SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 976
Default Love bugs

I have my sons birthday party next weekend at my house and the love bugs are thick here. I know there is not a permeant solution to getting ride of them but do you guys have and suggestions, home remedies, old folk tricks to make them thin out for a while?? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,009

Never tried to get rid of them before but I would try a bug/mosquito spray can fog a couple of days before to see if this works. If that does not work try diluting some Malathion and spraying your yard using a garden sprayer a few days before to see if that works. Malathion smells bad so you def need to do this a day or so before. Check with your local mom/pop feed/garden store and make sure this would be safe and if not they may have more viable solutions. If the party is later in the p.m. the bugs don't seem as bad as you know.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 976

Party is at 4. I have been out here all afternoon and they come in waves. I will try it. Thanks n
Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I have a 15 year old truck and a 1 year old truck.
Only the 15 year old truck goes out during the Luv Bug season.

I don't know of any animal, bird or insect that eats Luv Bugs.

I had a fogger that would kill them, if you hit them with the fog.
But if you just sprayed the yard, it kept the squeeters out, but
not the Luv Bugs.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Them damn things have no purpose in life, 2 days after 24 hours of 40 MPH winds they were out in full force like nothing ever happened!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

a good remedy! a can of spray paint and a lighter! just kidding, but not really!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

The life span of these critters is only 24-72 hours. Hang in there...they'll be gone in a couple days.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The life span of these critters is only 24-72 hours. Hang in there...they'll be gone in a couple days.

But there's billions!!!!! I could only sit on my back porch for a few minutes the other day before getting pissed and going back inside.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,113

Need to find a market and develop harvest procedure. Turtle/fish food, chocolate covered, necklace-bracelet, earings, maybe some type of adhesive (sure stick to my truck).
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
But there's billions!!!!! I could only sit on my back porch for a few minutes the other day before getting pissed and going back inside.

Micah, get ya a white plastic 5-gal bucket. Fill it with water and set it 10-12' or so away from where you're sittin' on your porch. They'll go to the white and the ones that get in the water can't get out. That bucket will actually turn black........with orange trim. I noticed it at my dad's house. He'd put it close by to keep 'em away from the doors so they don't go inside when it's opened. The bucket has got to be white, tho. Oh, and it needs to be in the sun. For some strange reason...the hotter it is...the better they like it.

It works!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,318

Quote:
Micah, get ya a white plastic 5-gal bucket. Fill it with water and set it 10-12' or so away from where you're sittin' on your porch. They'll go to the white and the ones that get in the water can't get out. That bucket will actually turn black........with orange trim. I noticed it at my dad's house. He'd put it close by to keep 'em away from the doors so they don't go inside when it's opened. The bucket has got to be white, tho. Oh, and it needs to be in the sun. For some strange reason...the hotter it is...the better they like it.

It works!
I'll give it a shot, thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:

It works!

I'll have to remeber this!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Great White

You can also open a jug of mineral spirits or paint thinner and do the same thing. Might wanna put a screen over the opening if you wanna save it, tho. You talk about flockin'!! They love them fumes. Put it in the sun, too., with the lid off.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,345

Quote:
You can also open a jug of mineral spirits or paint thinner and do the same thing. Might wanna put a screen over the opening if you wanna save it, tho. You talk about flockin'!! They love them fumes. Put it in the sun, too., with the lid off.
Reminds me of some people I know.

Get high everybody, get high.