SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   work smart, sharpening (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42115)

Andy C 03-15-2013 05:52 PM

work smart, sharpening
 
Know a few of you guys have them.
A. How do you keep from roleing the tip?
B. Should I start with the green belts, or the red one's ? Ask cause have worn 2 reds and 2 purple one's out.
C. On your hunting knives do ya'll use the outdoor "guide" or the kitchen "guide". I Can get my knives sharp but they don't last long. I know hogs are hard on them anyway. Just looking for yalls thoughts/experience's.

Bdv2642 03-15-2013 06:53 PM

start with the coarse belt and work your way to the fine belt. As far as the guide you kinda have to play with it. It is best to use the guide that best fits the factory edge (less work than putting a new edge). I find the edge doesn't last that long with this sharpener but I haven't found a sharpener that will keep a razor edge on any of my knives. But that is why I still like this sharpener b/c it only takes a minute to redo it.

DA COVE 03-15-2013 07:00 PM

Keeping an edge has a lot to do with what alloy and hardness of the blade. Usually the more expensive blades hold an edge longer, but not always the case.

Goooh 03-15-2013 07:52 PM

If you make your knife razor sharp the edge will roll real quick unless you are only cutting real soft materials.

My best edge for heavier things is when I use a "utility" edge. A razor like edge is good for shaving hair on your wrist, slashing folks and impressing buddies, but the way we use knives as outdoorsman calls for a more rough edge that will hold longer. The really sharp edge means the blade is super thin at the edge and rolls very easily. The finer you go when sharpening, the more often you will sharpen if you are actually using your knife.

I've never used the sharpener you are talking about, but keep this in mind when using any sharpener.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScubaLatt 03-15-2013 08:46 PM

My wife got me this for my birthday and I sharpened every knife in my house and hunting bag. I am looking for more stuff to sharpen! I love this thing. Wish it was 12 V so it would be portable.

sniper3726 03-15-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaLatt (Post 560403)
My wife got me this for my birthday and I sharpened every knife in my house and hunting bag. I am looking for more stuff to sharpen! I love this thing. Wish it was 12 V so it would be portable.



Get a small power inverter .

Andy C 03-15-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaLatt (Post 560403)
My wife got me this for my birthday and I sharpened every knife in my house and hunting bag. I am looking for more stuff to sharpen! I love this thing. Wish it was 12 V so it would be portable.

I got it for myself, but after 5-7 pigs just getting the backstrap out. But it's nice to have a good sharp one !

Andy C 03-15-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA COVE (Post 560367)
Keeping an edge has a lot to do with what alloy and hardness of the blade. Usually the more expensive blades hold an edge longer, but not always the case.

True I got some that last longer and some that wont clean one or two pigs

swamp snorkler 03-16-2013 07:41 AM

...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 560355)
Know a few of you guys have them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 560355)
A. How do you keep from roleing the tip?

I practiced on some cheap knives till I got decent them worked my up to my better knives. My best knife is a Santoku style so it mostly straight so the end didn't roll much.


B. Should I start with the green belts, or the red one's ? Ask cause have worn 2 reds and 2 purple one's out.

On the knives that were bad i started with the coarsest grit first then worked my way down. That last belt really puts an edge on it.


C. On your hunting knives do you’ll use the outdoor "guide" or the kitchen "guide". I can get my knives sharp but they don't last long. I know hogs are hard on them anyway. Just looking for yalls thoughts/experience's.


On my one skinning knife I did use the outdoor guide; it was a buck knife with a gut hook. It worked out okay.


I also find the cheaper the knife the easier it is to sharpen.

DA COVE 03-16-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 560503)
...


I also find the cheaper the knife the easier it is to sharpen.

Due to it being a softer alloy. Harder alloys will take a little longer to sharpen, but will hold an edge longer..

jchief 03-16-2013 10:21 AM

I am still working on keeping a point on them. Haven't got that quite figured out yet.

Once I got an edge on everything, it don't take long to touch them up

david79thomas 03-16-2013 11:43 AM

Think it would sharpen fishing hooks?

swamp snorkler 03-16-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david79thomas (Post 560598)
Think it would sharpen fishing hooks?

Possibly but youbhave to free hand it

bjhooper82 12-05-2013 09:00 PM

I know this thread is old but I just got my work sharp in today and I'm having the same problem with rolling the tip also. Does anybody have any suggestions?

elebouef 12-08-2013 11:00 AM

The reason the point is being rounded off is because you are letting the knife go down towards the end of the sharpening cycle. Be sure you hold the up towards the end. I had the same problem with mine at first, but was lucky enough to catch a demo at the sportsman's show at the dome and the seller explained and showed me why it was happening. Just don't let the knife drop when you are getting to the end.
Also if you flip the knife upside down and pass it on the belt you can slowly bring back your point.

jchief 12-08-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elebouef (Post 649389)
The reason the point is being rounded off is because you are letting the knife go down towards the end of the sharpening cycle. Be sure you hold the up towards the end. I had the same problem with mine at first, but was lucky enough to catch a demo at the sportsman's show at the dome and the seller explained and showed me why it was happening. Just don't let the knife drop when you are getting to the end.
Also if you flip the knife upside down and pass it on the belt you can slowly bring back your point.

Did some research on this also. The belt "forms" around the point when you bring it all the way through. You can do as above or stop the belt when the point reaches it.

bjhooper82 12-08-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elebouef (Post 649389)
The reason the point is being rounded off is because you are letting the knife go down towards the end of the sharpening cycle. Be sure you hold the up towards the end. I had the same problem with mine at first, but was lucky enough to catch a demo at the sportsman's show at the dome and the seller explained and showed me why it was happening. Just don't let the knife drop when you are getting to the end.
Also if you flip the knife upside down and pass it on the belt you can slowly bring back your point.

I'll be sure to do this next time. Thanks for the info.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted