SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919
Default rockafeller

Me and my grandfather are planning our first fishing trip together.Were heading down to rockafeller to do some cast netting and crabbing.I was wondering if any body could give me some tips on were to catch some red fish.My grand father is 78 years old retired from the army and survived two tours in vietnam complete with two purlpe hearts.Hes also survived over 60 years of marriage,And has never caught a redfish.I am realy hoping that i could get him on some reds,And was wondering if any of you experts could give some advice on were to catch red fish.Around rockafeller havnt made it there much this year and was wondering what the reds have been doing would really appreciate any help thanks and god bless
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

have a buddy with a camp on rollover landing and he told me last week the reds were so thick at the casting wier that no one could throw a net last saturday. Dont know if they are still there,but it is worth stopping and asking.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

i know when i used to go before katrina.. i'd fish shrimp on the bottom by the lsu weir and i'd always catch some.. Haven't been there since though
Old 09-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

And if they are not still inside the wier. try early while the tide is coming out. Find the deep spot on the outside of any of the weirs people are catching shrimp. Position your boat on the opposite side in the shallow part and throw into the deep and retrieve out of it. I dont know if that makes any since, but wier, deep, shallow . also more to where the water is flowing or turns in the canal. Throw any plastic on the bottom that has a dark color and tip with shrimp. or use live or dead shrimp. doesnt really matter they will hit almost anything right now.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Ling

just remembered a good spot... if you launch out of rockafella and take your first left, go down there and there is a cut on the left with some cement blocks on the point and there a weir there too, but fish that point we used to catch some there too.. and by the game wardens camp also
Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Thumbs up game warden camp

Were is that located ive been to lsu wier,the mouth,mudhole,and i know were jpeff is talking about.Do you know whats past the mud hole does that ever open into marsh.Ive never passed the mudhole before.Ive also never gone right from were the canl from the boat launch t's.Appreciate all the helpful tip fellas.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Ling

if you go right from were the canal from the boat launch is.. thats where the game warden place is... Its also very pretty back there and we usually see some deer. There an old pipeline or something that runs back there i think (its been a while) but if it has current we usually catch some drum or redfish there too lol Btw we used to use white curly tail grubs tipped with shrimp to kind of catch a mix of fish. We used to catch tons of flounder right at the launch shoot we'd even catch redfish there also lol But lots of flounder like by that little pipe you cross to get to the launch and in that rectangular like open at the launch.. I need to go back over there! Thats where we attempted to learn how to spec fish lol We learned A LOT since then lol
Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Thumbs up thanks for the info

appreciate the help