many of the same lures, but spoons, spinner baits [buzz baits], rattle traps, and most of the topwater are some of the best.

Too Tall 05-07-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 1724)
One more question..

what size (lbs) line do yall use?

i switched to berk.big game 12 lb, and love it! It doesnt kink up like other lines

30lb Power Pro on my egg beaters and 12lb Trilene XL on my baitcasters.

Big Flounder 05-07-2009 06:32 AM

Cajun Line

I like the 14lb Cajun Line. I've drug old crab traps out of the water with crabs in it. Tough stuff.

wtretrievers 05-07-2009 07:04 AM

HF

If you get the reds hittin on top....throw a lunkerlure (buzzbait) they will CRUSH IT!!!!!!:bluefish:

Big Flounder 05-07-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtretrievers (Post 1920)
If you get the reds hittin on top....throw a lunkerlure (buzzbait) they will CRUSH IT!!!!!!:bluefish:

Tell them how you like to catch the gaff top. LOL