SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,263
Default Got my new 4 stroke and WOW!

I finally made the plunge last week after reading y'all's advice and doing a lot of internet research, I decided to swap out my 1996 Mariner 200 HP EFI 2-stroke for a new (2012) Yamaha VMax SHO 225 HP 4-Stroke. You can read about my concerns with the swap on this thread under "2 stroke to 4 stroke conversion help". I took my boat with the new Yamaha out last Monday for the initial 3 hour breakin. Following manufacturer's instructions, I idled at various RPM for an hour, then put it on step at various RPM for another hour, then got to open it up to see what she'd do. WOW!! From hole shot to top end, this motor does it ALL, and does it WAY better than my old 2-stroke 200. It does have 25 more horses, but it has 100 horse improvement over my old motor. I am stoked! Tommy at H & M Marine in Crowley set me up (I dropped boat off late Thursday afternoon and they called at 8:30 Saturday morning to come pick up boat, and that included installing new hydraulic steering). They had a 19 pitch prop on the motor and I knew it was going to be way too small for my heavy Champion Coastal Series boat. Shows what I know. The tach topped out with motor tilted to full roostertail at 6100 RPM, and a perfect 6000 at WOT without the insane motor tilt. The boat literally JUMPS out of the hole, and accelerates like a bat outta h---, top speed is 5-6 mph faster than the old 2 stroke, and coupled with the much improved fuel consumption, I AM ONE HAPPY CAMPER! All my fears are allayed, and I hope this will help those of you looking to upgrade to the new 4 stroke SHO Yamaha, it is really an impressive motor. And I forgot to mention, it only weighs about 10 pounds more than the old motor.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Congratulations. My next motor will definately be a four stroke
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

I have 6 hours on my new 250 SHO and I echo your excitement! This motor is the real deal. It is one bad dude. I just like cranking it up and listening to it idle! It sounds different than any other outboard and it just begs for you to throw the throttle down. I am in love with it so far and can't get enough of it. I am glad you are enjoying yours as well. I bet it looks sweet on the back of that Champ! Post up some pics and let us check it out
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 758

The Yamaha Sho is going to be the new standard.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,782

I have the 250 sho on my 24ft sea fox and we also have it on our 25+ majek. they are two totally different boats but both have awesome performance and fuel effeciancy!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,263

I agree that this motor may be the new standard for outboard performance. I will snap a couple pics of rig this weekend when I take it out to finish break in and throw a few lures between the running time hours. I post pics of fish as well. LOL