SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reputible Guide Service (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58837)

marty f 03-17-2015 09:44 AM

Reputible Guide Service

I do not have the luxury of living near BL, so the trips I get to make are about once a month. This makes it tough to learn, but I read a lot, every report and I try to combine that with what experience I have, as well bugggin you guys and talking with a few friends.

Normally I can catch fish some days good, some not so good, but Id like to be more consistent with the good days. Id like to find a guide that will teach me on how to read the lake, the weather, the fish habits. I do not want someone that will just take me to a "secrete fishing spot", "private land" or the weirs and say here, fish there, this does me no good. I want to learn, I want to understand, I want to take what the lake and weather is telling me and make an educated assessment.

"Danny, I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen; all you have to do is get in touch with it. Stop thinking...let things happen...and be...the ball."

In this case, be the fish Marty

I will be the only one going, so this wont be a trip that Im having a "good ol time" with my buds, I want this to be a "Schools in trip" Im looking to target Redfish.

Does anyone have anyone they would recommend?

Thanks!
Marty

marty f 03-17-2015 09:45 AM

sorry about the font, no idea how I did that

FREON 03-17-2015 10:43 AM

"W"

AubreyLaHaye458 03-17-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREON (Post 744507)
"W"

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver_snipe 03-17-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

"W"

X3

mriguy 03-17-2015 12:09 PM

W or Jadams

ThePinkBanana 03-17-2015 12:11 PM

Good luck with that. Figuring out the lake is something that takes time and a ton of experience. I asked a lot of people the same questions you are asking, and nobody had time to "teach" me. Guides are too busy with their business and every day life to share their secrets they've busted their tails for to learn over the years....so... I took it upon myself and fished 3 days a week, sometimes five over the past two years.... And I'm still learning new things.... W Is your best source of knowledge, but some common answers I've recieved from him are " in the water on the lip" " north" "south" ect... So IMO there's no easy way out of your predicament except book a trip or two and see what they will be willing to share with you. If I had time, I would be willing to help... But I'm stretched too thin as it is... Good luck my friend.

MathGeek 03-17-2015 12:30 PM

I learned more about Big Lake the first time I went fishing with "W" than I had in many years of fishing the lake before that.

Purple Back 03-17-2015 12:31 PM

Matt Griffith
337-912-5939

marty f 03-17-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePinkBanana (Post 744522)
Good luck with that. Figuring out the lake is something that takes time and a ton of experience. I asked a lot of people the same questions you are asking, and nobody had time to "teach" me. Guides are too busy with their business and every day life to share their secrets they've busted their tails for to learn over the years....so... I took it upon myself and fished 3 days a week, sometimes five over the past two years.... And I'm still learning new things.... W Is your best source of knowledge, but some common answers I've recieved from him are " in the water on the lip" " north" "south" ect... So IMO there's no easy way out of your predicament except book a trip or two and see what they will be willing to share with you. If I had time, I would be willing to help... But I'm stretched too thin as it is... Good luck my friend.

Well Im doing what I can with what I have, thanks for the advice!

bobo23 03-17-2015 01:00 PM

Hiring a guide that is willing to teach is a great start. I went with a few and finally settled on a couple that I clicked with. What I learned is that they are all very good fisherman. Some better than others, but all good. The difference for me was that you can tell the ones that really LOVE what they are doing. They tend to be more inclined to teach and I gelled better with those guys. Waltrip is one of those.

But, here's the ugly truth, there are few shortcuts to consistently catching fish on this lake. It's just like anything else, the harder and smarter you fish the more you will learn and the better you will get.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

marty f 03-17-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo23 (Post 744535)
Hiring a guide that is willing to teach is a great start. I went with a few and finally settled on a couple that I clicked with. What I learned is that they are all very good fisherman. Some better than others, but all good. The difference for me was that you can tell the ones that really LOVE what they are doing. They tend to be more inclined to teach and I gelled better with those guys. Waltrip is one of those.

But, here's the ugly truth, there are few shortcuts to consistently catching fish on this lake. It's just like anything else, the harder and smarter you fish the more you will learn and the better you will get.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the tips. Im very diligent about trying to get all the information I can before I hit the lake, I do my home work, check water temp, winds, tides, weather, read reports ........... and I watch the cows :spineyes:. In fact due to my distance google earth and bing images have become my tools in searching the lake.

meaux fishing 03-17-2015 01:25 PM

W or Matt Griffith

jlincecum 03-17-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 744525)
I learned more about Big Lake the first time I went fishing with "W" than I had in many years of fishing the lake before that.

that was a fun day

jlincecum 03-17-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 744540)
W or Matt Griffith

x2

FREON 03-17-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

"W"

And if "W" isn't available, let me know and I can hook you up with the Captain who mentored him.....Capt. Ryan!!! :grinpimp:

mriguy 03-17-2015 02:45 PM

^^lol^^

marty f 03-17-2015 05:54 PM

Going With W.......... done deal

Goooh 03-17-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty f (Post 744593)
Going With W.......... done deal

Good choice, W is a stand up dude and knows his stuff.

I'll book with him when I'm ready, I doubt hill take me though after all the hell I give him in the sports bar...