SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Flounder

Cash: 654
Default How much should i pay - Chevy 3500

First off, my thoughts and prayers to those affected by the oil.

Do any of you have chevy 3500 HD DRW pickup? I need one to pull my RV. Invoice is $37,883. But if the sale guy said "what would it take to get you into this truck today?", what would you tell them as far a price goes?

Some say $10K below invoice, others say less, others say more.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Ive always been told if you get out after TTL at or below the list price you did good. Ask to see what they paid for it. They have to show you and Yes that is a legit figure. A buddy in the car business told me its against the law for them to show you a fake document. Also don't let them give you the I gotta make money too crap, cuz they get their money from the distributor at the end of the month based on their sales numbers. Everything they squeeze out of you is just bonus in their pocket
Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Autotrader.com.....buy a used one save thousands
Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Autotrader.com.....buy a used one save thousands
I bought a used 3500 SRW, which is the truck i currently have. But the RV I have is bumping 14K pounds and the SRW truck is a little overloaded. I usually do buy used. But right now the interest rates on the new ones are considerably lower than the used.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

14k???!!!! What you pulling? Fort Knox? Call Darren at oustalet......their banner is at the top of the page.....he'll hook ya up....just don't tell him W sent you, he'll Jack up the price......good folks over There
Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
Ive always been told if you get out after TTL at or below the list price you did good. Ask to see what they paid for it. They have to show you and Yes that is a legit figure. A buddy in the car business told me its against the law for them to show you a fake document. Also don't let them give you the I gotta make money too crap, cuz they get their money from the distributor at the end of the month based on their sales numbers. Everything they squeeze out of you is just bonus in their pocket
Not true for Ford, Dodge, and GM. There is no "Distributor". I've been in the car and truck biz for nearly 20 years. If I made 1/3 of what people think I make, I wouldn't be fishing from a 15' flatboat with a tiller 25!

Do your homework, you can go to Edmunds, NADA, multiple sites that will give you exact cost on the vehicle you want. Then, you simply go to the mfgr websites, and find the truck you want. All of the rebates will be available on the websites.

Now, as far as invoices, you can't fake one, but there is NO obligation to show it to the customer. I've never refused anyone to see one, not even a prime product like a Mustang Cobra. I'll show you invoice, but you were gonna pay sticker if you wanted it. NOTE, paying sticker price is ONLY for primo items like GT40, Cobra, and F150 Raptor. There are no rebates or incentives on these vehicles.

Right now there are a few dealers advertising $10k off of this, $12k off of that. Well, in that $$$ off promotion, they include pkg discounts (which you get no matter what) and they are also figuring off of their "bump" sticker, which typically will have over-priced pinstripes, window tint, etc. on it. Their big "special" will also be only on certain stock numbers. Say, a truck that's been on the lot for a year.

Here's how you should address buying a vehicle:

1. Decide what you can afford, be it cash, finance or lease. For typical 60 month financing with good credit, you can use this scale:
a. $20k financed = $400/mo
$25k = $500/mo
$30k = $600/mo etc.
2. Decide on the brand, and do your homework as to what package fits your wants and needs. And budget.

3. Now you start your search. Ask your friends and neighbors who they have dealt with recently. Most of us are not the old snake oil salesmen of yesteryear.

I'm about to get busy, so let me wrap this up. Find a salesman you like, at a store with a good reputation. You wouldn't believe how many customers I have that are now friends.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
14k???!!!! What you pulling? Fort Knox? Call Darren at oustalet......their banner is at the top of the page.....he'll hook ya up....just don't tell him W sent you, he'll Jack up the price......good folks over There
Pulling a Newmar Cypress 37LSRE, dry weight = 13,690 #. Hell for stout RV.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyphisher View Post
Not true for Ford, Dodge, and GM. There is no "Distributor". I've been in the car and truck biz for nearly 20 years. If I made 1/3 of what people think I make, I wouldn't be fishing from a 15' flatboat with a tiller 25!

Do your homework, you can go to Edmunds, NADA, multiple sites that will give you exact cost on the vehicle you want. Then, you simply go to the mfgr websites, and find the truck you want. All of the rebates will be available on the websites.

Now, as far as invoices, you can't fake one, but there is NO obligation to show it to the customer. I've never refused anyone to see one, not even a prime product like a Mustang Cobra. I'll show you invoice, but you were gonna pay sticker if you wanted it. NOTE, paying sticker price is ONLY for primo items like GT40, Cobra, and F150 Raptor. There are no rebates or incentives on these vehicles.

Right now there are a few dealers advertising $10k off of this, $12k off of that. Well, in that $$$ off promotion, they include pkg discounts (which you get no matter what) and they are also figuring off of their "bump" sticker, which typically will have over-priced pinstripes, window tint, etc. on it. Their big "special" will also be only on certain stock numbers. Say, a truck that's been on the lot for a year.

Here's how you should address buying a vehicle:

1. Decide what you can afford, be it cash, finance or lease. For typical 60 month financing with good credit, you can use this scale:
a. $20k financed = $400/mo
$25k = $500/mo
$30k = $600/mo etc.
2. Decide on the brand, and do your homework as to what package fits your wants and needs. And budget.

3. Now you start your search. Ask your friends and neighbors who they have dealt with recently. Most of us are not the old snake oil salesmen of yesteryear.

