SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bull Red - How to cook one? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42842)

Slidellkid 04-08-2013 03:14 PM

Bull Red - How to cook one?

Took the kid fishing to the cameron pier yesterday and ended up with a big bull red. What is the best way to cook them?

Thanks!

Feesherman 04-08-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slidellkid (Post 568669)
Took the kid fishing to the cameron pier yesterday and ended up with a big bull red. What is the best way to cook them?

Thanks!

Boil in gumbo pot for an hour. Then put on pit for an hour. While all that is going on order pizza. When pizza arrives taste fish. Then of course feed it to the dog and eat da pizza. Shoulda just threw it at a sign on da way home

meaux fishing 04-08-2013 03:36 PM

You can grill em on the half shell. Just cut that bloodline out

Clampy 04-08-2013 03:37 PM

Just put it on the pit scales down. It won't be terrible. ( Not near as good as a 16"-22" ) Better in a red gravy but on the pit will be fine. Plenty of butter and some lemon pepper.

Duck Butter 04-08-2013 03:42 PM

Cut out only the white meat, then make redfish cakes with it:)

MathGeek 04-08-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 568683)
Cut out only the white meat, then make redfish cakes with it:)

The key is the trimming so you only have white meat.

The meat has the consistency of chicken, but is very mild flavored.

My children prefer it fried and have given it the moniker "golden nuggets" because cut to size and fried, it reminds them of chicken nuggets.

Trying to cut down on fat and starch in my diet, I skip the deep frying, the battering, and the breading, preferring to heat a bit of butter in a pan, sprinkle liberally in Tony Chachere's Creole seaoning, and cook on medium high heat until it looks right.

My wife has also made delightful shish ka bobs.

If you get it trimmed right, bull redfish (and drum for that matter) are very tasty and flexible. If you don't trim well, you and those at your table will wonder why you bothered.

Sightwindow 04-08-2013 04:34 PM

MAke a courtbouillion. My version: Remove red meat, cube it up, make a roux, add vegetables, sautee down, add canned tomatoes, add some stock, season with garlic and creole seasoning, cook it down, stirring occasionally. Near the end, add the fish. Serve over rice.

evidrine 04-08-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sightwindow (Post 568693)
MAke a courtbouillion. My version: Remove red meat, cube it up, make a roux, add vegetables, sautee down, add canned tomatoes, add some stock, season with garlic and creole seasoning, cook it down, stirring occasionally. Near the end, add the fish. Serve over rice.

I agree with this!!!

A red gravy is good also.

duck enticer 04-08-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 568680)
Just put it on the pit scales down. It won't be terrible. ( Not near as good as a 16"-22" ) Better in a red gravy but on the pit will be fine. Plenty of butter and some lemon pepper.

I have cooked a few of them before. It is amazing how the tail end of the fish has hardly any meat. Redfish starts to get 2 and 3 bloodlines the bigger they get too.....Hardly easy to clean cutting through those big toe nail sized scales.

Anyhow we made a courtbouillon out of a 40 pounder. We used Italian tomatoes, rotel, onions, peppers and lots of basil leaves. All that tomato and spice covers up the taste of the grey (blood) meat.

Slidellkid 04-08-2013 05:39 PM

Thanks!

mcjaredsandwich 04-08-2013 05:48 PM

Where is ratdog when we need him?

cajunwader 04-08-2013 06:21 PM

Place fish on cedar plank. Season with Paul Prudhommes Blackened Redfish seasoning. Plenty of real butter. Grilled onions & bell peppers over top. Squeeze lemon over entire fillet. Then grill for 12 minutes over super hot fire in pit. Remove from pit. Throw away fish & eat cedar board.

Clampy 04-08-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajunwader (Post 568722)
Place fish on cedar plank. Season with Paul Prudhommes Blackened Redfish seasoning. Plenty of real butter. Grilled onions & bell peppers over top. Squeeze lemon over entire fillet. Then grill for 12 minutes over super hot fire in pit. Remove from pit. Throw away fish & eat cedar board.

Really similar to the recipe for inshore tuna.

Mako19 04-08-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 568764)
Really similar to the recipe for inshore tuna.

Inshore tuna?

Clampy 04-08-2013 09:15 PM

Jack Cravel.

Duck Butter 04-09-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 568686)
The key is the trimming so you only have white meat.

The meat has the consistency of chicken, but is very mild flavored.

My children prefer it fried and have given it the moniker "golden nuggets" because cut to size and fried, it reminds them of chicken nuggets.

Trying to cut down on fat and starch in my diet, I skip the deep frying, the battering, and the breading, preferring to heat a bit of butter in a pan, sprinkle liberally in Tony Chachere's Creole seaoning, and cook on medium high heat until it looks right.

My wife has also made delightful shish ka bobs.

If you get it trimmed right, bull redfish (and drum for that matter) are very tasty and flexible. If you don't trim well, you and those at your table will wonder why you bothered.

yep, keep the white meat:)

Pat Babaz 04-09-2013 08:45 AM

Never tried this, but heard you can bleed the filets out in an icechest for a few days just like you do deer meat. All the blood comes out and you have pretty white filets you can cook any way you want.

speck cc 04-09-2013 09:06 AM

Filet it twice, cut into thin strips and deep fry

Big Country7807 04-09-2013 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48933

With a honey, Italian dressing, Cajun power, butter, lemon juice and seasoning sauce. Keep basting and it forms a glaze on top. Awesome

Gerald 04-09-2013 11:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what I do with a big Red fish.