SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Human scent and lures and fishing? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59972)

alphaman 05-25-2015 06:45 PM

Human scent and lures and fishing?

What think about this. Does our human scent really affect the smell of a lure when we touch them to place them on a hook? How good can a fish smell. I wood think just as good as a dog's scene of smell compared to our nose? What do you guys think?

Not only our scent but other things like, salty sweat from being in the sun, the food we eat, different lure that have scent.

keakar 05-25-2015 07:30 PM

there definitely is something to it, my uncle used to carry a bottle of green stuff on the boat to wash his hands to be sure there was no bug spray, wd40, gas, oil smell, or anything like that on his hands.

as long as you make sure your hands are clean I don't think just holding the bait puts any odor on the bait detectible by the fish

B-Stealth 05-25-2015 07:34 PM

Scent Blocker

I always spray my boat down with scent blocker before I hit the water in search of big trout. Strong cleaning chemicals can easily spook fish. I usually take a sample of the water home to soak my favorite lures in the night before I head out as well.

I never allow beer or strong smelling foods on the boat, and urinating in the water is strictly forbidden.

Goooh 05-25-2015 07:35 PM

Nice

wishin i was fishin 05-25-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 755978)
I never allow beer or strong smelling foods on the boat, and urinating in the water is strictly forbidden.

Well now I know where I have been going wrong...

AubreyLaHaye458 05-25-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin (Post 755988)
Well now I know where I have been going wrong...

If you're anything like me, you've been doing everything wrong. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clampy 05-25-2015 09:31 PM

I think when you working fast it doesn't matter but when you gotta fish slow it could matter.

Bdub 05-25-2015 09:31 PM

I prefer to use the croaker flavored "scent bomb" trailer hook setup...don't even have to worry about the scent on your hands with that rig.

B-Stealth 05-25-2015 09:45 PM

IMO-I'm sure there's situations where scent control or enhancement makes a difference but it's difficult for us to know exactly when. (Our water turbidity does not allow us to see much). . I'm willing to bet guys that fish clear H20 in S.Florida ect have some strong opinions regarding this topic.

For me I keep the sunscreen off the baits but that's about the extent of my scent management practices.

Trout rivers 05-26-2015 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keakar (Post 755975)
there definitely is something to it, my uncle used to carry a bottle of green stuff on the boat to wash his hands to be sure there was no bug spray, wd40, gas, oil smell, or anything like that on his hands.

as long as you make sure your hands are clean I don't think just holding the bait puts any odor on the bait detectible by the fish

Didn't the old timers scent their baits with WD40 back in the day?

eman 05-26-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trout rivers (Post 756014)
Didn't the old timers scent their baits with WD40 back in the day?

Yes they did

jpeff31787 05-26-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

I always spray my boat down with scent blocker before I hit the water in search of big trout. Strong cleaning chemicals can easily spook fish. I usually take a sample of the water home to soak my favorite lures in the night before I head out as well.

username matches up.. lol

AubreyLaHaye458 05-26-2015 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeff31787 (Post 756018)
username matches up.. lol

That confused me as well. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"W" 05-26-2015 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

LMAO ! Good one right there

redchaserron 05-26-2015 08:50 AM

Don't forget to wear the scent blocking long johns with activated carbon when wade fishing.

Some fish really do have an incredible sense of smell, think of spawning salmon that find their way from the ocean to the stream where they were born by following the scent of the water. That said, I don't know how averse they will be to human scent unless they have already had previous experience with humans to have conditioned them to react to the scent.

mr crab 05-26-2015 08:53 AM

I've heard that if you have skeeter dope on your hands, reds won't bite your lure if it tastes like off?

BassYakR 05-26-2015 09:03 AM

I think those scent blocking long johns come free when you purchase your wading permit. But dont forget... theres a different permit for west cove and big lake.... Sabine Lake wading permits are free tho. The fish even jump on the stringer for you over there.

mr crab 05-26-2015 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 88715

mriguy 05-26-2015 09:42 AM

Haha!!

mr crab 05-26-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriguy (Post 756059)
Haha!!

Got eeemmm