SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #8  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Goooh's Avatar
Goooh Goooh is offline
Swordfish
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Broussard
Posts: 5,660
Cash: 7,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
My experience is that children need lots of practice and experience before being able to safely cast from a boat tons of times. Most boat fishing is with bait (or trolling) in the early years, and they get most of their casting experience from the bank until they can be trusted to avoid the other parties in the boat and the rods, etc.
This has taken me out of the game for fish that really need to be hunted, there isn't much successful trolling going on with my 5 and 8 year old especially if its windy. I stick to shrimp tossing and perch jerking now, hard to leave them behind at all with my conscience so bass and trout are by the wayside!

I buy cheap equipment and stick to 2 rods. Vertical rod holders are nice, but get in the way at their age. I lay mine down and don't get worked up when they step on them too much because they are cheap, if they were standing vertically it would be more stressful dealing with the snagging and untangling than it is when they bend a eye that can be bent right back to normal most of the time - I bring 4 little rods with me for them and I can pick one up and go to fishing if daddy's rod gets broken... The main thing is to keep it fun, caring too much about equipment and going off on them makes it miserable for everyone!

Horizontal holders would be my next route, but the last ones I bought didnt hold up for long - gotta spend more money I guess.
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map