SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #22  
Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Slidellkid Slidellkid is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kinder, LA
Posts: 1,440
Cash: 1,635
Default

Well, last year I killed my 160th deer and about 140 of those have been with a high powered rifle. I have used lots of calibers and it really is hard to go wrong. I've killed a couple with a 7mm-08 and it worked perfect. My brother has killed over 75 deer with his 7mm-08 in the last eight years (in South Carolina where there is no limit on bucks) and loves his. He had a 30-06 before his 7mm-08 and did just fine with it as well but the little 7mm-08 does the same job without all the fuss. By the way, my brother uses the regular old Remington Core-Lokts (140 grain) and loves the way they perform and kill deer. He's tried other brands including the Hornady SST 140 grain and was less than impressed.

About two-thirds of my deer have been killed with one rifle - a Remington model 700 in .264 Winchester magnum. This caliber is 6.5mm and is smaller than a .270 but larger than a 25-06. I shoot the 140 grain bullets and I have never found a round that kills deer quicker. It's like lightning struck them - there really is a difference between it and the other calibers I have used and that is why have continued to use it since 1986. I had a 25-06 before the .264 and killed eleven deer with it one year and most dropped in their tracks, but the ones that didn't left a very skimpy blood trail that was difficult to follow through thick swamps and brush. Prior to the 25-06 I owned two different .270's and both were very good.

Knowing how well my brother has done with his little 7mm-08, if I had to buy a rifle today I would probably pick one up. The short action is very handy and makes for a more compact rifle and that would make it much lighter than my .264. I also have a close friend that has killed well over 100 deer with a beat up old Reminton modell 788 in .308. You've picked some good caliber and really can't go wrong. Though I would personally shy away fromt the .243 I have buds that swear by them too.
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map