I'm about to get busy, so let me wrap this up. Find a salesman you like, at a store with a good reputation. You wouldn't believe how many customers I have that are now friends.
thanks flyfisher. but if invoice is $37,000, but i'm not certain this is a good starting point. is invoice what you would expect to pay (plus $1-2K)? thanks again.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,563

There's a big difference between invoice and MSRP. Make sure you are using the correct terminology, because they may be $12k apart on that truck. If invoice is $37k, you'll be lucky to get it much cheaper than that. If $37k is MSRP, you may be able to get it for $25k. If you want to know the bottom line, send some emails to dealers and let them bid the truck online. Go back to each one with the other's latest offer and see how low they go.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Flounder

Right shadman. MRSP is $40.6K and invoice is $37.8K. Thanks again for the info.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Westerly neighbor

Hmmm...not sure if that is the true dealer invoice on that truck, unless it is a Duramax. The MSRP is usually $10k or more over dealer invoice. If it's not a Duramax, he ain't showing you the real invoice. If it's a Duramax, that's a decent deal for a base model.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
Hmmm...not sure if that is the true dealer invoice on that truck, unless it is a Duramax. The MSRP is usually $10k or more over dealer invoice. If it's not a Duramax, he ain't showing you the real invoice. If it's a Duramax, that's a decent deal for a base model.
Not anymore. The difference between MSRP and invoice has been shrinking for the past 10 years. Used to be if we had an F150 with MSRP of $25,000, we had about $4,000 of markup + rebates to fool with. No longer. On a $20,000 vehicle, we have about $1,000 of profit margin + rebates to work with. On a $30,000 MSRP, we have about $1,800 or so to play with + rebates. Occasionally, you will find giant rebates, like in the winter of 2008, when business was falling off and all mfgrs were over stocked. I was selling regular cab V6 auto trans F150s that stickered for $21k for $14,500. I sold 3 F350 Duallies that stickered for $53k for $39,500. That was an anomaly, we just had huge rebates from the factory to move inventory.

If I had $10k to play with between invoice and msrp + rebates, that would make my avg profit $6,000, which would pay me $1,800 commission per truck. Times that by 10 trucks per month, that would be an $18,000 paycheck per month.

Salesman's commission on profit is 25-30%. To make any kind of decent money, you have to sell 10 trucks or more per month. I'll sell em all for invoice if I need to so that I can get my unit bonuses.

80% of my business is repeat customers/referrals, and 80% of that is commercial business.

Once again, if you question the dealer's invoice, just get a copy of the window sticker and build the truck on Edmund's or NADA.

Nobody I know would take the time to create fake invoices. You would need 2 sets of files, the real files and the fake files. LOL.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Redfish

If anyone has any questions about the auto business, just ask. My website is cajunhopper.proboards.com

I go by Cajunhopper on most other sites, or Wil.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Flounder

thanks a lot for the info flyphisher and shadman.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Westerly neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyphisher View Post
Nobody I know would take the time to create fake invoices. You would need 2 sets of files, the real files and the fake files. LOL.
I used to sell trucks. We had a "suggested" invoice (nowhere near what we actually paid) and an actual dealer invoice. The customer *NEVER* got to see one of our actual dealer invoices. I've driven out (TTL and all) at well under $10k off MSRP on my last two new trucks ('04 F250 diesel and '06 Chevy Silverado). I don't know if this has changed in the last couple years or not. If it has, GM is just keeping more profit to themselves, 'cuz the cost of building 'em hasn't gone up that much. GM would have to be making around $15k - $20k profit on every Duramax leaving the lot if there is only a couple thousand in difference between the MSRP and what the dealer is paying.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i need a new truck, who wants to help me ??
Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Flounder

Cash: 639

Quote:
I used to sell trucks. We had a "suggested" invoice (nowhere near what we actually paid) and an actual dealer invoice. The customer *NEVER* got to see one of our actual dealer invoices. I've driven out (TTL and all) at well under $10k off MSRP on my last two new trucks ('04 F250 diesel and '06 Chevy Silverado). I don't know if this has changed in the last couple years or not. If it has, GM is just keeping more profit to themselves, 'cuz the cost of building 'em hasn't gone up that much. GM would have to be making around $15k - $20k profit on every Duramax leaving the lot if there is only a couple thousand in difference between the MSRP and what the dealer is paying.
if you worked for a dealer that produced its own invoices, i would have to say that was a dishonest dealership.

the average profit margin between MSRP (list price), and dealer invoice is about 10%.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE JAMES View Post
if you worked for a dealer that produced its own invoices, i would have to say that was a dishonest dealership.

the average profit margin between MSRP (list price), and dealer invoice is about 10%.
JJ, i don't think i've ever been to a totally honest dealership.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Westerly neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE JAMES View Post
The dealership didn't produce them, the manufacturer (Chrysler/Dodge) did...same as the manufacturer produces a MSRP sticker when they know it is not an accurate reflection of value or sales price.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Redfish

Quote:
The dealership didn't produce them, the manufacturer (Chrysler/Dodge) did...same as the manufacturer produces a MSRP sticker when they know it is not an accurate reflection of value or sales price.
I only sold Dodges for a few months, I've been Ford or Linc-Merc other than that.

On a $40,000 truck, the factory makes between $15-$20k. Dealer average profit on new vehicles is somewhere between $800-$1,000. Occasionally you will hit a home run and make a big money deal, but that is hard to do.

Believe it or not, sales to the Gov't (from towns to states and fed agencies) are the highest profit deals. That's all I'm saying about that, I'm waiting for 1 guy to retire, then I get all the gov't bid work. Then I'll be making bank.