SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182
Default Big Lake 4-19-10 PM

Now that my fun but unsuccessful Turkey hunting season is over....it is time for some relaxing fishing.

I made one trip last week, in the Prien Lake area. The water looked fairly good in the 210 bridge area.....but not a lot of salt in the surface water. There was bait everywhere along the banks.....and fish chasing the very small Shad. I caught a couple of Rat reds and one nice 19" trout. I hooked another nice trout, but it got off as it came close to the boat.

The water north of the Port of Lake Charles was fairly muddy. It could have been stirred up from one of the ships at the dock. I did not go farther north.

4-19-10 Report

After watching the almost calm north winds during the morning.....I hooked up the boat to go see if the good reports would hold true for another day.

I got to Hebert's landing about Noon. There were about a dozen trailers in the parking area and many of the guide boats were out on the water.

Coming through Lake Charles......the flags were showing the wind to be ~ 5-7 mph out of the NE. At Big Lake the winds were about the same but coming from the West or SW. I guess the "front" must have still been just north of Big Lake.

Once out on the water it looked very good and there was just a little “ripple” to the surface. Had some "green" color and visibility was ~ 18". It tasted fairly salty......good.

There were a few Gulls working down the East bank, and I don't pass up an easy chance to catch some fish, so I circled the birds to get up wind. [Note: there was another boat fishing the birds, but I was 200+ yards from him]. After a few cast, this is when I realized the winds were out of the West and I was on the wrong side of the birds.

The birds were not concentrated in one spot and moving fairly fast. After I finally got near the fish, I caught my first “Big Lake" since before Turkey season and scouting time. The birds moved on, but they had told me where the fish were…….and I caught a few more in that spot.

I moved on farther south, and found a few more birds and caught a few more Trout. I drove up near the first weir but did not fish there. There were 2 guys standing on the weir and fishing the back side. Where are the GW when you need them? The water was going into the marsh fairly hard.

By 3 PM, the wind had picked up to 10 to 12 mph from the SW and the lake was getting fairly choppy for my 15’ boat. I kept heading south and tried fishing along the bank to see if I could find some Reds. Nothing after fishing for a ½ mile of bank.

To get out of the wind, I headed for Grand Bayou. There were 3 boats fishing inside……….all legal!!!! That is a first in a long time. They said that they were only catching Rat Reds. I caught some bait with the cast net and tried Lamberts bayou…..did not get a bite. When I got back to Grand Bayou…..there were no boats there. That should have told me something, but I had to give it a try. After catching 3 Rat reds and about ½ dozen crabs [ ~4.5” to 5”] For you guys with bigger boats……..the water was about a foot higher in the lake and coming through the weir fairly hard.

I headed back out into the lake to find some more trout. I tried Baskin reef and along the bank some more but did not get a bite. There were a couple of “Waders” a mile or so north of Grand [~ 4 PM] was that anyone on here?

I found a few birds as I headed north……but could not locate any fish. By this time, my boat was bouncing a lot in the ~ 1 foot chop. When I got up near Hebert’s, I headed west to see if I could catch some more fish. The only thing I found was water “spray” from hitting the waves at a bad angle.

I called it a day with 13 nice trout 13” to 19” in size. I caught all the Trout on Glow/char Sand eels. I talked to a couple of other boaters and they said that the bite was very good early in the day when the lake was calm.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Now that is how a report is supposed to be.......wow
Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

sounds like a pretty good day if you ask me....
Old 04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

ray aint got shat on this report.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,573

That was pretty solid. Nice report Gerald
Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Sailfish

I forgot to add the picture.......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 Trout 4-19-10.jpg (41.4 KB, 244 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,505

nice catch!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

congrats on da catchin and very well written report.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

glad you got on some fish gerald good trip
Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Dats guud eatin.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 656

Thanks for the report.....
Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,773

Good fishing report!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,052

gerald great report........what are you using for ice. that is odd looking shape
Old 04-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
gerald great report........what are you using for ice. that is odd looking shape
I use the plastic "tubs" that butter come in.....is says 45 oz. on the container. If you fill the container full and freeze it, the bottom will bust out. So I fill them ~ 1/2 full and after it freezes, I either fill it full and let freeze or take out the ice and start over. "blocks" of ice will last much longer than bags of ice that you buy.

If the ice pieces are still fairly large after using them.....I rinse the ice off and put them in a plastic bag before putting them in the freezer.

The ice pieces will then stick together.....creating odd shapes if they are not broken appart.

I also have some 1 liter and gallon size frozen bottles that I use. The bottles were taken out for picture taking. I like to keep my fish well iced down.