SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909
Default Anyone use their boat for diving/spearfishing

I have never went diving in this country, I have never been certified, but I have been in other countries where the rules ... well what rules.

If I am getting a boat, I would like to use it to dive once and a while, and spear fishing wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities.

I am looking at 22' class bay boats right now, and was curious on your thoughts on that type of boat for diving as long as it had a sturdy dive ladder and proper safety gear on board. It would probably be used for two up, two down diving, mostly in Florida, but the occasional spear fishing trip in Louisiana wouldn't be out of the question.

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:45 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Nope I use mine all the time but u can pretty much only go on 1ft seas anytime time it says 1-2 it's usually too rough... I've been 60 miles in my bayboat... But I ain't right either lol but then again most people that spearfish ain't right either!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:35 AM
Flounder

Cash: 451

We use to dive all the time out of bayboats, worst part is just finding room for all your gear and tanks
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I dove out of my kayak once and wouldn't dout a few fish came close to being speared by my fishing pole
Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass2222 View Post
We use to dive all the time out of bayboats, worst part is just finding room for all your gear and tanks
Some hardcore divers, are well hardcore. I see pictures of them with 4 guys in a 17' boat in blue water and just think they are crazy.

I know the biggest issues are having enough room to get in and out of your gear and getting back into the boat. Both of those are not an issue with a 22' class boat. They have plenty of room for putting a quality dive ladder and and the front or rear deck can serve as a space to sit and unload gear, if you don't unload in the water and send it up to a dive buddy (Easiest way I found to do it in Mexico)

I am not talking about hardcore weekly diving, I talking about a few dives a year when in the right place. Gotta get the boat first though...
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Best thing that saves space is they sell these fish bags to hold ur fish u can use as ice chest takes up less room and can put it in more places than having 3 120qts on boat