SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 652

Quote:
......so what is the bussiness
It is nothing cool or awesome, I have been cleaning kitchen exhaust systems, it is how I paid for college. I have been doing it for a while here just to pick up some extra cash, but I have enough clients now that I feel confident to make the jump on my own. If I fail, i will just go back selling peas, carrots and corn.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
It is nothing cool or awesome, I have been cleaning kitchen exhaust systems, it is how I paid for college. I have been doing it for a while here just to pick up some extra cash, but I have enough clients now that I feel confident to make the jump on my own. If I fail, i will just go back selling peas, carrots and corn.
Work doesn't have to be glamorous.

Ya know what the difference is between the President and your garbage man is?... You wouldn't even notice if the president took a week off!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
doing somthing no one else wants to or can do is a sure way to make money
Old 05-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

I was self-employed for 27 years and loved it. It was hard work, but, most businesses require that to be sucessful. Now, I have the best job I've ever had working for the best person I could ever imagine. The work is not easy, either, but, I choose my own hours and I get to sleep with the boss every night.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Banned

taxes, insurance, risk, long hours/stress, possible lawsuits, .gov red-tape, estate taxes have taken away my ambition/drive to do it
Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

My dad had a 1 man a/c business for over 30 years. Got to be there for the customers when ever they want, or you lose business.
It's good money, just have to work all the time.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Pox's SCORE idea is right on................
starting a business today and starting one when our dad's did is two totally different things.
My dad has banged out a great business and has accumalted serveral million dollars of assetts, but that's just it, not many people in the used tow truck market.

point is, back in the day he was able to go the "cash" route. He ran the business out of his wallet for 40 years.
That is hard to do today.

Good luck man.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 652

Luckily for me I am married to a CPA/Tax Attorney. My wife is much smarter than me and can handle the government/tax portion. I already have the majority of the equipment needed that I purchased along the way. I have enough clients to start but I need to hustle up some more,

Quote:
risk, long hours/stress, possible lawsuits, .gov red-tape,
I am dealing with these things now working for somebody else. Might as well work for myself. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I think the last thing to do then is get you a "go to" team of successful business guys that will coach you and tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear!

Happy for you man, wished I had the stones.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Luckily for me I am married to a CPA/Tax Attorney. My wife is much smarter than me and can handle the government/tax portion. I already have the majority of the equipment needed that I purchased along the way. I have enough clients to start but I need to hustle up some more,

I am dealing with these things now working for somebody else. Might as well work for myself. Thanks for the responses guys.
If u have a solid customer base more will come if u run your business thecway u would want to be treated I never leave a customer unhappy even if it costs mr $ I'd rather loose $ than have a person smear my name in the mud... Long hours sometimes no pay is worth it to me... I just started a new business 2-3 months ago 500k in the hole from day 1 yes it's a risk but do the proper footwork n you will be fine
Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
I think the last thing to do then is get you a "go to" team of successful business guys that will coach you and tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear!

Great advice!! I wish I had done more of this. I had some folks pushing me but, when I went, they faded quickly and left me to do for myself.

The silver lining to this all is now, I'm pissed about it and am out to prove something!

Like you said before, if it fails, you can always go back on what you did before.