SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Garmin vs Lowrance (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17724)

Big Ridge 04-10-2011 07:05 AM

Garmin vs Lowrance

Guys any recommendations for Garmin Vs Lowrance GPS/Fishfinder sonar, I was leaning towards the Lowrance HDS 8 for my new Haynie. I would like a console mount. What are your thoughts. Thanks

Hydro 04-10-2011 07:29 AM

Nothing against Garmin as they make good quality gear, but the HDS is the fa-schiz !!!

I kept my HDS 5 when I sold my Pathy and will be installing it in my new marsh rig once its delivered... Make sure to use the external transducer, its supposed to make a difference...

Hydro

skeeter77346 04-10-2011 07:54 AM

if you marsh fish, get the Navionics Platinum + for the Lowrance - IMO it spanks the Garmin for clarity and detail with Google Earth images. I ran that chip on an HDS 10 and it was impressive. Maybe run over to Breakwater Marine and get Derek to demo them for you. http://www.breakwatermarine.com/ BTW, Derek knows (and sells / installs) all of these units and can fix you up. Good luck.

Big Kahunaz 04-10-2011 05:58 PM

Glad this was posted......I'm looking at upgrading myself and am looking at the HDS-7 or the Garmin 541s. I've had lowrance and am familiar with the system from having the lcx-25 model. I like the look and ease of the garmin....but not sure how detailed the graphics are for the inland lakes? (basically im looking for the best unit for salt and fresh water fishing....and need the best maps and detail for freshwater....guess my concern is i was very happy with the lowrance and concerned if garmins depthfinder/map graphics are comparable.) ANyone here gone from one to the other that can give some Pros and cons for each unit? and what's the difference b/w the hds 7 and hds 5? Are the garmins just as good for setting waypoints and updating?
Reviews on each welcomed!

Ray 04-10-2011 06:31 PM

Garmin prolly makes one of the best GPS, mainly cause they are so user friendly.
But their bottom finder/fish finder is not the best.

Hummingbird makes a great bottom finder/fish finder, but not so good GPS.

Never owned a Lowrance of any kind.

simplepeddler 04-10-2011 08:47 PM

Lowrance's customer service leaves ALOT to be desired.

Garmin in constantly updating the software but it's easy as all get out to download from the net.

I have had the LMF gauge package for almost three years now and I still struggle with it and no one seems to even have a clue at Lowrance or interested to help.

www. thehulltruth.com is the only place where people helped.

Sea-Trac Offshore 04-10-2011 08:57 PM

Lowrance has a better sounder for sure. The HDS units are very nice and for inshore fishing its a tough call between Garmin and Lowrance.

The LMF stuff is a pain. Email me at swamppro @ yahoo.com to explain the problem.

ckinchen 04-10-2011 09:07 PM

I went with a Garmin 740S touch screen on my Haynie, I have been happy with it. Lowrance makes a great product as well. I hate reading directions so I went with the Garmin as based upon the feedback that I reviewed they tend to be a little easier to work with. I have heard the Lowrance fish finder function is better.

jchief 04-10-2011 09:23 PM

I have a HDS 7 with the down scan and I love it. If you are fishing on Big Lake, the down scan isn't that big a deal, but on Tolede. WOW

It is fairly user friendly compared to their older units.

bluewing 04-10-2011 09:49 PM

I find the garmin is 10x more user friendly than the lowrance. You don't want to be fooling with buttons while your running.

Big Kahunaz 04-11-2011 12:10 AM

Will the sounder get the job done as far as imaging and distinguishing different bottom types etc.? Are there options as to the strength of the transducer you can purchase for the units?

Big Kahunaz 04-11-2011 12:12 AM

Are the lowrance elite series like the older units? lcx lcm etc? but updated?

Sea-Trac Offshore 04-11-2011 05:58 AM

The Garmin sounders will get the job done. The newer sounders from Garmin are more sensitive now. The elite is like the older units but updated. Its a tough decision between the two. Garmin is the most user friendly and best costomer service around. Lowrance has an incredible sounder with the down and side scan option if wanted. I would go somewhere and take a look at both before making a decision.

cmdrost 04-11-2011 08:49 AM

I had lots of experience with both.......Garmin seems more user friendly with the touch screen options, but both are nice. I currently own a Lowrance. Would like to upgrade though to either the Lowrance HDS 8 or Garmin 740s

booyagasha 04-11-2011 09:15 AM

i and a few podnuhs all have bad experiences with lowrances super corrosive cables. Every singe plug/pin on both my chartplotter and FF are corroded out. and it sits on top the CENTER CONSOLE behind the windshield

but HDS 10 is BEAST..

Big Kahunaz 04-11-2011 12:41 PM

anyone have a 531s for inland lakes? I'm thinking that it will be best option to have the inland lakes detailed....really don't need super detail on coastal waterways...just basic areas for waypoints and what not. Can anyone chime in on this opinion********

Dink 04-11-2011 03:32 PM

I have the 431s........its awesome! Love it.

troutwhisperer 04-11-2011 05:46 PM

Any of y'all know where to take a garmin gps to get fixed around lake Charles

Marshrat 04-11-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutwhisperer (Post 243403)
Any of y'all know where to take a garmin gps to get fixed around lake Charles

Try Ardoin's electronics, Nolan Ardoin works on a lot of units for my uncle and his buddies with shrimp boats. He is located off Hwy 14 near Procession Propeller.

Warren

troutwhisperer 04-11-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshrat (Post 243405)
Try Ardoin's electronics, Nolan Ardoin works on a lot of units for my uncle and his buddies with shrimp boats. He is located off Hwy 14 near Procession Propeller.

Warren

appreciate it boss...ill check it out