SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 695
Default Texas limits

Why is the TPWF so intent on making the hole coast of texas a 5 trout fish limit. I mean is it all about catching that trophy trout and thats it dont bring home any fish to eat that is a sin to most people of the state of Texas. I mean who puts a limit on gar fish freaking idiots.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

its not only Texas..almost every state on the coast is like that...It wont be long before the so-called "conservationist" and money grubbing guides get our limits changed.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 656

Hebert is right, I live in Texas and the guides are the pushing the fish limits. All the guides in port Manfield are the one that started the five fish limit. In a few years the guides will lose more and more trip. The big businsses are tell thier employee not to take part in hunt and fishing trip from vendor. thay fire you if you do
Now if their a 5 fish limits that will hurt the guides real bad
Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebert View Post
its not only Texas..almost every state on the coast is like that...It wont be long before the so-called "conservationist" and money grubbing guides get our limits changed.
It's already happened here. The guides got the limit on big lake changed from 25 to 15 with a limit on big fish. No where else in the state is like that. I wonder why??? Cuz big lake has the most guides and easier faster limits=good business. Had a biologist tell me that the worst thing to happen to big lake was the reduced limit because the more fish here reduces the chances of big trout. And if you can remember when the limit was 25 there were a number of 10lb fish comin out of the lake. And also he said that releasing big trout did not play a factor. They're not like bass. They come and go. No point in releasing a big trout full of eggs. Now this was a biologist but he said their studies were over ridden by the guides.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
It's already happened here. The guides got the limit on big lake changed from 25 to 15 with a limit on big fish. No where else in the state is like that. I wonder why??? Cuz big lake has the most guides and easier faster limits=good business. Had a biologist tell me that the worst thing to happen to big lake was the reduced limit because the more fish here reduces the chances of big trout. And if you can remember when the limit was 25 there were a number of 10lb fish comin out of the lake. And also he said that releasing big trout did not play a factor. They're not like bass. They come and go. No point in releasing a big trout full of eggs. Now this was a biologist but he said their studies were over ridden by the guides.

This is true. No biological reason at all for a reduced limit! The guides are in charge of our public resources. That is just sinful!!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
This is true. No biological reason at all for a reduced limit! The guides are in charge of our public resources. That is just sinful!!
Believe me it was not just guides that pushed this......and a lot of guides were against it....it was local big money politics....

Same politics that can get a limit reduces but fails to get the Oyster Raping seized
Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Believe me it was not just guides that pushed this......and a lot of guides were against it....it was local [and "East" side] CCA politics....

Same politics that can get a limit reduces but fails to get the Oyster Raping seized
Fixed it for you.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 863

Quote:
I'm gonna have to save this one.....
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Quote:
I'm at a loss for words at your insight, wisdom and hearsay.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
I'm at a loss for words at your insight, wisdom and hearsay.

Please direct me to the biological study that suggested the limits needed to be lowered. I have never seen it or had the chance to read it.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: 749

Quote:
I am gunna respectively disagree with this statement You have far more boats fishing this lake than you did say 10 yrs ago I would say on avg that on any given sunday you have the same total number of fish coming out of the water as you did before the limit reduction

If you noticed the survey that Jody Callahan did as part of a LSU research , most of fish that were tagged and released survived and most of them never left the lake

The avg catch per person per trip is somewhere around 5 fish so a 15 or 25 fish limit shouldnt make a difference to the avg person

we should be out there having fun and enjoying the outdoors not concerning ourself with a limit or a box full of fish. the amount of fish we bring in should not determine the success of a trip

If we go out there and are concerned about bringing in food for the table Save your money and go to the grocery store IT IS WAY CHEAPER
Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhntr03 View Post
I am gunna respectively disagree with this statement You have far more boats fishing this lake than you did say 10 yrs ago I would say on avg that on any given sunday you have the same total number of fish coming out of the water as you did before the limit reduction

If you noticed the survey that Jody Callahan did as part of a LSU research , most of fish that were tagged and released survived and most of them never left the lake

The avg catch per person per trip is somewhere around 5 fish so a 15 or 25 fish limit shouldnt make a difference to the avg person

we should be out there having fun and enjoying the outdoors not concerning ourself with a limit or a box full of fish. the amount of fish we bring in should not determine the success of a trip

