SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Welder in LC? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43246)

drjay 04-23-2013 06:23 PM

Welder in LC?

I bent the hell out of one of my boat trailer guides. It is galvanized steel and there is no way I can bend it back. Is there someone in LC that would be able to heat it and bend it back into shape, or do I just need to get a new one.

Either way, any advice on where to go in the LC area?

Thanks in advance!!

southern151 04-23-2013 06:53 PM

Too bad ya ain't closer. That said, I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

PaulMyers 04-23-2013 07:10 PM

The guy on the way to cal point does great work. He's about a mile down big lake hwy on the left after you turn off of country club rd.

BROWN FIN 04-23-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 572881)
The guy on the way to cal point does great work. He's about a mile down big lake hwy on the left after you turn off of country club rd.

Westside welding.

BROWN FIN

Top Dawg 04-23-2013 08:47 PM

I bring all my stuff to south side welding. He's fast/cheap/ and does very very good work. On another note if its galvanized and u heat it to bend it its no more good. Might as well change it.

drjay 04-23-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 572914)
I bring all my stuff to south side welding. He's fast/cheap/ and does very very good work. On another note if its galvanized and u heat it to bend it its no more good. Might as well change it.

What do you mean "no more good"? Is it that it will break? Or rust? I don't know squat about metal. It's only the guide post, so it's not an integral part of the trailer. Does it matter?

drjay 04-23-2013 08:50 PM

And thanks for everyone's input!

Bluechip 04-23-2013 08:51 PM

It's fatigued.... Or softened. You may be able to bend it back but it will always be weak in that spot and bend very easily..... Change it out like Top Dawg said.

southern151 04-23-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjay (Post 572916)
What do you mean "no more good"? Is it that it will break? Or rust? I don't know squat about metal. It's only the guide post, so it's not an integral part of the trailer. Does it matter?

If its just a guide, it will be fine. Have them coat it in cold galvanize and, it will be good to go.

southern151 04-23-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 572919)
It's fatigued.... Or softened. You may be able to bend it back but it will always be weak in that spot and bend very easily..... Change it out like Top Dawg said.

If its not structural, it will be just fine. I welded every type of allow one could imagine for 10 years and, can tell you welding q new one on will make that guide just as hot as bending the old one back.

Natural Light Kid 04-23-2013 08:57 PM

South side all the way!

CaptainBG 04-23-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid (Post 572924)
South side all the way!

I talked to joe last week said he's Been busy but Southside is first on my list

Top Dawg 04-23-2013 09:16 PM

Once you heat it and bend it not only will it be fatigue but it will rust. The spray galvanize does not protect like a dipped piece of steel. You can bend it back in place and it will be fine. But it will rust fast if you're around salt water.

Bdub 04-23-2013 09:42 PM

Post a pic and we will be able to tell you if you can repair it or not, after you heat it just prime it and paint it then spray the cold galvanize to match the other side...you wont need to replace it for a couple years

speckulator 04-24-2013 06:34 AM

southside welding never had any problems with them

swamp snorkler 04-24-2013 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If it's a guide post that is bolted to to your trailer change it out. For you would pay a welder probably $75 an hour you can almost buy a new one.

It its welded to your trailer it would probably be best to cut it off the trailer with a cut off wheel not a torch. Have them grind the weld off where it was welded to the trailer, re coat that spot with galvabar. Instead of having a new guide post re welded into place just get a bolt on guide post for that side of the trailer.

Posting a pic as mentioned above will be able to give us a much better understanding of your problem and a better solution for a fix.

Is it bolted on like this?

drjay 04-24-2013 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, it's bolted on similar to swamp snorkler's photo. I guess I'll price out a new one. Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

Lake Chuck Duck 04-24-2013 07:24 AM

I say it would be the same price to replace.

swamp snorkler 04-24-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 573001)
I say it would be the same price to replace.

I'd have to agree with this.

If you can find someone with a strong vise you could put it in a vis and bend it back pretty close till you get a new one. I wouldn't put any heat on it.

Lil Silver 04-24-2013 02:32 PM

DRJAY

A pile of c clamps and a 10 foot cheater pipe might line it out. PM me and I'll see if I can help you out. I'm north of Sulphur.