SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Spawn is starting at Lake Martin (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40911)

Montauk17 01-31-2013 08:38 PM

Spawn is starting at Lake Martin

My brother called me up this afternoon wanted to make a afternoon run. Figured it would be tough after the front,boy was I wrong. We fished the north side of the lake in the lilly pad and grass mats with a black n red pitt boss. Fished for 3 hours ended up with 12 bass. Nothing huge 2-3 pounders but they were all full of eggs and in 1-2 fow. Next full moon it will be on.

Armand16 01-31-2013 08:44 PM

Good report.. Music to my ears.

Montauk17 01-31-2013 08:44 PM

Lake looks great with the high water!

CajunSaint 01-31-2013 08:50 PM

Thanks for the report!!!! May the lake Sat.

Montauk17 01-31-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSaint (Post 543619)
Thanks for the report!!!! May the lake Sat.

I plan on going back saturday with the jig pole try to catch some slabs. My brother does not fish for sacalait much so we didn't even try. Will be in a light blue 15' duracraft with a 60 johnson.

CajunSaint 01-31-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 543624)
I plan on going back saturday with the jig pole try to catch some slabs. My brother does not fish for sacalait much so we didn't even try. Will be in a light blue 15' duracraft with a 60 johnson.

I'll holler!!!

Thanks again!

bgizzle 01-31-2013 11:17 PM

What's dive limit on em over there caught a few in recent trips threw em all back tho. 12-13 1/2"
Same with sacs do they have a size limit on em?

Montauk17 01-31-2013 11:19 PM

No size limit on bass or sacalait at lake martin. If you want to keep bass the 12-15 inchers are the best to eat. I let all the bass go they were about to pop with eggs. Sacalait is a different story though,pop them in hot grease. No size limit on them statewide cept for toledo I think they gotta be 10"

bgizzle 01-31-2013 11:25 PM

I knew I heard 10" somewheres that's why I didn't keep em other day. I threw bass back for reason you stated. They were in 2' of water and egged up so I figured that. I may go tomorrow afternoon to check the strength of battery and finish running ethanol fuel out.

Montauk17 01-31-2013 11:27 PM

I think darbonne recently changed to a 10" limit as well....no need to go that far though plenty of sacalait down south.

Country Boy 01-31-2013 11:27 PM

Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm not to much on bass but I'll tear up some sacalait !

Montauk17 01-31-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Boy (Post 543719)
Good to know, thanks for the info. I'm not to much on bass but I'll tear up some sacalait !

I love to catch bass but while I am bass fishing I always end up picking up the jig pole when the area looks crappie.

CajunSaint 01-31-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 543721)
I love to catch bass but while I am bass fishing I always end up picking up the jig pole when the area looks crappie.

X2

bgizzle 02-01-2013 04:44 AM

Beetle spin Baw!!!! I like to jig but when I spin its always with a beetle spin!! Fish hard my friends

fishingonewild 02-01-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 543624)

let me know how u do with sac a lait there cux im dying to go back there to catch some. cux last year i went out there but it was too late for me cux they finished spawning earlier than expected due to warm winter we had last year but i did catch a few nice slabs but hopefully this year i can be right on them and i even got the clear jig tube u were speaking of the other day but this clear jig tube has some black spots on it so im hoping its clear enuf. will try that out to see if it really works even i love using blue and white. but will try to see if i can catch some grass shrimp to tip them on the end of the hook of the clear tube.

Montauk17 02-01-2013 09:22 AM

I love fishing treetops or grass mats ripping them out...never caught a sacalait on a beetle spin.

Montauk17 02-01-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingonewild (Post 543785)
let me know how u do with sac a lait there cux im dying to go back there to catch some. cux last year i went out there but it was too late for me cux they finished spawning earlier than expected due to warm winter we had last year but i did catch a few nice slabs but hopefully this year i can be right on them and i even got the clear jig tube u were speaking of the other day but this clear jig tube has some black spots on it so im hoping its clear enuf. will try that out to see if it really works even i love using blue and white. but will try to see if i can catch some grass shrimp to tip them on the end of the hook of the clear tube.

They there I promise you....Fish the north bank in the lilly pad mats. It can be tough fishing....sometimes you gotta make a opening in the lillys to drop your jig in. I use something similar to a frog gig to open up the lillys. Don't use a cork either,tightline. Shiners work good too when they get picky.

fishingonewild 02-01-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 543789)
They there I promise you....Fish the north bank in the lilly pad mats. It can be tough fishing....sometimes you gotta make a opening in the lillys to drop your jig in. I use something similar to a frog gig to open up the lillys. Don't use a cork either,tightline. Shiners work good too when they get picky.

north bank is when u go straight across from boat launch right? cux i tried there a few times and didnt catch maybe its because im using a cork. i need to try without it and see if tha makes a big different but what abt the area where that water pump is on the right side coming out from the boat launch. i think there that watch tower by it and a pier u walk out on. i did catch a few good size in the trees around tha area. im still learning my way around at lake martin but when people say north bank or etc im like ahhh where is that at lol...

Montauk17 02-01-2013 10:15 AM

North side is where the dam is....it's not a watch tower just a small wooden peir by the pump. Water is spilling over the water is so high but the current is helping the bite I think.

fishingonewild 02-01-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 543812)
North side is where the dam is....it's not a watch tower just a small wooden peir by the pump. Water is spilling over the water is so high but the current is helping the bite I think.

a dam! that is new to me.... i never seen a dam over there in lake martin im thinking of the one where u come in onto the gravel road and see a big drain where the water drains out from lake martin and there a little long walkway to sigh see right by it. but as of in the lake itself i never seen no damn just that pump and big pier to fish off of.