SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Where are all the ducks (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6552)

whunter29 01-04-2010 08:58 AM

Where are all the ducks

We are having the coldest winter in almost ten years and we still don't have the numbers we should have. I wonder what will be DUs excuse now along with the states excuse on why we don't have the number of ducks.

SULPHITE 01-04-2010 09:19 AM

They are all on R little's lease...

Jordan 01-04-2010 10:11 AM

lmao sulphite we seen a few hundred yesterday!

Cajun Outdoors 01-04-2010 12:14 PM

I believe a good portion of them are in venice. We saw thousands of ducks and 3 groups of hunters the whole time we were down there.

RaginCagin 01-04-2010 12:19 PM

They have moved into central Louisiana. The first split here sucked to say the least but the mallards are here in full force now along with the grays. I did not duck hunt last week but all of my buddies did. I may this week with all of the cold weather. Think it will be to cold to sit in my ladder stands deer hunting.

Raymond 01-04-2010 12:40 PM

Still have Mallards in Oklahoma as of the 31st of Dec but I believe they should be making their way south very soon. All water bodies should be locked up tight by Sunday so the marsh will be full. Our birds have left again but I have not lost hope that they will return like they have 2 other times this year. Our only problem now is how to endure standing in the marsh for 4 hours at below freezing temps.:shaking:

Shawn Braquet 01-04-2010 12:42 PM

R will you bring your dog in those temps, I dont think im going to bring drake if its in the 20's he shivers in 30's with a vest lol

Jordan 01-04-2010 12:43 PM

that was fun, i loved sitting on the redneck recliners in the cold. Actually i got hot a few times and about puked.... had to dip my arms in the water to cool down !!!

Raymond 01-04-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet (Post 97429)
R will you bring your dog in those temps, I dont think im going to bring drake if its in the 20's he shivers in 30's with a vest lol

Don't know if we will bring a dog this weekend,IT IS DANGEROUS FOR THEM TO BE IN THE WATER. HYPOTHERMIA AFFECTS YOUR DOG JUST LIKE A HUMAN.

Shawn Braquet 01-04-2010 01:50 PM

thats what i was thinking and we've been hunting the grass even though I have a portable dog walk that keeps him out the water I still think if its colder than 30 I'll leave him

Jordan 01-04-2010 01:51 PM

get a pee-rog !!!

Feesherman 01-04-2010 02:57 PM

It's not that the numbers aren't there. There is just so much water that the ducks can spread out all over the state. Just cause you ain't seen no ducks from your blind don't mean der ain't none.

Shawn Braquet 01-04-2010 03:17 PM

high water has killed everyone this year, my vinton lease has been high since opening weekend of dove season first split. At one point when toledo was draining good we were 3 1/2 to 4 feet high.

specktator 01-04-2010 03:46 PM

Yeh yall got me thinking about it now. I don't think I'm gonna bring my dog this week. Only prob is on most days in the marsh u need a dog to find 50% of your
kills! We shot prob 30 ducks from fri to today in PI. We aren't even seeing any ducks. If it wasn't for the scaup and ringnecks we wouldn't have killed but 2 greenheads and 2 mottles! I sure hope this front brings em down!