SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #9  
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,648
Cash: 4,282
Default

Swamp.......I wrote that up several years ago and have edited it many times.

Guess I need to edit it one mort time to make it grammatically correct.

Quote:
There are many fires every year due to this and many people get burned.
I tried to add lots of safety tips to hopefully not cause a fire or someone getting burned from the hot oil splashing. IMO....the best thing is to slow dip the bird about 2-3 inches into the oil and then lift it back up. Do this 3 or 4 times and then lower the bird a little deeper and repeat.

The oil temperature will fall from 375 F down to 325 F by the time you finally put the bird all the way into the oil. I then turn up the gas to reheat the oil. This will take maybe 5 minutes. When the temperature get up to 350 F, turn the gas down a little.

There will still be some water boiling and most of the bird is still fairly cold. In a few minutes most of the water will be boiled off so the gas needs to be turned down...just a little.

Then as the Turkey cooks [bird gets hotter], you don't need quite as much gas to maintain 350 F temperature.....so you will have to adjust the gas again.

************************************************** *****

I fried a 20 lb Turkey a few years ago that my sister bought for Thanksgiving. I had told her that about 16-17 lbs was the biggest that would comfortably fit in my pot. That 20 pounder filled my pot and did not leave a lot of room for oil.

I had to watch the temperature closely and make adjustments every few minutes. I barely had time to get another beer and come back to check the temperature. About 1hour and 15 miuntes later we were ready to eat a perfect golden brown Turkey.
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map