SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965
Default fish cakes

Good recipe for king fish. I've also use leftover fried fish that I chopped up finely.

First get a skillet hot and saute' with half a stick of butter, an onion, a bell pepper, a jalapeno or 2 if you like it hot, and 4 stalks of celery. I try to get some brown color on the veggies before I take em off the heat. Once cooked to your liking, put the veggies into a large mixing bowl to cool. Then get a pot of water boiling with crab/crawfish boil in it. Drop in fileted fish. once the meat is cooked, remove and put it in the large mixing bowl. Let it cool all the way down and flake it up. When its cool, start breaking raw eggs into the fish meat/veggie mixture, and stir them together. Put in enough eggs so that the meat is wet but not gooey. Then put a sleeve or 2 of ritz crackers in a gallon ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to pulverize them. I try to make a fine dust. (this is a good time to get the kiddos into the kitchen, mine always have fun crushing the crackers)Then slowly stir the cracker dust to the wet fish mixture. Add just enough so that the fish will hold together. Too much and it wont stick and too little and it won't stick. Then I heat a black skillet with a thin layer of vegetable oil. When the skillet is hot, I make patties, and cook em up just like hamburgers. (watch the temp on the skillet, because you don't wanna blacken the patties, med/low works for me) My wife usually makes a cole slaw and we serve the fish patties on big hamburger buns with a tomato slice and a pile of homemade cole slaw on the burger. I have served this dish to a whole bunch of people, and have never heard anybody say they didn't like it.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Sounds good.....