SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Hughes Internet

Anyone using Hughes satellite internet! I am considering it since I am sooooo sick of paying AT&T for a home phone that we never use!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Anyone using Hughes satellite internet! I am considering it since I am sooooo sick of paying AT&T for a home phone that we never use!
Don't you still need a phone line to send data?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 PM
King Mackeral

Supposedly!!!!!.................this service is faster than my DSL that we have and comes with free installation. Of course, weather will play a part in it.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

FFF, not sure about the Hughes Internet, but I just solved my home phone isssue. Anyone who has there smart phone with AT&T, they are offering a wireless option to keep your "home phone", it is tied to your data plan you already have. If you sign the 2 year contract you get the wireless reciever for "free", use your existing wireless phone, and it only cost $9.99 per month to keep your home phone. Your land line is finished. It is like another line on your cell plan, the shared minutes are used, but since I wasn't using it anyway it won't change my usuage.

I was paying $47 a month and not even using the damn thing, but wife wanted it for emergencies, which I cant argue with.

I think AT&T realized a lot of people were saying screw it, and cancelling their home phones, so I guess they figure getting $9.99 is better than getting zero. And I can put $480 per year to use somewhere else!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,509

The download speed might be faster but I don't believe upload speed will be as fast. If you do much uploading I think you will see a difference there for sure. Did they say you can get rid of your phone line? If so, I wonder how they handle the upload side of things.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Dont do it!!!!

I have heard about 100 horror stories from guys offshore, you dont get a lot of data and when you go over they throttle you down slower than dial up!!

I have never heard one person say it is worth it

Now some say before they got big it was good because they never throttled your speed but now its a joke
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

I had Direcway/Hughesnet for 4 years. It sucked but was my only choice besides dialup where I live. Have DSL now
Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
The download speed might be faster but I don't believe upload speed will be as fast. If you do much uploading I think you will see a difference there for sure. Did they say you can get rid of your phone line? If so, I wonder how they handle the upload side of things.

FFF, I would recommend our local wireless internet provider, rcsaccess, but I have them and feel these are some of the same issues. They have great service, but I know downloading movies and such is a problem. I heard they may have updated their servers, I just haven't taken the time to find out, you may want to call and ask them a few questions.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 PM
King Mackeral

I will try what h2ofowler says because I am paying $80/month for the phone to ring for telemarketers and Charles Boustany recordings about a town hall meeting. I am sick of it!!! It is really to the point that it rings about 3-4 times a week (max) and nobody in my house gets up to answer the damn thing. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Tonight I asked "are you going to get that?" and my youngest looked at me with a crazy look and said "why?" - Yep, it needs to go!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I will try what h2ofowler says because I am paying $80/month for the phone to ring for telemarketers and Charles Boustany recordings about a town hall meeting. I am sick of it!!! It is really to the point that it rings about 3-4 times a week (max) and nobody in my house gets up to answer the damn thing. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Tonight I asked "are you going to get that?" and my youngest looked at me with a crazy look and said "why?" - Yep, it needs to go!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. you also get to keep your home phone number.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

hughes net is a scam. parents pay an insane amount of money every month for mediocre internet speeds.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Had it for years when we live in country. It sucks. Hated it but it was all we could get.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

If you live where you can get cable Internet that's what I would get. Satellite Internet is more expensive, has data caps and usually isn't as fast as cable.