SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Trolling motor help! (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37770)

SGib 10-30-2012 08:19 PM

Trolling motor help!
 
Minn Kota 101. Cuts off after a few seconds, off for 5-10seconds then repeats. Changed male and female plug. Found that one of my batteries was bad and not holding charge. Picked up new battery today thinking problem solved but no. Any Suggestions?? Or where I can bring it. Thanks

dedwards04 10-30-2012 08:24 PM

Sounds like the armature. Try tapping the foot of the trolling Motor softly while holding the power button on and see if it tries to kick on. Also turn the prop 1/4 turn at a time and try the power button to see if it'll kick on. I had the same problem with one of my minn kotas. Armatures are about $100 and easy to change.

dedwards04 10-30-2012 08:26 PM

I found out sometimes if you hit something hard enough while trolling it'll brake them magnets loose in there and cause the same symptoms.

dedwards04 10-30-2012 08:28 PM

Northlandmarine.com has really good prices on all minn Kota replacement parts. They also have great diagrams.

CajunSaint 10-30-2012 08:29 PM

It's probably working like your NFL TEAM??? J/J I have no idea good luck!!!

Gerald 10-30-2012 08:30 PM

Sounds like it might be the circuit breaker that attaches to the battery Positive (+) terminal.

Cheap fix....only $ 5 at auto parts store it that is your problem. It is probably a 40 amp, but look on the old one to be sure. Your 101 TM might take a 50 amp breaker.

If you run it on low speed, does it keep running? A bad circuit breaker will trip under higher loads but should [might ?] keep running under a small load.

SGib 10-30-2012 08:49 PM

I think you nailed it Gerald. I will do a few trials tomorrow when I get in. Thanks.

bgizzle 10-30-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedwards04 (Post 510519)
I found out sometimes if you hit something hard enough while trolling it'll brake them magnets loose in there and cause the same symptoms.

^^^^^ I heard this 2^^^^^^%

OhSoEasy 10-31-2012 12:09 AM

Mine was acting similar to that. took it apart and a magnet was loose.

SGib 10-31-2012 09:23 PM

Didnt have time to check breakers but 50% and down work fine.

PaulMyers 10-31-2012 09:41 PM

Sounds like it is overheating. Check all battery connections for corrosion. If the TM plugs in, check connections inside of the plug and the back of the receptacle for corrosion. If the wire has a splice, check it for corrosion also.

swt70611 10-31-2012 09:49 PM

Circuit breaker! Change it and like Paul said clean all the connectors. Dirty connectors equal high current which trps the breaker. When it cools it resets. Grounds too they cause havoc

DA COVE 11-01-2012 01:21 AM

The printed circuit type wiring the runs fron your handle that pivots to the inside of head get brittle after awhile. might check that. Does the frequency of the problem change when you raise or lower the handle? Mine gave me similar problems a few months ago.

SGib 11-02-2012 04:09 PM

Circuit breaker. Fixed it today 5.11 at auto store. Thanks for the input guys!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted