SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   New to me boat! (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64844)

Broke Down 07-11-2016 07:21 PM

New to me boat!

1 Attachment(s)
My brother-in-law has been watching me work on my little Alumacraft and I think he's been feeling sorry for me. I get a text to call him and he tells me about this 2003 Sea Fox 195 his customer wants to sell. I show up and look at it because the engine had a mild fire and has some blisters on the foot and a small portion of the gel coat. It has a Mercury 115 hp four stroke. Long story short, I bought it for a really good deal today. I need to paint a few things on the engine and get some gel coat repaired. Any suggestions on paint repair on the engine? Rattle can is cheap but I don't want it to peel.

smooth move 07-11-2016 09:04 PM

if you prep it good and use the manufacturers rattle can paint, it will not peel and it will look stock.

Broke Down 07-11-2016 10:55 PM

I hope so. I have a friend that is going to do it all for me. He may have some left over paint he said. Now for the gel coat, I wish it was that easy, just rattle can it on....lol.

CajunChristian 07-12-2016 08:40 AM

You might want to take the rig to a reputable dealer to check the engine. Years ago, I had a 19' ProCraft with a 200 Mariner. I took that boat 40 miles offshore. Never had a single issue. Even breaking down in Big Lake is a dangerous experience. Personally, I would take it to Lake Area Marine. Kyle or Gerald will not lie to you, it is what it is. If they tell you 4 weeks, it will be 4 weeks. The old saying about an ounce of prevention, means even more when it comes to marine stuff.
D

swamp snorkler 07-12-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broke Down (Post 800868)
I hope so. I have a friend that is going to do it all for me. He may have some left over paint he said. Now for the gel coat, I wish it was that easy, just rattle can it on....lol.

Id get a brand new can of paint if I was you. It's not that much and will do a better job.

latravcha 07-12-2016 11:58 AM

If you spend some time and compound and wax that hull it will look brand new.

Broke Down 07-12-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunChristian (Post 800882)
You might want to take the rig to a reputable dealer to check the engine. Years ago, I had a 19' ProCraft with a 200 Mariner. I took that boat 40 miles offshore. Never had a single issue. Even breaking down in Big Lake is a dangerous experience. Personally, I would take it to Lake Area Marine. Kyle or Gerald will not lie to you, it is what it is. If they tell you 4 weeks, it will be 4 weeks. The old saying about an ounce of prevention, means even more when it comes to marine stuff.
D

My brother-in-law has been a marine mechanic for 20 years now, luckily he checked it all before he called me. I know what you mean, that would be my luck. Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 800912)
Id get a brand new can of paint if I was you. It's not that much and will do a better job.

My friend is supposed to spray it with a gun instead of a can at the body shop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by latravcha (Post 800914)
If you spend some time and compound and wax that hull it will look brand new.

That is the plan! I found someone local that is trustworthy to fix the rear. I have some really good friends.

Thanks for the advice and concern guys. I am a sponge, I want to keep my family safe.

Broke Down 07-13-2016 11:31 PM

I ran into an issue, I moved the boat back on the trailer where it is supposed to be and I can't put a transom saver on it, what can I do?

Gerald 07-14-2016 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broke Down (Post 801090)
I ran into an issue, I moved the boat back on the trailer where it is supposed to be and I can't put a transom saver on it, what can I do?

Can you post a picture?

Most transom saver are adjustable and can be lengthen. Is it hitting the bottom of the boat?

If so, might have to raise the bunk boards to lift the boat.

perchman 07-14-2016 01:44 PM

Might have to weld a roller on the back end of trailer. Not touching the boat while on the trailer. Use it to put transom saver on it. Basically you are extending the trailer back four or five inches.

meaux fishing 07-14-2016 02:50 PM

I use motor stix and stabilizer clips. Never had a problem since I started using them. my motor would break the transom savers on bumpy roads before. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d446578577.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...2becb39f4b.jpg

redaddiction 07-14-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 801149)
I use motor stix and stabilizer clips. Never had a problem since I started using them. my motor would break the transom savers on bumpy roads before. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...d446578577.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...2becb39f4b.jpg

Those don't do anything to protect the transom. The motor still bounces and torque's on the transom. You have to move that energy to somewheres else. Hence the transom saver.

With those sticks you're just carrying the load back to the same place when the motor bounces. All it really protects is your tilt/trim system maybe.

meaux fishing 07-14-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 801153)
Those don't do anything to protect the transom. The motor still bounces and torque's on the transom. You have to move that energy to somewheres else. Hence the transom saver.

With those sticks you're just carrying the load back to the same place when the motor bounces. All it really protects is your tilt/trim system maybe.

Transoms don't get torqued when you are running and hitting big waves?

redaddiction 07-14-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 801171)
Transoms don't get torqued when you are running and hitting big waves?

Yeah, good point. I'm sure they do to some extent. But you don't have your lower unit sticking out like a pendulum acting as leverage like you do when hitting a pothole in the road. Or when going over that darn overpass in Franklin on Hwy 90. LOL

meaux fishing 07-14-2016 07:39 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...7fd0b7ba2c.jpg

meaux fishing 07-14-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 801172)
Yeah, good point. I'm sure they do to some extent. But you don't have your lower unit sticking out like a pendulum acting as leverage like you do when hitting a pothole in the road. Or when going over that darn overpass in Franklin on Hwy 90. LOL

Yeah that road broke 2 transom savers on my boat lol. That's why I switched to the motor stix.

redaddiction 07-14-2016 08:08 PM

Most motor manufacturers recommend trailering your boat with the motor trimmed completely down and vertical. This has the least amount of stress on the transom if not using a saver. Because of the absence of the torque effect. But that only works if you have enough ground clearance. Which most boat/motors do not. Those big offshore boats being pulled around on triple axle trailers don't need to stinking transom saver!! lol

B-Stealth 07-14-2016 11:21 PM

It makes me cringe when I see people trailering boats with the engine locked out all the way up.

clay67 07-15-2016 01:50 AM

When I would tilt my motor up it looked like the powerhead would tilt over the pivot point therefore transferring weight to the boat side. Have you ever tilted up a 25hp and it is easier to hold up at full tilt than a slight tilt? After awhile I decided to quit using the transom saver because I felt the tilt system was more prone to damage. Unfortunately for me I didn't keep my bay boat long enough to see if transom would have issues.

alphaman 07-15-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 801185)
It makes me cringe when I see people trailering boats with the engine locked out all the way up.

Yes that crazy watching the transom torque BC the motor bouncing[emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk