SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #14  
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,648
Cash: 4,282
Default

Here is what I do to keep the crabs before cooking them.

I bring plenty of ice with me to keep them cool after catching them. When I get home, I usually transfer the crabs to a 48 qt. ice chest. I then cover them with a wet towel. I put a generous amount of ice on top of the towel.

I then open the drain and put in a piece of cloth or paper towel. This helps keep in the cold air but allows the water to drain out. I put a 2x4 board under the opposite end of the ice chest to allow all the water to flow toward the drain.

I then put the ice chest in a spot that will be out of the sun. This is important to find a cool shady spot to keep the ice chest from getting hot from sitting in the sun. During the hot summer time, I also cover the ice chest with a wet towel.

Check the ice chest and add more ice as needed. I usually don't boil my crabs until the next day and this method will keep them alive for a couple days if needed.

I am not sure if this is true ......but......I have been told that if a crab is stored up-side down, it will die. Also, if a crab is not cold [ie. still moving around] it will "drop" the claws when it is put into the boiling water.

Here are a few pictures. The crabs in the basket are "cull" size after I keep all that are 6"+ tip to tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LN & Dad 6-05.jpg (43.0 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg 6 at once.JPG (136.5 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg 5 dozen all # 1's.jpg (61.8 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg Ice chest drain.JPG (168.2 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg Keeping crabs cool.JPG (170.5 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg Throw backs.jpg (103.4 KB, 492 views)
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map