If we go out there and are concerned about bringing in food for the table Save your money and go to the grocery store IT IS WAY CHEAPER
Everyone on this site should live by this statement. Just have fun.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I love this post!!!! Texas also has a limit on sheephead!! Lmao
Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 695

I mean dont they know most male trout will not even make the minumum size limit in texas of 15 inchs before they die and are crab bait.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

With a 15min is the worst thing for trout...Male trout start fertilizing eggs at 8-10 inches and females are spawning at 10-12inches...trout breed like rats and Texas is just stupid to keep lowering a limit on a fish that reproduces at rapid rates
Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I would like to do a study to see how many trout have been saved from the 25 to 15 reduce in limit

#1...Only a few guides can go out and land 100 trout a day consistently
#2...Weekend Warriors do not fill a 15per person limit and never fill a 25limit
#3....Most guides quit fishing around 2pm..so whats in the box is it
#4....I can not see any difference in my books over the years from before or after the limit change....Only thing I can see is a quicker limit time wise

No bigger fish are being caught.........Top 3 trout in the lake were Pre-15 limit...
Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Quote:
I would like to do a study to see how many trout have been saved from the 25 to 15 reduce in limit

#1...Only a few guides can go out and land 100 trout a day consistently
#2...Weekend Warriors do not fill a 15per person limit and never fill a 25limit
#3....Most guides quit fishing around 2pm..so whats in the box is it
#4....I can not see any difference in my books over the years from before or after the limit change....Only thing I can see is a quicker limit time wise

No bigger fish are being caught.........Top 3 trout in the lake were Pre-15 limit...
#1...False
#2...True
#3...True But most are in early with there limits.
#4...I thought you started saltwater fishing like 3 years ago.

There is no reason for keeping 25 fish per person. But even after 25 fish limits, gill nets and strike nets there are still plenty of fish in the lake.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
#1...False
#2...True
#3...True But most are in early with there limits.
#4...I thought you started saltwater fishing like 3 years ago.

There is no reason for keeping 25 fish per person. But even after 25 fish limits, gill nets and strike nets there are still plenty of fish in the lake.
Dude Im sure I was on Big Lake before you were ever introduced to saltwater fishing.......

and No...I will say 65% of guides could not bag a 100 trout daily...it may be higher... Plenty of days at Hebert I saw boats come in with only 50 or 75 trout.....and your buddys guide service was one of them.......

Select few will go out and boat 100 fish a day on the lake...and yes there are days when everyone can catch a 100 but less than not....

and if you took live shrimp fishing out of the subject....trout would blossom to record numbers
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
and if you took live shrimp fishing out of the subject....trout would blossom to record numbers

And trout 5lbs and over would decline in record numbers! Or that is my theory/opinion.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
And trout 5lbs and over would decline in record numbers! Or that is my theory/opinion.
Its a joke... But Im saying most can not catch trout on plastic and live shrimp is their only savior...

but again......you have to know how to fish and what areas to fish and where to fish at times of the year.

I limit out 85% of the times i fish......last year I keep in my boat 3,045 trout. I tagged and released over 200 along with Chris who tagged about 200 of his tags

Most of the time when I keep fish it goes to who is with me

I fished 110 days in 2010 with adv trip of 27.2 trout per trip... ( I fish with 3 guys about 40% of the time) This does not count all trout let go or undersize just what went in the box for the day.

My data book goes back to 2002 when i started keeping a log,,,,,,, biggest year I had was 2006 after Rita...which I believe I keep around 3900 trout

My least year was 2005 867 but we had Rita and I was in a car accident which keep me off the water half a year....

Now from 2001 to 2005 I did not work 7 n 7 I worked 5-3 and 4-3 for all these years.......which meant lot less time on the water..but I could keep a bigger limit

I also show over and over that trout come back to the same spots at the same time of the year over and over...But It also shows that the numbers in those areas have declined in some and increased in others...

Once my data book is over 20 years old...Im going to get with someone and It might be Jody with LSU and let him use the data for his benefit.

I keep all details like tide, moon, wind, salinity, water temp, and locations