SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Still believe in fairy (crawfish)tales? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51556)

BuckingFastard 02-26-2014 01:15 PM

Still believe in fairy (crawfish)tales?

ive always said this and now someone was bored enough at lsu to do a little research.
http://www.wwl.com/Study--Straight-t...nd-sa/18471954

budndawn 02-26-2014 01:28 PM

Wash your crawfish all you want in fresh water then when you think they are clean add a box of salt to the clear water and watch the mud appear.

swamp snorkler 02-26-2014 01:32 PM

I do rinse my crawfish in water till the water is clear.

Super Spook 02-26-2014 01:57 PM

I always have said the Salt deal was myth. People love to argue that it works. It kills them faster than anything from what I have seen.

Pull n Pray 02-26-2014 02:01 PM

I guess now I will grab all the huge straight tail crawfish that no one else wants.

BuckingFastard 02-26-2014 02:05 PM

people will always believe what they want, ignorance is bliss.

BuckingFastard 02-26-2014 02:07 PM

im sure you can add zud and toilet bowl cleaner to the water as well. gets them real clean.

Matt G 02-26-2014 02:16 PM

I'm not arguing with their findings because I'm no scientist, but why do the ones with the straight tails always have a chalky like texture to the meat?

BassYakR 02-26-2014 02:18 PM

probably bc some with straight tails were dead.... But some of the ones tested may have been exactly what they said... in a bind and couldn't curl em....

swamp snorkler 02-26-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 668281)
I'm not arguing with their findings because I'm no scientist, but why do the ones with the straight tails always have a chalky like texture to the meat?

I peel the straight tails..... if they mealy I throw em out. If the like the rest of the meat they going down the gullet.

geoleo 02-26-2014 02:30 PM

Took 12 years and 34 million dollars to discover this, ashamed the study ended, selling the crawfish to the government for 12$ a pound had to end!

Just Kidding!!!

keakar 02-26-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Spook (Post 668274)
I always have said the Salt deal was myth. People love to argue that it works. It kills them faster than anything from what I have seen.

as to the study:

first off I wish they had explained how they determined the straight tail situation, was it separate testing or by boiling a sack full?

as to the purging question the study is wrong from the start because they are talking about purging the poop shoots and those who are cooking are trying to flush out the gills and recent food contents (stomach) NOT remove the contents already on its way out naturally. for this reason they miss the whole purpose and reason for purging as well as the effects salt has on making the crawfish flush the gills and expel the stomach contents. I am shocked no one there was able to realize that.

as to the purging argument:

its like the climate change argument, there is a tiny sliver of truth in there but its distorted.

the salt burns the gills so they flush them like mad and purge the mud from them in the process but it also kills them so you better be ready to go straight to the pot or risk a lot of dead loss.

the straight fresh city water from the hose has chlorine in it and that burns the gills to and makes them purge but it doesn't kill them so it is the best method for the average guy to use.

one thing most people don't know or don't think about is if you are using well water then soaking does nothing since there is no chlorine in the water so if you have well water you kinda do need to use salt to purge them but as mentioned you better have the pot full and hot ready to go before you purge and do a quick purge and straight to the pot, no time for drinking beer lol.

in most cases if you cook them within minute or two of dying they are just as good as live ones and most people cant tell, (tail meat is a little soft but not yet mushy)

mudman03 02-27-2014 02:52 AM

Salt is a myth. When you put a sack say 30 lbs in a ice chest of fresh water and they begin running out of oxygen they take a dump. Plain and simple, did my own study 2 years ago when I got bored. using air fed gold fish bowls and non air fed bowls. Case solved

Feesherman 02-27-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keakar (Post 668395)
as to the study:

first off I wish they had explained how they determined the straight tail situation, was it separate testing or by boiling a sack full?

as to the purging question the study is wrong from the start because they are talking about purging the poop shoots and those who are cooking are trying to flush out the gills and recent food contents (stomach) NOT remove the contents already on its way out naturally. for this reason they miss the whole purpose and reason for purging as well as the effects salt has on making the crawfish flush the gills and expel the stomach contents. I am shocked no one there was able to realize that.

as to the purging argument:

its like the climate change argument, there is a tiny sliver of truth in there but its distorted.

the salt burns the gills so they flush them like mad and purge the mud from them in the process but it also kills them so you better be ready to go straight to the pot or risk a lot of dead loss.

the straight fresh city water from the hose has chlorine in it and that burns the gills to and makes them purge but it doesn't kill them so it is the best method for the average guy to use.

one thing most people don't know or don't think about is if you are using well water then soaking does nothing since there is no chlorine in the water so if you have well water you kinda do need to use salt to purge them but as mentioned you better have the pot full and hot ready to go before you purge and do a quick purge and straight to the pot, no time for drinking beer lol.

in most cases if you cook them within minute or two of dying they are just as good as live ones and most people cant tell, (tail meat is a little soft but not yet mushy)

Can u give us a link to the study that proved all of this?

BuckingFastard 02-27-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 668534)
Can u give us a link to the study that proved all of this?

its like the blind leading the blind. some people just dont want to be proven wrong lololol

MarshRat89 02-27-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 668281)

I have a buddy that is an ag major and helped with the study. They cook different when the tails are stuck straight. They also took a dead crawish and a live one cooked them seperately and there was no difference. Both tails stayed curled.

"W" 02-27-2014 01:35 PM

LMAO people who I see put salt in crawfish to purge them still makes me LMAO

I knew that never work in pre K....

They only way to really purge crawfish is in tanks for 24/36 hrs while circulating water

duck enticer 02-27-2014 01:58 PM

Man that place is like 1.5 miles from my house as a crow flies.....I'm gonna have to go down there and help them out when they are running a "study" on boiled crawfish.