SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668
Default Rig

I'm posting for a coworker, i looked at Rod n reel block database and couldn't find anything, he says he fished there years ago out of freshwater city, I'm guessing it was out of Main Pass at one time. Anyway its in 65ft of water south of Freshwater city, any of you guys know of this rig? It reads 65F in small letters and Main Pass IV in bigger letters.
p5040007.jpg
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

looks like a jackup rig next to a satellite rig
Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,341

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
looks like a jackup rig next to a satellite rig
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Prolly not there anymore being a jack up, rig zone says its in the Persian gulf, don't know if it's accurate.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

http://www.rigzone.com/data/offshore...g/Main_Pass_IV
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Definitely a jack up rig making love to a sattelite.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

The Main Pass rigs were built originally for Global Sante Fe but have since been sold, and I think the Adriatic rigs have also gone. The picture shows the Main Pass IV jack up drilling rig on location of a 4-pile production platform. Large tugs tow the drilling rig where it needs to go, with the legs elevated. Once on location, the legs are lowered to the sea floor and the rig is positioned by a survey company to insure it is in the right place. Once the rig is positioned, the rig fills ballast tanks with sea water to add weight then begins the jack up process which sinks the legs into the mud. Once penetration of mud ceases, it is held there for a specific amount of time to insure the rig legs do not sink any further. Then, the ballast water is pumped out and the rig elevates to a height above the production deck. The cantilever of the drill floor section then extends outward over the production platform, holes are cut throught the decking, and a new well is started. Obviously, sometimes new holes are not needed if they are entering an existing well for service work or side tracking. Just set the BOP's on the existing well and "wolla", your making hole. That is the reader's digest version of it. These jack ups are here one day and gone the next, and chances are, the production platform may be gone by now also. The federal government has decided that these platforms need to go if they are not making money, which really po's me.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Couldnt have said it better Fin...that jackup has moved on to another location. I use to make potable water for the Global rigs back in the day.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

Thanks guys, I'll let him know.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun View Post
Couldnt have said it better Fin...that jackup has moved on to another location. I use to make potable water for the Global rigs back in the day.
I was the medic on Adriatic VI for several years and was my first job offshore. Loved that dang hunk of iron and learned alot from the best crew in the GOM. I didn't know the draw works from the mud pumps when I started. Those guys took me in and made me family, now I sit in an office making money off the knowlege they gave me. Keith Mesker was our supt in Lafayette and he was the man. When I had trouble with my employer, he went to bat for me to make sure I was taken care of. But I busted my arse to take care of my guys - many a nights sticking IV's for dehydration on boat rides in 20' seas with a whole crew sea sick, hiding expired vials of phenergran to handle the nausea and vomiting because they wouldn't send me what I ordered. Those guys appreciated that and we took care of each other. Nowadays..........it's different!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Prolly not there anymore being a jack up, rig zone says its in the Persian gulf, don't know if it's accurate.
Its gonna be a bit of a ride to get there.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
The Main Pass rigs were built originally for Global Sante Fe but have since been sold, and I think the Adriatic rigs have also gone. The picture shows the Main Pass IV jack up drilling rig on location of a 4-pile production platform. Large tugs tow the drilling rig where it needs to go, with the legs elevated. Once on location, the legs are lowered to the sea floor and the rig is positioned by a survey company to insure it is in the right place. Once the rig is positioned, the rig fills ballast tanks with sea water to add weight then begins the jack up process which sinks the legs into the mud. Once penetration of mud ceases, it is held there for a specific amount of time to insure the rig legs do not sink any further. Then, the ballast water is pumped out and the rig elevates to a height above the production deck. The cantilever of the drill floor section then extends outward over the production platform, holes are cut throught the decking, and a new well is started. Obviously, sometimes new holes are not needed if they are entering an existing well for service work or side tracking. Just set the BOP's on the existing well and "wolla", your making hole. That is the reader's digest version of it. These jack ups are here one day and gone the next, and chances are, the production platform may be gone by now also. The federal government has decided that these platforms need to go if they are not making money, which really po's me.
That sounds way more interesting than the boring crap I do all day!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

AD VII and AD X are both working for me right now. They belong to TransOcean now.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
AD VII and AD X are both working for me right now. They belong to TransOcean now.
Where do you have them presently? I was flown to Miami back when AD VI was in tow coming from overseas on the original purchase. We were transfered on board in the Atlantic Ocean and made the tow to Pascagoula ship yard. That was a misreable ride!!!! Barely any food/drinks, sporadic electricity, and everything was written in foreign languages!!!

NIGHTMARE!! - but wouldn't trade it for the world!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Red Snapper

Nigeria
Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Tripletail

We had the R.O Watermakers for Chevron and Apache. Company has ben sold twice since. Think Siemans owns it now. Fin and I make Oil, i bet we have crossed paths.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Red Snapper

Maybe so. The oilfield is a small world.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Tripletail

Even smaller. I grew up across the river in Morgan City!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: 753

Fin, were you also a medic on the High Island 4? I also worked for Global Marine/GSF and was on the AD 4 for a
short time.