SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any Turkey Hunters Out There? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27850)

Smalls 02-06-2012 12:22 PM

Any Turkey Hunters Out There?

Just wonderin if we got any turkey hunters out there? Gettin into it this year, so just wonderin if anyone from the Lake Charles area hunts and if they hunt the public lands around here. Unfortunately, that is my only option for the near future. Hoping to get on West Bay lottery.

wtretrievers 02-06-2012 12:51 PM

Me & my boys turkey hunt, but we hunt in Mississippi. Our place is loaded with birds.

Top Dawg 02-06-2012 01:04 PM

I hunt kisatchie. Never hunted west bay.

PBJ 02-06-2012 01:15 PM

I hunt on my lease and Kisatchie. Got drawn for the Westbay lottery last year but didn't have any luck.

Hopedale Hustler 02-06-2012 01:35 PM

I hunt but it's over this ways towards bogalusa do ok for public land but see much more birds during deer season and much more deer during turkey season...wonder why ?

jchief 02-06-2012 01:41 PM

I think Gearld hunts em on public land

RatherBFishin 02-06-2012 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hunt on my deer lease in DeRidder. If you are looknig for public land to hunt I would try Clear Creek and Kisatchie NF/ Fort Polk. I know alot of people who have success up there.

Duck Butter 02-06-2012 02:42 PM

Every bit of public turkey hunting land in Louisiana is hunted and hunted pretty hard, BUT many of the people will only hunt opening weekend and most of them only opening day til about 9 am (many 'turkey hunters' are just 'turkeys':), they see a flock of turkeys during the winter where they deer hunt and they get real pumped up and when they get there opening day where they saw those turkeys and don't hear ten turkeys gobbling at daylight they get discouraged, those turkeys split up and may be 5 miles from that area:rotfl:) Hunt the weekdays and especially the last week of the season. There will be less people and the turkeys are not as 'henned up' later in the season and are actually looking for some female companionship. I only got to hunt twice last year and it was on a new area I never stepped foot on before. Went to check it out on the afternoon before the last day and ended up killing one within an hour of being there. Didn't see a single person. Also, be REALLY REALLY tight-lipped if you do happen to find a bird or two, tell anyone who asks you about your hunt that you didn't see or hear anything and that you were leaving to go fish Big Lake because the trout were jumping in the boat at Joe's Cove:grinpimp:

Jordan 02-06-2012 02:47 PM

i hunt 'em... Never killed one. Got all equipment and land, just never killed

PBJ 02-06-2012 03:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some I've taken over the past few years. I can't call worth a crap so I have to spend alot of time in the woods and try to be in the right place at the right time.

Smalls 02-06-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 388817)
Every bit of public turkey hunting land in Louisiana is hunted and hunted pretty hard, BUT many of the people will only hunt opening weekend and most of them only opening day til about 9 am (many 'turkey hunters' are just 'turkeys':), they see a flock of turkeys during the winter where they deer hunt and they get real pumped up and when they get there opening day where they saw those turkeys and don't hear ten turkeys gobbling at daylight they get discouraged, those turkeys split up and may be 5 miles from that area:rotfl:) Hunt the weekdays and especially the last week of the season. There will be less people and the turkeys are not as 'henned up' later in the season and are actually looking for some female companionship. I only got to hunt twice last year and it was on a new area I never stepped foot on before. Went to check it out on the afternoon before the last day and ended up killing one within an hour of being there. Didn't see a single person. Also, be REALLY REALLY tight-lipped if you do happen to find a bird or two, tell anyone who asks you about your hunt that you didn't see or hear anything and that you were leaving to go fish Big Lake because the trout were jumping in the boat at Joe's Cove:grinpimp:

Good advice, thanks Duck Butter. I know the WMA's are heavily pressured when it comes to anything, but good advice about hunting the last week of the season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBFishin
I hunt on my deer lease in DeRidder. If you are looknig for public land to hunt I would try Clear Creek and Kisatchie NF/ Fort Polk. I know alot of people who have success up there.

Also thinking about hunting those, especially clear creek late in the season. CC may be my only option if I don't get drawn for West Bay. I'm a little iffy on Kisatchie because I know that is a hot spot for turkeys and ALOT of people hunt there.

Gerald 02-06-2012 05:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 388800)
I think Gearld hunts em on public land

Did someone say something about hunting those "Thunder Chickens"????

Here is a few pictures. That second picture is a Turkey....he fell back into a ditch and flopped some in the water.

Smalls 02-07-2012 02:36 PM

Nice turkeys, Gerald. Where'd you get those at?

Gerald 02-08-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 389266)
Nice turkeys, Gerald. Where'd you get those at?

Those Birds are from Public WMA's.

specktator 02-08-2012 05:13 PM

I love turkey hunting. I hunt Sherbune WMA a few times a season. Since the last storm, real hard to get on birds with down trees. I have some private land in St. Francisville that I hunt mostly.

Finfeatherfur 02-08-2012 06:35 PM

It's addictive!!! I will be hunting our new place in Mississippi this year. We have a ton of birds, but we have way too many hens. I had 35 in one food plot the last weekend of deer season, and only had 1 tom in the bunch. He was huge and will be hard to kill with all those ladies. It should be a good year since we had a good food crop and we have some great habitat for them.

Pat Babaz 02-09-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBJ (Post 388791)
I hunt on my lease and Kisatchie. Got drawn for the Westbay lottery last year but didn't have any luck.

PBJ, maybe you could line 'em out on that Kisatchie turkey hunting, like where to go AND WHERE NOT TO GO :grinpimp::p

DUCKGOGETTER 02-09-2012 08:42 AM

One day i'll get my chance at one of them suckers

Duck Butter 02-09-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 389738)
It's addictive!!! I will be hunting our new place in Mississippi this year. We have a ton of birds, but we have way too many hens. I had 35 in one food plot the last weekend of deer season, and only had 1 tom in the bunch. He was huge and will be hard to kill with all those ladies. It should be a good year since we had a good food crop and we have some great habitat for them.

Probably a big flock of mostly males somewhere:)

DUCKGOGETTER 02-09-2012 10:17 AM

I bet it's hair raising when one of them suckers is struting and gobbling!!!!