SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   fishing line question (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56293)

alphaman 09-18-2014 04:22 PM

fishing line question
 
How often should you or do you change your fishing line on your fishing poles? mono or braided line.

bayouchub 09-18-2014 04:48 PM

Depends on how often you fish and where your reels are stored?

alphaman 09-18-2014 05:07 PM

Twice to 3 times a month and they are stored in my boats rod compartments. The boat stored in a cover area. the boat doesn't see the sun until I go fishing

meaux fishing 09-18-2014 05:11 PM

I change my braid every couple of years I change mono every couple of months

speck-addict 09-18-2014 05:25 PM

2 years for braid
3-4 months for mono

scd 09-18-2014 05:27 PM

For my inshore gear, I am pretty much using just braid. I have both spinning and casting reels. When I notice the line is twisted pretty tight I load one reel to another (recycling the line) whereas the twisted part is now near the bottom of the spool. Oldest line gets discarded. I normally buy new line for my casting reels which gets recycled to my spinning reels. I back a reel with mono for about 1/4 of the spool then tie it to the braid and fill.

Jordan 09-18-2014 05:29 PM

braid---every year
mono---every trip

(i buy cheap line)

Swamprat587 09-18-2014 06:30 PM

I reverse my braid end over end at 6 months and change yearly. I dont fish mono anymore, but do run 10' of flourocarbon leader on my braid for live bait and change it every other trip.

alphaman 09-18-2014 07:11 PM

Where can I get a big spool of braid, Enough for 3 bait cast reel and 3 spinning reels

selout 09-18-2014 07:39 PM

Braid every year on mine, I also rinse my reels and rods after every trip and , lubricate the reels

marshrunner757 09-18-2014 08:01 PM

Put a single wrap of electrical tape on spool before spoiling with braid. If not the entire spool of string can slip on the spool. Just had this happen. Thought my drag was gone. First time its ever happened in about 10 years of using braid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Goooh 09-18-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshrunner757 (Post 720945)
Put a single wrap of electrical tape on spool before spoiling with braid. If not the entire spool of string can slip on the spool. Just had this happen. Thought my drag was gone. First time its ever happened in about 10 years of using braid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk


Will a Waterloo and core 50 still float if you add electrical tape?

bayouchub 09-18-2014 08:18 PM

Depends if its slap fulla braid or if theres mono backing.

Bumfisherman 09-18-2014 08:28 PM

I order Fins wind tamer online. They sell many different size spools. I highly recommend giving it a try.

ChrisD 09-18-2014 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 720939)
Where can I get a big spool of braid, Enough for 3 bait cast reel and 3 spinning reels


I buy 1500 yd spools from Walmart online of all places usually around $95 for the size I use. Compare that to a 150 yd spool from Academy at $22 and you save a lot in the long run.Attachment 75210

marshrunner757 09-18-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayouchub (Post 720953)
Depends if its slap fulla braid or if theres mono backing.

Yea. I run full then reverse at beginning of next season. Get 2 years that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

pddiaz 09-19-2014 07:32 AM

line
 
i very seldom change my line i use real majic spray when fishing liberally. sometimes go a year.

keakar 09-19-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayouchub (Post 720901)
Depends on how often you fish and where your reels are stored?

agreed, if stored outside they deteriorate in the sun quickly.

I ONLY use mono and change them once a year and by that time they are probably overdue but I want to get the most out of it.

I look at the color as well, I use florescent blue stren mono and when it loses its bluish color and turns white (about 6 months old) is when I think it "should" be changed but I wait until I see it start to break off on a few fish to replace it.

now keep in mind I keep my poles exposed in the garage but they are away from direct sunlight.

cant speak to fluorocarbon or braid as I don't use them.

also mono gets torn up fast and abrasions so sometimes I find im cutting off about the last 10-15 feet of line on each trip having to retie 5-10 times a day (1 or 2 feet each time) or the occassional abrasion of the line getting wrapped around things or under the boat. most spools will hold more then twice what you ever need so by the end of the year I may be down to half a spool of string which isn't much but for speck fishing all you need is enough for the average casting ranges.

my basic rule for most things is if you ask yourself if you need to change it then you probably do.

keakar 09-19-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 720939)
Where can I get a big spool of braid, Enough for 3 bait cast reel and 3 spinning reels

I bet if you do the math you may find you aren't saving anything by going to the big spools.

I often do the math trying to find the best value and find NO savings by buying volume spools, they literally price it by the yard no matter how much you buy. I still buy the volume spools for simplicity and so I don't end up throwing out a bunch of partial spools I have no use for and I don't tie two lines together unless its an emergency on the water, maybe I should and it doesn't matter but I don't like a knot in the middle of my line.

Clampy 09-19-2014 12:20 PM

Well if it cost 95$ for 1500 yds or 20$ for 150 that will save you a few bucks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted